Post RideForCambodia...SEA ride continues

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Waiting for the others to finish packing for our flight to Thailand.

I sure had a blast during the RFC and learned something about where donation money goes when contributed to legitimate NGO's. It is definately a good cause.

We'll continue to keep you posted on our progress for the next two months.
Joe and I fly home April 9th and George March 15th.

We look forward to more adventures and as always, appreciate the feedback and support.

Droid S 3 & TT2

Last edited:

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Love it all. Continue to enjoy yourselves over there and when you do decide to head "Home", have a safe and enjoyable flight back. Until then-keep those pics comin!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Well, we had a mostly enjoyable night train ride up to Chang Mai, Thailand
uploadfromtaptalk1359953281658.jpg
...after a perfect flight to Bangkok from Phenom Penh.
Here is the train:
uploadfromtaptalk1359953088766.jpg
We are with Vermont Dan now at Riders Corner in Chaing Mai.uploadfromtaptalk1359953438164.jpg
Plan is to rent bikes and ride roads in the back country as we did in Cambodia.
More pictures will be posted to the Ride for Cambodia /SEA thread.

Droid S 3 & TT2

OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Fantastic. Will you guys be posting your pics and videos here or in the Cambodia thread?
Both threads may remain active with regard to this tour but I will be posting pics and updates here if they happened after yesterdays official end of RideForCambodia.
Raven will be leaving us as planned on Saturday. George, March 15th.

Don't wanna think about how sad it will be to lose their contributions to this epic ride. Don't wanna think about going back just yet.

Riders Corner bathroom.
uploadfromtaptalk1359970537016.jpg

Droid S 3 & TT2

Last edited:

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Good thing I found this new thread. I opened George's SPOT page the other day and saw that you guys were on the move but then I calculated that it was past midnight where you were?!? I didn't realize that you guys were on a train instead of the bikes. :eek:: Makes sense now.

To bad George didn't have a Moonshine sticker to put next to those others... ;)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Funny one, Scooter. I hadn't thought about the time aspect on the SPOT. We thought I had lost the SPOT as the train rolled out'a the station in Bangkok. I usually keep it on my belt when not on the bike,,, just setting quietly in our seats when I realized it was missing!!!! Ah, well, such is life. Figured it was laying in the street somewhere 'round the station as I had wondered about a bit. Anyway, maybe 10 minutes later, I stood up to do something and it fell <clunk!> on the floor. Still can't figure how it came loose but there ya are. Happy days again. :D

The train ride was uneventful 'cept for conversations with some good folks. Pics to be poSTed at the STOC Tag thread.

I'm still adding Cambodia pics to my Picasa albums and will post links to the Cambodia thread; links to Thailand pics will be here. In the meantime here's a hot link to all my albums. If ya get bored, you can always click back to my Moonshine 'Burger albums. :D

OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
At POP's cycle rental, a fellow comes up to me and said with a look as if he knew me " I think I might know you. Where are you from"? I told him NYC and he declared he knew me from my trip to Panama and met me in Guatemala. I looked again and exclaimed "I met you at the border with Mexico.
uploadfromtaptalk1360059777956.jpg

We had a great reunion and wondered what the chances are that we'd ever run into eachother again, let alone in Thailand.
He will try to catch up with our group and I hope he does.

With our CRF 250's under us, we managed a great ride out of Chiang Mai to Mae Saraing where the author thumbs this out under a Professional Massage Therapist.
uploadfromtaptalk1360059271311.jpg
We picked up a new friend, DC from Homer, Alaska,
along to way on the black CBR 250 who we would not have met if not for Joe losing his way after missing a turn. Almost without exception, some good comes out of events that initially appear as only bad. DC led us to the hotel we are at as he has been here before. He seems like a great fellow.

