FL to Labrador & Back

Bike
Yamaha XT1200Z
STOC #
I returned about a week ago from a ~7000 trip with a few friends that we accomplished in 18 days. I began in Flordia with a buddy and we picked up three more as we rode through GA, the Carolinas, VA, WV, PA, NY, VT, NH, & ME. I particularly enjoyed WV & the VT/NH mountains. From there we went into NB & NS. We camped on the Bay of Funday, went south into NS and then came back north to become captivated by the scenic beauty, changing altitude, and curves of the Cabot Trail. We got on the ferry in Sydney and toured the west side of Newfoundland. Again the scenic beauty is amazingly breath-taking as were many of the lasses. After that we boarded another ferry and ran up Labrador, rode another ferry and transited the Trans-Labrador Highway (several hundred miles of "dirt") through Quebec and home. What a ride!

The ride up through Newfoundland would be suitable on the ST, but I have to confess that I did do the ride on a DL1000. The St's performance would have been marginal in the sand, mud, and gravel that we encountered. However, I was so captivated by the first part of the Canadian route that I must return to tour it with my STeed. Just thought some might like to know.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Sounds like an awesome ride! I've done much of your ride, but not the part in Labrador and remote Quebec. Got any pix to share?

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
:worthless2

Okay not really - sounds like a great trip, but do you have any pictures. Most of us can't read without them:eek::

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Thanks for sharing, Ken,,,

How do you like your V? I wish I could take home a V tomorrow. Gotta wait a few,,,,uh,,she says ;) .

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Did all of Newfoundland and the paved part of southern Lab a few years ago with a buddy. Want to take the new bride up to NF as the people are just wonderful and the sights are really breathtaking. Maybe next year or the year after, I hope. I'd encouarge everyone to go at least to NS and the Cabot trail. I'd also agree about the Trans Lab not being for us ST folks. Thanks for stiring up memories.

Bike
ST
STOC #
Low Flyer said:
Did all of Newfoundland and the paved part of southern Lab a few years ago with a buddy. Want to take the new bride up to NF as the people are just wonderful and the sights are really breathtaking. Maybe next year or the year after, I hope. I'd encouarge everyone to go at least to NS and the Cabot trail. I'd also agree about the Trans Lab not being for us ST folks. Thanks for stiring up memories.
You are right about the people up there. They are the greatest and will invite you to their house after knowing you just a small amount of time. I was invited to the house of a guy I met on the Goose Bay ferry when I discovered my rear tire was flat. His wife made us coffee while HE plugged my tire. The plug lasted the entire trip back home. A friend of mine was up a few years ago and after camping next to a couple at Gros Morne one night was invited to their house for supper the next night
I did the TransLab on my 1300 in '04. No problems. At times cruised along at 80+ (mph not kph.) I caught it on a Sunday before they did any grading and the gravel/dirt was packed in places and you could see the "good" part well ahead. My pictures are at http://www.teamslow.net/.
I'm amazed that there are no black specks in any of maxified's pictures (black flies.)
Anyone who has a chance to tour Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador should do it.

Re: Some Northern Pics

maxified said:
OK, Sorry, here are a few pics.
Are the bikes tied down on the side stand side as well? If so doesn't it put a lot of stress on the side stand?

OP
OP
maxified
Bike
Yamaha XT1200Z
STOC #
The suspension is compressed a bit as the tie down straps are snugged up, no undo stress. All but one of the ferry rides were so smooth we barely noticed we were afloat.

I am sure that the Trans-Lab Highway may be passable with non-dual sport bikes at certain times of year, but when we went in early June mud holes and silt-like sand made for a slippery transit even on a DL-1000, not to mention the sections of deep gravel. Guess that's what helped to make it a bit of an adventure. I'd go back anytime...

Top Bottom