New Zealand Tour Jan 18 to Mar 7, 2011

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Dang! I hope olGeezer is far enuff from the earthquake!

<looking>

Okay, looks like Orewa is well north on North Island.

Hope any/all of our other members there are okay.

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
There could be an interuption in the internet and/ or other com services down there so we just wait to hear from him. I am sure he is fine.
Now there is something I am getting used to.....waiting.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Thanks for asking guys and gals. All is swell here. I hear they still have 300 missing. Not good for Christchurch. I'm in Mangonui on Doubtless Bay working my way back to you babe!! only 10 days to go and its still good. Hope to have more net time soon

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Yea!!! Your alive!!! Glad to hear from you. Hope to hear you pulled a few folks out of the rubble alive.

Saty safe buddy...

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Stay safe... glad to see you're OK. My heart and prayers go out to you Kiwi's during this trying time.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Tuesday, February 22. Looks (of the hostel) can be deceiving I've heard. When I woke up this morning, I had a lot of bites on my hands and a few on my forehead. I counted 50+ bites on my hands. I wasn't sure what to make of it, maybe sand flies or something. I loaded up and took off. I meet a nice NZ couple at Snell's beach and we ended up having coffee on the beach together. The lady noticed my hands and asked what was wrong and I said I wasn't sure. She suggested it could be bed bugs? I was already guessing that myself. She said "as in the US, they are becoming more common in New Zealand". Since then I have concluded that it is in fact bed bugs. I googled them and sure enough the red blister like bumps are exactly like the pictures I saw on the internet and it all started to make sense. I slept in my sleeping bag and I only had 3 bites on my legs but they had a field day with my hands which were outside the bag all night. I didn't feel anything while they were biting and I read that they inject a little anesthetic into you plus an anti-clotting agent and then just enjoy while you dream. Pretty crafty critters if you ask me. Thank God they didn't get on the boys!! They probably figured the blood supply there would be limited and hunted elsewhere. Its been about three days now and I have no new bites so I am hopeful that none of them got in my bag and luggage to start another colony. I emailed the home office of the hostel and have got no response so far. I am not angry, I would just like for them to address it for future customers as I hear they can be very hard to get rid of . So, when you travel, beware, but I don't know how you avoid them when you sleep in a different bed every night for 6 weeks?
I think I had a few bites on me once before on another trip but can't remember where it was and I did not know what caused the blisters. A good excuse to camp more I guess. They hide during the days and come out at night so how are you going to know? I previously also thought they were not visible to the naked eye but apparently they are big enough to be seen, if you can catch them out. The bites itch a little but mostly just look gross and disgusting. I'm not exactly excited about telling this part of the story but it is good to know for travelers.

Now the good news is.......... I had a nice ride, crossing over to the west side of the island and got to see the Kauri tree museum at Mamaranui. It gave me a good appreciation of the importance of the tree, its gum and the history of its use. I rode further north and got to see the "Big Kahuna" of the remaining Kauri trees (named Tane Mahuta. It was 13.8 meters in circumference and impressive to see. It is estimated to be over 2000 years old. The trunk is tall with branches and leaves only at the top. I imagine most of the remaining Kauri trees are protected. The tree was harvested (it seems) in a quick fashion in the early 20th century. I thought about how quickly America has used some of its best resources. Thousands of years to grow and only a few hours to cut it down.
I continued north to a place called Omapere. You pop up over a hill and a beautiful harbor (Hokianga) is below with a huge, bare sand dune on the opposite side of the harbor. I found another hostel room on an old farm and the owner cooked a dinner of lamb roast for myself, a young German doctor and his wife. The German couple were traveling with their 5 month old daughter. It was good and we had no TV, internet or bed bugs as far as I know. The owners grew there own veggies, fruit and their own sheep. A Kiwi biker sent me text message about the earthquake in Christchurch. It looks like it will be bad for the city for sometime. They are having a benefit ride for the people affected and I wont be here but will donate.
The pic of the lighthouse is on the northern most bit of land on the north island where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific. It was lovely to see waves breaking in two different directions, possibly due to the currents colliding. It truly is a beautiful place.

Attachments

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
I forgot to post some pics of the "big Tree".

RocketMan, yes the Coramandel Loop was really nice. Hope to see the Bay of Islands tomorrow.

George, I was in Christchurch on Feb 3. I rode around a cathedral that was badly damaged looking for my room that evening. They will take some time to recover down there. It's going to be tough on the survivors. Sometimes I forget that they don't have power, good water, destroyed infrastructure, I just think mostly about the fatalities.

