George's late winter trip - 2012

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Day 5, Saturday, 3-10 - Made it to Moonshine for a 'burger and on to my sis' place in St. Anthony, IN.

I'll get the details later, including the first 4 days. You can see some of it, tho, on the AZ, NM, and N-TX tags. :D

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Glad to see you made it without incident, George.
How's yer sisters Asparagus patch doing?:broc1::cucumber1::grape1::strawb1::bannana:hotpepper

How come there's no dancing Asparagus when you need it? :confused:

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
George, I'll bet I'm not the only one to worry about you braving the elements to cross the country on two wheels. Looking forward to the details as they happen.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
All is good folks. Here's a couple more pics to help flavor the trip.

Day 1, Kingman to Springerville, AZ: Took longer than expected but still a nice ride. Got gas in Bagdad, $4.10, highest price of the trip.Stopped just east of Prescott to get the old tag pic (Lynx Lake) then over past Mingus Mt. and thru Cottonwood toward Verde Valley. Up on the Mogollon Rim there was a lot of snow but the roads were clean 'n clear. Camped out just south of Springerville on the "old" road which curves around just east of the first hill north of town. Open range cow pasture. Failed to get a pic, but just like all the other camps, including cow pies. 28? at sunrise of day 2.

Day 2, Springerville to 50 miles west of Roswell, NM. From Springerville, headed south with a little trepidation down US-191, Coronado Trail. Gassed up at Alpine for $3.85. Never figured why the gas prices up in the AZ and NM mountains are lower than so many places, given the resort and remote situations. Works for me tho.

I had already seen Antelope (on the prairie thru Prescott Valley, and one deer, but this guy surprised me west of Blue Vista. Came around a nice left-hand mountain turn at prolly 40+ and...
IMG_6257 (1200x900).jpg

Glad he was on the shoulder and not on the road, took me totally by surprise. He was docile, tho. Turned back to get the pic.

Saw more deer and antelope along the way. Turned east at Mule Creek, into NM and on to Silver City. A little grocery shopping there, and rolled on...
All along the way, was fighting the wind from every direction. Lots of dust in the air. Got much worse as I approached Hatch, NM. But that was AFTER enjoying the best road of the trip to that point, NM-152. I guess ol'666 is just to familiar, but 152 is much fresher to me.

(Break time)

Past Hannagan Meadow (closed) and Blue Vista (new AZ tag)

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Good report, George. If you get this far south on you journey, stop by. Got a comfortable place for you to rest. Just PM me if you plan on stopping by.

Vinny

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Okay, where was I? Oh, yeah, past Silver City and turned south on US-180. Found a state police road block due to a head-on just south because of the low visibility from the dust. Turned back north and got on NM-152 and sure glad I did. :D

Made it to ~50 miles west of Roswell before camping 2 miles up FR443 in the Apache National Forest. Expected to see pull-outs but there were none. Figured, this is remote enuff I don't have to worry so just set up at a sem-wide spot on the side of the road...
IMG_6259 (1200x900).jpg Nice spot, with high ridges on either side so the wind was blocked. Sometime during the night a car (Jeep?) went by down hill. I was surprised but no prob. I had fixed a light dinner on Wednesday evening, the simple b'kfast on Thursday before rolling on.

Made it into Roswell and snapped a pic of the UFO Museum as the new NM tag. Stopped at the UFO McD's for coffee and wi-f.i Also filled up in Roswell for $3.46, cheapest of the trip. The tank from Alpine to Roswell returned 47 MPG.Motored on toward Melrose to pic up Mac's old tag of an F-100 in Baxter Park. I used to work on those lead sleds at Hulman Field in Terre Haute, IN, but never this particular one. The whole way up US-70 very windy, mostly head wind 'til I turned north to Melrose and it about blew me over coming from my right front quarter. After getting the pic, rolled straight east toward Clovis and got blown over from the left front. Ugh! :wind1:

Filled up in Clovis with a return of only 30MPG. Don't let anyone tell ya a head wind don't hurt!

On into Texas and found a good spot to camp at Fort Richardson State Park, south of Jacksboro on US-281. Nice enuff camp, found a good spot with lots of trees to cut the wind. Got a visit from Larry's Raccoon during the night but the only damage was it knocked over my coffee cup. Made fresh in the AM anyway, so no real harm. Light dinner and simple b'kfast again. Reasonable price of $8, and I'm just honest enuff to actually pay tho I didn't see a soul. Throughout the park (40+ RV spots plus tent camping) there were three trailers parked. Also saw a HERD of deer of Friday morning as I was leaving. They know where they're protected. :D

Day 4:
The old North Texas tag was in Aubrey, so headed that way on Friday morning. Along the way, caught this ol' stripper well pumping as the sun came up. Seemed a good way to start the day.
IMG_6270 (1200x900).jpg

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
Thanks for the trip report, George. Hope that the entire trip goes well for you. Also if your near Iowa City be sure to call me and stop for the night if need be.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
From Jacksboro east on US-82 is pretty flat 'n straight but still some nice prairie views. Also I LUV the 70MPH speed limits on Texas rural 2-lanes. All states should adopt Texas speed rules.