AC, TV, Good WiFi in the room and two beds $13 for two persons.
After the massage we good eat and get more of DC' s story.
uploadfromtaptalk1360059310262.jpg

Droid S 3 & TT2

OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
George releases his feminine side, a sure sign of a man secure in his masculinity
uploadfromtaptalk1360100738348.jpg

We toured Mae Saraing after dinner mostly in search of ice cream.
JACKPOT!
We thought she was saying only one waffle left but by the looks of this dessert she probably said " Only one waffle needed". She brought five spoons without prompting. It was awesome!

uploadfromtaptalk1360101388226.jpg

We are picking up riders as we go along and we are loving it. Here is VT Dan in blue and DC from Homer, AK toasting with George. DC has been riding Thailand on and off for years and apparently is in love with this country. He is offering many great suggestions and by all the evidence, looks like he wants to hang with us for a while. Having a crew member with a bit of the local language and a harmonic personality is always a plus.
We move north today toward Myanmar on route 108 as six. DC said it's a must. From the look of it, we are in for a treat.
uploadfromtaptalk1360101421699.jpg

Droid S 3 & TT2

Last edited by a moderator:

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Here are a few road photos.

uploadfromtaptalk1360111413544.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1360111437742.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1360111472092.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1360111488174.jpg

To quote George, "Well dang, we coulda rode that in North Georgia!"

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Looks like you are having the times of your life and meeting new friends along the way! Danny what are the chances you would meet someone you met in Mexico in Thailand! That is an awesome story in itself! You guys are giving me all kinds of ideas of doing something in India but don't know if it would come close to this; the gears are certainly turning! Keep sharing the pics and videos it has been a real pleasure and priviledge to follow along with you all!

OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
WE HAD A BALL with the CRF 250's kickin' up some dust all the way to the Myanmar border and back out the same way. Then rt. 208 northbound until dusk as was suggested by DC (Doug) and turned out to be a great opportunity to put the bikes through some paces on high speed twists and turns. I like this bike. Its very versital and light.
Here we are in Mae Hong Son for an meal and an overnight. George posts a chalk announcement for RideForCambodia.com on the ceiling of the bar/restaurant

Then we notice an TV interview taking place with the owner which sparked my curiosity. I asked the interviewer who called herself "Cake" and she explained that she is doing a TV story about the town and this establishment is an important piece of the vitality of the community.
We got her to sign the STOC Tag book.

Droid S 3 & TT2

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Nice pictures. Could you guys take these bike across border? Be sure to ride on the left lane! :D

OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Thanks for the advice, Tip but we get reminders on a regular basis here ;)

We just had breakfast at a place that loaned books. I didn't know Mac was famous for writing spirtual books in the Far East.

Droid S 3 & TT2

OP
OP
Digiamo

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Want adventure? Just follow VT. Dan. Three hours on a two/ one track trail with about two dozen river or creek cossings brings us to all that was talked about and all that enticed us to come to Thailand.
uploadfromtaptalk1360224937905.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1360224980821.jpg

Droid S 3 & TT2

Bike
2006 ST1300
Dang, the Boyz sure do attract the ladies!!
:plus1: What he said!

Beautiful country there. It must be a blast to be on bikes that handle those back roads better. That guy VT Dan...he looks somewhat familiar, and he only lives the next state over...I'm wondering if I've ever run across him somewhere. What part of the state is he from?

Amazing coincidence with the guy from your other trip.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
On another note, George and I scouted out an overland route from Mae Hong Son to Pai. We'd planned to meet up with Danny, Joe, and Dan this evening in Pai and figured they'd beat us by hours! Little did we know our off-road adventure would end up being the tame ride!

Anyway, here's a few snaps.
In the beginning the road is nice!
uploadfromtaptalk1360242617890.jpg
George swears there's a road from where he's pointing with his left hand and where he's pointing with his right....
uploadfromtaptalk1360242649434.jpg
Hmmm, the road is now a sidewalk - seriously, it's concrete and about a lane wide.
uploadfromtaptalk1360242783353.jpg
Now it's dirt.
uploadfromtaptalk1360242882302.jpg
Yield to cows.
uploadfromtaptalk1360242944612.jpg
Terraced fields.
uploadfromtaptalk1360243067443.jpg

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
So, tonight we splurged on a $60 room instead of the usual $10 to $15.
Interior
uploadfromtaptalk1360243238559.jpg
Exterior
uploadfromtaptalk1360243273714.jpg
George on the bridge over the river Pai :D
uploadfromtaptalk1360243330881.jpg

Top Bottom