Danny, hope the parts are all in order, not that I want to rush you outta your break......
or anything like that.

Attachments

Bike
SuzukiBoulevard
Thanks for asking guys and gals. All is swell here. I hear they still have 300 missing. Not good for Christchurch. I'm in Mangonui on Doubtless Bay working my way back to you babe!! only 10 days to go and its still good. Hope to have more net time soon
Oh hooray, hooray. It's good to know you're safe and okay. Please stay that way.

Gosh, that rhymes - :D

Abby

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Very nice update, Joe...especially nice to hear from you following the long silence after the quake.
The picture are fantastic.
My parts are on order and they may be that way for some time...BUT, there are worse places to be stuck waiting.
Ted Simon is my inspiration when it come s to waiting for parts.

Keep those pics and write-ups coming, my friend.
See you soon.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
February 23, Wednesday. I headed further north to find the "bitter end" of the north island. They had recently sealed the road all the way to Cape Reinga which was good for me and the Orient Express. I was surprised at the beauty of the place when I finally got there. (but why would I be surprised in New Zealand??) I took a bunch of pics and headed back south to find a room and food.
I stopped at Mangonui after having it recommended by two guys on bikes that I had a beverage with on the way up. One fellow was riding a Triumph Tiger which I currently have on the radar screen for my dual sporting acquisition. I ran into two gentlemen who were apparently on a quick trip up the cape that had turned into an annual tradition. I had dinner with Graham and John (Bluenose fish and chips and two bottles of whine). We all had rooms at the Mangonui hotel and the nice owner let me lock the bike inside the compound. The town was still a fishing village and we contemplated going out on a 1 day charter but the weather was forecast for "nasty".

February 24, Thirstday. Graham, John and I had breakfast together and I headed south, riding around the coastline where I could. I did not get very far this day and ended up in Whangaroa. I found a great room to myself with a large window looking down on Whangaroa Harbor. I went down to the harbor for dinner and someone had a striped marlin hanging on the dock that weighed 104 kg. It was huge and I had never seen a fish this big (other than one mounted). I asked a fellow there if it was a large one and he said no. It was not uncommon for them to weigh 240 kg. They smoke the fish and its illegal to sell it. I was wanting some to sample but apparently you must have connections to get it.

February 25, TGIF? Not. I went down for breakfast and ran into Graham and John to my surprise. We chatted for a bit but no place was open for breakfast. Graham told me call him and he would host me for a night if I was in his neck of the woods. I took off looking for more bays and beaches and of course, food. I rode around Takou Bay and found a nice cafe in Kerikeri and the very tasty breakfast (including black pudding, which is some kind of blood sausage?) I left and wanted to go to Russell, which was an old whaling town with quite a reputation for bad men and brothels back in the day? It seemed quite benign now and I had to take a short ferry ride to get there. I rode on south and found a campground at Ruakaka beach on Bream Bay.

Saturday, February 26. I headed south to Wellsford and turned west to Helensville just to avoid the same track I made going north. I stopped at a MacDonalds to try to use their (useless) WI-FI and a fellow there told me I should ride up into the Waitakere Range and to a beach at Karekare and Piha. I was glad I met this guy because the beach and ride there was pretty nice. I had to walk a ways to the beach but when I got there I ran into a friendly officer of the local surf club. They happened to be cooking sausages on the grill and I asked if they were for sale. The man called Phil said no but we will give you one. I insisted on paying and he suggested I could donate to the cause of building a new surf club building. I made a donation and ate two sausages. Phil was informative about the area and in the end he offered to let me camp on his "paddock".
Which I did, and after setting up the tent, I hiked back down to the beach to watch the sunset.....very nice. I sleep well on the paddock with the wind blowing all night and I could still hear the waves crashing on the beach.

Sunday, February 27. I woke up shortly after sunrise and Phil came down and offered me breakfast in his house, which I could not refuse. His wife made bacon and breakfast fritters and it was all good. Phil let me use his computer and when I checked my mail I had a message from Graham telling me his address and with an invitation to come and visit his home. I tried to compensate with another donation for the surf club and rode back up to top of the Waitakere Range. As I was coming back into a town I was stopped by the police. They were doing a safety survey on motorcyclists and I pulled over and surrendered my license. The officer quickly got on his radio and began checking out the bike registration. This prompted questions about whose bike I was riding. I simply told the truth and they were very polite. They liked my safety gear (I think it was the rare and seldom seen here, hi-vis jacket that won them over)and I passed their inspection with a perfect score of 21 of 21!! The officer gave me good directions to Graham's address and I was on my way. I had no difficulty finding Graham's house and he was pulling into his driveway when I called him. He had a very nice place on ten acres and we toured the grounds, sampled his fresh, off the tree, figs and headed out for a tour of Auckland in his car. I really enjoyed my stay with him, we seemed to have a lot in common on how we thought the world should be, and as an added bonus, he was an excellent cook!! Graham had lost his wife about 16 years ago and I could tell that she was sorely missed.

