Ride For Cambodia?

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
The Boyz are in residence at The CattHouse and will accompany me to Bangkok. We can trade off while there, maybe send them to some other exotic locales before they return to Moonshine in April

Here they are with next-door-neighbor John and his SIL Alan.
IMG_8462 (800x571).jpg

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
It'll be great to bring the memory of loved ones passed. Thanks for posting the pic and carrying the tag, George.

Just a note about the Google translator...it needs a data connection to the web to work. :(

I am now thinking of getting a local data service while in Bangkok but I don't hold out any hope this will be one stop shopping for all of SEA. :(

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm thinking our best bet is gonna be to find English speakers, Danny. Unlike the Romance languages, we have nothing to hang the SEA languages on. The Khmer translator I found shows the Cam words in their alphabet... :22yikes: I'm lost.

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Well, for what it's worth, we'll have the translator free at WiFi hotspots, but chances of needing in those locations is much less than in the outback trails we'll be on.

Wonder if, like the OSM maps, we can download the whole language? At least Thai...that'll include Laos.
We can also Text Tip to translate for us ;) I know, I know...texting needs WiFi :( :)

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Send us these, Tip:

Hello
Goodbye
Thank you

Where is-
Gasoline?
Water?
Beer?
Restaurant?
Hotel?
Bathroom?

Thanks for your help, wish you were going with for reasons beyond language. :D

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
I picked up a pocket phrase book for SEA. Figured, worse case, I can point.....

:)

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
There is always mime...it got us a good story when we tried to cross from Guatemala into Mexico at a non vehicular border on the same river as on my avatar, rio Usumacinta.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I trust you all had a great Christmas. I did except for a deep cut to my left middle finger that I managed while slicing taters with my daughters' "veg-a-matic" style slicer. The V-a-M (with my help) took a chunk of meat and skin from the lower knuckle area that I didn't bother to recover. It may have ended up in the rosemary potatoes?? After the bleeding stopped there was no pain except when I look at it. I have a concern that it might not be healed sufficiently in time for the Ride for Cambodia. If not I may have to make changes to my plan. I have a metal splint I can put on it and cut the middle finger out of a glove. This could make for some goods waves with the clutch hand, eh? I think the worst case scenario would be sticking to only the best of the roads in Cambodia, avoiding as much mud and river crossing as possible. I've attached a pic which looks much better than the plan view in my opinion...

Attachments

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Three weeks plus a couple days, hope it heals sufficiently. Rubber gloves under the riding gloves to help keep it clean?

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
I can't say "I feel your pain" but I sure can empathize with you, buddy. If you got the missing piece out of the mashed potatoes, I would say just crazy glue it back on or something. :(
From this pick, I see you still on the RFC but we'll continue to hope for the best anyway.
Keep it clean and maybe slightly bent to split the difference in the range of motion.

Boy, you really know how to get an adventure off to an unpredictable start. :confused::D

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Send us these, Tip:

Hello= Lao. Sa-Bai-Dee, Thai. Sa-Vund-Dee
Goodbye= Lao. Sok-Dee, Thai. Durh-Dee
Thank you= Korb-Jai, Thai. Korb-Goon

Where is-
Gasoline? Lao. Pump-Narm-Mun-U-Sais? Thai. Pump-Narm-Mun-Ben-siin?
Water? Lao. Narm-Kiin or Narm-Duerm? Thai. Narm-Dierm?
Beer? :D
Restaurant? Lao, Harh-r-harn-u-say? Thai. Harh-r-harn-u-nay?
Hotel? Lao. Hor-puck? Thai. Hoonh-hame?
Bathroom? Lao. Hork-narm-u-say? Thai. Hork-ghark-narm-u-nay?

Ok, give these a try, see if you could read/say these phrases? :D

Thanks for your help, wish you were going with for reasons beyond language. :D

Goodbye= Lao. Sok-Dee, Thai. Durh-Dee

Where is-

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Goodbye= Lao. Sok-Dee, Thai. Durh-Dee Or, Both in Lao/Thai. lar-gorne

Where is-

Goodbye= Lao. Sok-Dee, Thai. Durh-Dee Or, Both in Lao/Thai. lar-gorne And every once in the world knew what's goodbye meaning...:D

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Ouch! How was that finger skin tasted :D great X-mas dinner...:D

I trust you all had a great Christmas. I did except for a deep cut to my left middle finger that I managed while slicing taters with my daughters' "veg-a-matic" style slicer. The V-a-M (with my help) took a chunk of meat and skin from the lower knuckle area that I didn't bother to recover. It may have ended up in the rosemary potatoes?? After the bleeding stopped there was no pain except when I look at it. I have a concern that it might not be healed sufficiently in time for the Ride for Cambodia. If not I may have to make changes to my plan. I have a metal splint I can put on it and cut the middle finger out of a glove. This could make for some goods waves with the clutch hand, eh? I think the worst case scenario would be sticking to only the best of the roads in Cambodia, avoiding as much mud and river crossing as possible. I've attached a pic which looks much better than the plan view in my opinion...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.. perhaps a cheatsheet of common objects like gas can, bathroom w/both lao/thai words under them would help too.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Good idea, Joe. Thanks.

thai-beer.jpg

According to Tipster, this one needs no translation. :D
Per Wiki, Singha is prounounced ,sing, and should be easy to order. They only have production capacity for a billion liters so it may be hard to get :D:D
It's 26F here in the Wild and Wonderful, forecast for Bangkok is 86F, maybe we should wear shorts on the plane?

Top Bottom