On into Aubrey and north on 377 past Annie's Kountry Kitchen. Could'a stopped for aggs but I'm determined to lose some weight this trip. Eating my camp cooking a good way to do that. :D Got the old North Texas tag after setting the fiberglass buffalo back on it's feet, then carried on north and east on FM roads 'til I realized, if I'm gonna make it to Moonshine tomorrow better put the hammer down. Did stop in Reno long enuff to get a new tag pic. Also talked to the owner of the shop there. I had seen a flattened garage behind an undamaged house along the way. The owner mentioned they'd had a tornado blow thru just the day before. Yeah, more wind! :twist1: I guess a couple inches of sleet is better than getting stuck in a twister so no complaints here.

Hard east and north, paralleling I-30 past Texarkana and on toward Little Rock. Skipped around on the east side and onto US-67. Things were going well until just past Newport, AR when the fuel lite came on. No sweat, right?

HA! Gas stations are becoming more rare, but I motored on toward Jonesboro. Finally found gas with 309 showing on the odo. Tank took 7.005 gallons for an average that tank of 44. The wind was much more friendly on Friday. :D Stopped at McD's and poSTed the tag pics for AZ, NM, and North TX, then rolled again on US-49 and 412. It was already dark so jumped on I-35 HIT IT! Stopped for a while just below the Mississippi River and did a real Iron Butt Motel for about an hour and a half but the noise from the trucks and a little chill got me moving again about 1:30 AM. Made it as far as Marion, IL before setting up a real bivouac...
IMG_6280 (1200x900).jpgIMG_6279 (1200x977).jpg

Someone had mentioned over at Motocampers the other day about setting the bike wheels on the edge of a tarp to be sure it all held together. I first folded my 8x10 into a double 5x8, parked the bike, then shoved the mattress and bag in there. Cozy. slept for about 4 hours then hopped over to McD's just across the road. A Mickey's Oatmeal and more coffee and I was ready to roll.

Day 5: Daylight, so got off I-57 and started my favorite back-road action: in this case either North or East at just about any intersection. Up thru Southern IL, past I-64 and US-50 toward Effingham. Finally crossed IL-33 so turned hard east 'til I hit IL-49 south of Casey. Stopped long enuff to get these pic. I'd heard of the mug tree but never seen it. The tree owner came out to yack while I was getting pics and took the third shot. She sez there used to be a log book but someone stole it. :( Whazzup with people today?
IMG_6281 (900x1200).jpgIMG_6282 (900x1200).jpgIMG_6283 (993x1200).jpg

From there to Moonshine, I arrived about 10 AM to see only a few folks. Got my 'burger and fresh coffee, kibitzed with a few folks and talked to Jackie (Helen's sister) for a while. She said things had been fairly slow over the winter, seldom sold more than a hunnert burgers. I reminder her, just a few years ago, a hunnert was worthy of a celebration. :hamburger

A while later, Bob Ogg (Scout) showed up. I was pleasantly surprised to see him. More folks had arrived, then a tour bus from Mattoon with about 30 people on board, "We're just out for a day of drinking and partying and decided to stop for lunch." :D Bob mentioned on face book this morning, Moonshine has become a destination like Disneyland. He didn't see Mickey, but he did see Goofy taking pictures...
IMG_6287 Stitch (1200x359).jpg IMG_6288 (837x1200).jpgIMG_6290 (1200x900).jpgIMG_6291 (1200x899).jpgIMG_6294 (1200x900).jpg

That's Bob in the second pic, and the great staff behind the counter in the last. They're always happy to put the sign up at 12:30 (tho they had just served the last customer at 12:45.)

Here's maybe the most important pic of the day, this one specifically for Georgette (Digiamo's lady. :D)
IMG_6286 (1200x900).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Day 5, cont: From Moonshine, carried on to my sister's in St. Anthony, IN. No drama. Gassed up in Jasper. They were out for the evening so I just did a light dinner (after a Moon 'Burger that's all ya need!), shower, and bed.

That's all for now.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
As usual, great ride report, love the tent locations.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Day 6: This is the non-motorcycle part of the report. Slept well on the futon in Bob 'n Di's game room. Got about 10 hours I guess, accounting for DST. There's no windows in the basement so it stayed plenty dark. Still felt like I needed a nap in the afternoon, but...

Brought mom out to the house for her birthday lunch. She's 93 Monday but some folks still need to work so small celebration on Sunday. Bob did a giant lasagna plus some of his home-growed and canned green beans. Yummm! And rum bunt cake, mom's fave.

Here's a couple pics...
IMG_6298 (1600x1022).jpg IMG_6299 (950x1275).jpg

4 generations, mom, sister Di, daughter Tammy, and grand daughter Brooke. Also one of the b-day girl. :D

Day 7: We're headed to town now to bring cake 'n ice cream to the nursing home to share with residents and staff. Not on my diet, but what are ya gonna do. More pics later. :D

Top Bottom