Uncle Phil's 2012 Alaska Adventure

Bike
ST1100
Well, July 5th I'm headed for Alaska once again. SweetTreat is the ride of choice as she has never been there (RedBird got to make the trip in 2004 - http://www.unclephil.us/Alaska2004Home.htm). I'll be covering around 9,000 miles in 19 days and get to do several personal 'firsts'. Using a BT020 Bias BMW rear tire to see how it does on a long road trip and what mileage I will get (been testing one on Redbird and it still looks good after 6,000+ miles). First long trip with the new PeakLife GPS to see if it can hold up to life on the road and just how useful and accurate it proves to be. First long trip since I've had both knees replaced so I'll see how they react. No Artic Circle on this run, just all the way to Denali and back. I'm really looking forward to the road between Haines Junction and Haines and the ferry across to Skagway. I'll be in Banff for a couple of days and Hyder for a couple of days. So this should be a little more 'leisurely' pace once I get into Canada (first trip to Hyder I averaged 780 miles a day for 5 days). Hope to see some of you on the road, if not on this trip, maybe the next one!
Wow Phil! Enjoy the Alaska ride! Me and some buddies have contemplated taking the ferry from BC to Skagway then riding down through the Yukon into BC and back to Seattle. Just haven't made it happen yet.

LarryC

SToog2
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Great lQQking trip so far Uncle Phil, where to from here?
I didn't find Grande Prairie anywhere near Dawson Creek. Only one I found was in Alberta, CA...

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Uncle Phil and Alain stopped by the office today for a quick Hello.

Almost halfway through their ~1000 KM day going from Grande Prairie to Saskatoon. If I knew they had been there before I'd reference that old Guess Who song (Runnin back to Saskatoon).

Was good to finally meet in person and get a face and voice and big hug to go with UP's online persona.

Just realized as they started to ride away - Hey! I have a camera on my phone.

Bruce

Attachments

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Landed in Jamestown, ND for the night. When I left Bruce, my camera was on the back of my bike instead of around my neck where I usually keep it. It fell off and a car ran over it. Alain rescued it from the middle of the street but I cannot get the XD (Olympus) card to read in a reader (it was in the camera at the time). If it will not read or recover, I have lost most of my trip pictures. If anybody knows of a recovery service or has ideas, please let me know.

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Is the card physically damaged? If not data can be recovered most likely. There are a lot of free recovery programs out there. I would just keep the disk in a safe and cool place till you get back and then deal with it. I bet it's ok. More than likely it's tumble just corrupted a file,either in the partition or incomplete write.

Been there done that with my camera!

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Dang, Phil, that makes having my sun glasses run over seem trivial... (BTW, I've done exactly the same with a camera. :()

Glad youse guys are having a good ride... It's the memories that count, not the pictures.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Landed in Jamestown, ND for the night. When I left Bruce, my camera was on the back of my bike instead of around my neck where I usually keep it. It fell off and a car ran over it. Alain rescued it from the middle of the street but I cannot get the XD (Olympus) card to read in a reader (it was in the camera at the time). If it will not read or recover, I have lost most of my trip pictures. If anybody knows of a recovery service or has ideas, please let me know.
Dangit Phil, that means you'll have to do it all again.:)

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Crap! Your write up will have to be more descriptive now. Sorry.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
As long as the memory card is not physically damaged you should be able to recover the contents. There are various free recovery applications available for download.

Try this: http://www.cardrecovery.com/

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
without pictures, it's just another story. Good luck on the picture recovery
I think you need to read some of Phil's ride reports. He does a great job. Yes the pics add a lot, but I can't agree that his write ups are just another story.

Top Bottom