STOC TAG

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
I then continued across country, using some excellent twisties on the A714,A712 and lastly the A702. The fourth is still in the forrest park at the Queens Way and the Grey Mares Tail. The remainder are various shots that show the great scenery. The last is of the church in the village of Moniaive on the 702. As toime was running out and the kids were due home had to head for the motorway via the 702 Dalveen Pass. Sorry I did not have time to get some shots of it. Perhaps another day. Had to 'slab' it home and made it by 5 minutes. Time to sign off for now. Nightshift tonight. A great days riding with the guys - hope you all enjoy the pics. Cheers.

Attachments

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Excellent shots and decent weather for it too!

Thank you for your commitment to this Cammy, you are doing a fantastic job!

OP
OP
STraycatt

STraycatt

Go Ride!!
Bike
2013 Black CB500X
STOC #
Derek always did want to visit Scotland ...

Thanks for helping this along on its way ...

-Adam

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
Hi Folks, another day off during the week and had to run some errands into Glasgow. Decided to go via New Lanark, a World Heritage Village. It was built by the mill owner Robert Owen, who realised that it was more productive to look after his workers and built the village. It contained everything that they required including housing, church, school and of course the mills. These were powered from the water of the river Clyde, which continues into Glasgow.
The first two are shot on the move on the A73 towards Lanark - would never have thought of trying this, but Les Bishop said that UP does it all the time, so I gave it a try.
The third is me at the welcome sign. A German tourist on a propeller driven GS1200 took it but did not want to hang around to have his shot taken - I thanked him and wished him a safe journey and off he went.
The next show a shot of the valley looking towards Glasgow.
The remainder show the village and the Clyde running by. Well worth stop if anyone is over here travelling. The housing is all private now, there is a really good visitor centre and the building in the 2nd last shot has been converted to a high end hotel.

Attachments

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
From New Lanark I made my way through Lanark before dropping onto the valley floor and following the river towards Glasgow. A few shots on the move show the road twisting - however since the last time I was down there they have brought a 40mph speed limit into force for most of it - still a nice road though.
Had to use the motorway into Glasgow as there isn't a decent road that follows the river. The gas storage towers on the right are a good marker to the city centre.
I had the same dilema as I had in Edinburgh. Which building to shoot and which to leave out? I could have easily spent a day or more in both cities - and would urge you to do likewise if you ever get the chance.
Got off the motorway here and stopped off at Cathedral Square which sits next to the Church of Scotland Cathedral and the Royal Infirmary - a fine Victorian building. There are a few snaps of other buildings that are nearby.

Attachments

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
All great shots, Cammy. Scotland doesn't need it's own TAG game, yur getting all the good shots already. Makes me want to travel Scotland.

Good on ya for for doing a great job.

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
From the Cathedral I met back up with the river at Glasgow Green. The city is known as the 'Dear Green Place' due to the amount of public parks, and the Green is one of it's best known. It sits to the east of the city centre and is a pleasant place for a stroll.
The first pic's are of the Dalton Fountain, which was recently refurbished, having fell into disrepair over the years. It was originally gifted to the city by a wealthy merchants family.
Next is the People's Palace, a museum to the history of Glasgow. Like all museums in the city, this has free entry. The large glass structure at the rear is known as the Winter Gardens, which are full of exotic palms and play host to the occasional Tea Dances and concerts for the elderly.
The very artistic building was built as a carpet factory, and still produced till the 70's. It is said to have been modelled on a Russian palace. A very grand place to have worked no doubt.
But, just to show that everything has not faired so well, the old railway station. It now looks sad given its surroundings. The train line still runs below it.
The last 4 shots are the park at its west entrance, the gothic looking building being the High Court of Justiciary. The river and the bridge are a shot looking west.

