George's summer trip 2012

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Time to start this report, tho I'm not home yet,,, two hi-lites for now:
Left home on June 18;
Currently at Foster's Market near Escalante, UT on the way back home.

With BT for the past three days, great trip with a good friend and wonderful roads in the N.W.

TOO many pictures, it's gonna take a while to get this sorted.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
It was good to see you in Spearfish! Hope you have a safe trip the rest of the way home. And look forward to the next time I see you!

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Home at 4PM Pacific (local) time... Big Tom and Bob Donaldson are also in residence... Early to bed for all of us... More tomorrow.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Quick count from your spot looks like 23 States and one Province. Not a bad ride at all.
Here's my SpotWalla route for the entire trip, 6-18 to 7-22.

Still working on pictures, but here's one for Ash...
IMG_7178 (1600x1200).jpg

Not exactly stealth as it's a state park, but I was pretty much alone... a Wing and an ST13 were about a 1/2 mile away... Great spot but the flies 'n skeeters were hard at it... The tarp was in anticipation of a thunderstorm which never happened,,, would have pulled it over the top of everything and staked it on the east side if needed... As it was, just left the fly off and slept well as the temps. FINALLY cooled down to sleeping levels.

This was in N.W. Illinois, on the way to LaCrosse late last month.
IMG_7179 (1200x1600).jpg

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm carrying "Skin So Soft" from Avon which does great for the flies, not so much for the mosquitoes... my BIL swears by the pocket thingy from Coleman.

I have only 2200 pictures to peruse,,, but first: I'm taking Deba to the airport today so it probably won't happen 'til later. :D

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I can comment a little on the last 4 days of George's trip.

Wow. Did we ever ride some great roads. Friday we rode about 14 hours to cover 550 miles. No construction delays, no city riding, just a bazillion corners. Does include 200 miles on the slab, mostly after dark..Lewiston Hill, Rattlesnake Grade, Hell's Canyon, Idaho 71. 300 miles of grins.

Saturday we bombed through N. Utah until we hit highway 24. Then the 12 to Bryce when an impending thunderstorm sent us indoors. Stayed at a place that had everything but one...no hot water. And the wi-fi was near unusable. But a great location...We were in a hard thunderstorm when we took the 'ridge section' of highway 12. A good thing, we got passed by a LEO and would have been ticket bait if it weren't raining hard...

Sunday we finished the 12 to highway 89. On to Cedar City and the slab where we got to run 20 miles of legal 80mph (test section). Off at ST George and the back way into Mesquite, NV. After a few good corners on a traffic circle...On across the North Shore of Lake Mead and into Kingman...

OH. Debby had a terrific roast pork dinner for us when we got there...

Dang. That is living!

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Those are great pix, George. You picked some fine riding areas. I've hit several of them & looking to hit the rest....

Good that you were able to meet up with Big Tom. Makes the ride back a lot more fun. I would have loved to have been along on that one.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Would have loved to have ya with on any part of it, Larry. Still wanna take a run up to Moki if you can get away in the next couple weeks.

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
That sound like a wonderful trip. Glad your home safe. I can't believe B Donald is all the way out there, he'll turn up anywhere on any day. I believe he is permanently mounted to Big Butt (his bike)

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I would have loved to have been along on that one.
I can just about guarantee you'd have liked that ride. Wish you were there, too. Someplace on Friday we wondered whether you and Mike had made "this road":)

Edit: I just looked at your pictures....Wow!

Last edited:
Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
George, Thanks for your trips pictures it looks great fun rides. I wish can do more trips like you once of these days...Nice rides George!:bow1:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
George, another great ride my friend! Looks like you hit some great roads and places. I hope to see you out there soon! I might have to drag the "great raccoon hunter" along also!! :D

:usflag1:

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I can just about guarantee you'd have liked that ride. Wish you were there, too. Someplace on Friday we wondered whether you and Mike had made "this road":)

Edit: I just looked at your pictures....Wow!

Tom, we did do the Spiral Hwy out of Lewiston & Hell's Canyon. That was a brutal ride. The road had potholes that would toss you over the side if you hit one the wrong way & you would end up on the same road farther down the hill when you fell. The scenery was beautiful but you didn't dare look around--pictures were really not an option there. Not only that, but it was hotter than ----; I recall seeing a sign & noting that we were halfway to Halfway--I was beat.

You guys did some rides around St. George UT that I really want to ride. Not the usual ones through there. I stayed at a campground just below your motel stop at Bryce. I thought sure I was near Escalante until I passed Bryce the next morning.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
What an epic ride. Looks like you had a great time on some great roads.

Thanks for sharing the pics and the route. :yes: It will make for good reference material for us West Coast riders.

Top Bottom