Monday, February 28. I left Graham's place and had to fight a little traffic coming into Auckland but it was not really bad. I had decided to head toward Ragland on the west coast for the night where I ended up in farm hostel with at least 5 Americans and one Canadian, one couple was from Idaho. The owners were friendly and they had wi-fi. I decided to cook in and made a quick trip to store. All is well and the bike drop off point is within a good days ride. Today I found a relatively good specimen of a road kill possum. I took the risk of becoming road kill myself for the pic. I wasn't sure how long it had been deceased or I might have tried to cook it up just to see if it tastes like the "possum amerikanus" we eat regularly back in West Virginia? I think they look like a big squirrel with large ears. Now you might not agree with me on putting them on the dinner table but I do know for a fact that they can make a good sweater out of em here in New Zealand.....:D

Attachments

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Joe, gald to see you scored well on the safety test. I am not surprised.
To bad you couldn't get a taste of the Marlin filet. No pics at least?
Guess you are at the tail end of your trip so enjoy what's left.
Thanks for the update.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Joe, gald to see you scored well on the safety test. I am not surprised.
To bad you couldn't get a taste of the Marlin filet. No pics at least?
Guess you are at the tail end of your trip so enjoy what's left.
Thanks for the update.
Yes, it was one of several times I went for dinner or a walk and forgot the camera. Could be an excuse to come back and go Marlin fishin??? The laws for not selling the meat is to protect them from being over-fished. I gotta go check your report and see how the parts are coming. Ride safe when you get er going.

OP
OP
olegeezer
Bike
2003 ST1300
Do they call them "bangers on the barby"? I bet they were delicious. I'll pass on the possum though, thanks anyway. :p:

Abby
Now Abby, you know sometimes you have to "think outside the bun". Try it, you may not like it but it won't kill ya......or so I've been told.

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Now Abby, you know sometimes you have to "think outside the bun". Try it, you may not like it but it won't kill ya......or so I've been told.
I'm always up for trying food that's touted: "It won't kill ya'" :rofl1:

...No seriously, I'm getting hungry now....

ShaftyNZ

Riding Godzone
Bike
06 ST1300
The scenery down the coast was great and I'm still looking forward to going over the passes going to the east. Just as I got into Haast it started to rain so I slid in sideways (just kidding Shafty)to another backpacker place.
(Cough cough) Yes Joe! LOL :scared2:

ShaftyNZ

Riding Godzone
Bike
06 ST1300
Hmmm bike swap touring? I have not heard of that before but sounds very interesting!!!
Taking the time to visit Tasmania is a definite YES in my books! Just moved to Canberra from Tassie and there are some really great roads to explore!
Hi Homestead,

Yes it was new to me also until Joe and I hooked up. I guess it's a real trust thing, but with a 'sensible' bike like an ST, the Profile of the Rider and swapping like-for-like etc - it's certainly feasible.

We fly Stateside in July to ride Route 66 and I'll be treating Joe's Pan just like my own with TLC. (Though he does owe me a tip-over :rofl1:)

We have Aussie on our list sometime - but how we do it, we haven't decided.

Cheers ShaftyNZ

I

ShaftyNZ

Riding Godzone
Bike
06 ST1300
Hi Joe,

Finally checking in here and just did a quick scan of this thread. Will read it all in the next few days. Sounds and looks like you are having a great trip.

If you did the Forgotten World Hiway you must be near Mt Taranaki. It has loads of hiking (well, the entire country has loads of tramping tracks). And check out Dawson Falls if you get a chance (on the SE side). I'm very interested in the amount of gravel on the FWH as would love to ride that next time.

Sorry to hear about the monkey.

Bruce
Hi Bruce

The Forgotten World Highway (as it is more correctly known) is less than an hour from my front gate. The condition of the small metal (gravel) section, is generally really good - for example, I've ridden thru there 1 handed taking photo's of my Wife on her bike ahead of me) but it can vary if "the county Grader has just gone thru." I rate the route as a whole as one of the best riding roads in the North Island.

If planning a trip, flick me an e-mail ( peteconnolly@xtra.co.nz ) and I'll go for a ride to suss it out for you.

Cheers

ShaftyNZ

Top Bottom