Attachments

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
The first shot with the TAG shows the weir, which sits adjacent to the High Court and arch in the last post. Up until this point the river is tidal and has threatened to burst it banks in the city centre.
As I continued west, with the river on my left, I stopped for a quick shot of the other Cathedral in the city. This is the Roman Catholic one this time.
Most of the riverside, as with most cities, has been transformed into modern offices or appartments, but the next shot shows that some of the heritage remains.
Clydeport Authority No7 crane, or as it is better known the Finnieston Crane survives today. (there are 2 others further along the river). It sat at a dock, that was infilled in the late 70's to build an exibition centre on, and was used to load steam locomotives onto ships that were heading for the colonies. A nice bit of engineering and is rated as being able to lift 175 tons.
Next are two photos of the tall ship the Glenlee. It is now situated at the new transport museum,(on the right - due to open 21/6, cost ?100 milion). The shots are framed in the back ground by the Govan shipyards, where the latest Royal Navy destroyers were, and the new aircraft carrier is being built. I think it shows a good mixture of the od and the new.
The other photo shows some more development with the air ambulance and police helicopters being framed bt the new BBC tv studios.
------
And I got really confused as to where I was when I seen these two strange looking automobiles!!!!!!!

Attachments

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
The next building is the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, and was one of the main places in Glasgow that I wanted to show. The first two shots are of the museum looking onto the River Kelvin. Legend has it that the building is built back to front, so I went out to the other side - even with the guys help I still couldn't figure it out!. The inside of the building is just as impressive. A grand church organ sits at one side and is usually played on a daily basis.
There are some unusual exhibits, one of which you guys on the other side of the pond might recognise?
And I mention earlier, in jest, a propeller driven machine - they do not come any finer than this, which saw combat in WW2. I used to hang model planes from the ceiling with fishing gut when I was a kid - wonder where they got the idea from.

**sorry, just previewed this and the photos are now out of sequence to the description.**

Attachments

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
A SCOTTISH HILLBILLY!
This one is well off the tourist maps, but in a nice side of town. The plaque says it all. Don't know why, but it makes me think of UP, maybe as it stands on 2 legs instead of wheels.
The Sheriffs horse didn't even mind looking after the guys for a qick photo!

Attachments

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
And finally - for today. Finished off in George Square, the main square in the centre of the city. The building in the shots is the council offices - The City Chambers. A very grand looking building that was apparently used as the Kremlin in the film Gorky Park. The interior has marble staircases and building it today would be prohibiltly expensive. The war monument in front of it is in itself a very impressive structure.
A short whistle stop tour of Glasgow, hope you enjoyed it. I even managed to get the passport form that I came out for!! Till the next ride.

**And here is my final word, to quote the comedian Billy Connolly. Remember - you will have more fun at a Glasgow funeral than you will at an Edinburgh wedding!!**

Attachments

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
------
And I got really confused as to where I was when I seen these two strange looking automobiles!!!!!!!
Looks like the Boys are getting a really nice tour, inspirational to all of us.
I feel right at home with the shot of the NYC Police cruisers. Arresting!
Thanks, Cammy, for taking us along.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Cammy - I am so glad you took over the TAG, you are really doing a fantastic job of taking it out and about..... far better than I could ever hope to manage!

Thank you so very much for your tour and descriptions!

These certainly set the tone for anyone looking to haul it further into Europedom after BritSToc 11........

Any volunteers yet?

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
Les, yes there are offers to take it onto the continent. I will update with the handover and some photos - (and instructions to return it to you). Meeting zbd at Peebles on the way down and making a day of it. Cheers and thanks for the words of support.

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
Cammie, Les,

My plans have firmed up for the Pan Gathering in Belgium. Payment has been made I am definitely going to be up north. We are leaving on 20 August and will be home 10 or 11 September. After the Pan Gathering we are going to ride to the Verdon Gorge in France and then work our way East across the Alps to Villach Austria for European Bike Week and back home.

I'll throw my hat in the ring to carry the TAG for a bit.

JD

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
JD and All, plan is to be in Belgium late August.
Hoping to get a rental or loaner bike for a ride to the Pan Euro rally.
in a perfect world this would lead to a ride south through the Dolomites and Italy to my dads birthplace near Naples.
OH! HOW MY DREAMS are unstoppable. :)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
JD and Danny (and all other attendees), Good on all youse guys for continuing to spread the word world wide. Hope the tag will eventually make make it all way 'round.

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
Thanks George, least I can do. Cammie and I have been e-mailing. He looked at the list of people signed up for the Gathering. The TAG will be handcarried over so I can take it on tour. I will start thinking about the next handoff. I will talk to the Pan Group Presidents at the Gathering and see what we can come up with, maybe a tour of the Pan Groups over here.

It will keep moving! I'll have to see if the boss is going anywhere interesting, do a check ride into the badlands with my stormtroopers (and the TAG!!). I wonder if I can get minature body armor . . . . . .

JD

Top Bottom