Top of New England

STOC #
Today I rode the New Hampshire "notches", Crawford, Franconia, and Pinkham, as well as the Mt. Washington Auto road for the first time on a bike. The trip up was a little hairy only because the cages were going so damn slow that I had to stop a few times on a moderate uphill pitch on the dirt. The way down was more of the same as I had to use the brakes as engine braking in first gear is good for the 10-15 mph range and not below that. All in all, easier than I expected, but I was still too chicken to stop and take some pics of the road on the way up. Please enjoy the pics I did manage to take.

Attachments

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Great shots, oh carpenter of the body. Wish I was riding with you instead of earning a living!

OP
OP
blueSTormer
STOC #
Bones said:
Great shots, oh carpenter of the body. Wish I was riding with you instead of earning a living!
I'll see you on Sunday and bring a disc with the Bonestoc pics because I just couldn't send them online from here. Oh well.:eek::
And thanks for the compliment on the pics.

blueStormer,

As many times as I've toured the notches and travelled up the Mt. Washington Auto Road (in a cage) I've never had the courage to do it on the bike. The dirt at the top scares the crap out of me. So, congrats on that sticker, you earned it.

MeiSTer

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
Meister...

It's not bad. I did it twice last year...
Once during Laconia bike week in fog/drizzle and one on a perfect day with my wife and my new found buddy Greg..

I probably fried my brake fluid though..I had to have it changed at 12K..they said it was black...First gear all the way down the 'hill' ands till used quite a bit of brake.

Kempo-STer said:
Meister...

It's not bad. I did it twice last year...
Once during Laconia bike week in fog/drizzle and one on a perfect day with my wife and my new found buddy Greg..

I probably fried my brake fluid though..I had to have it changed at 12K..they said it was black...First gear all the way down the 'hill' ands till used quite a bit of brake.
Well, maybe I'll give it a try next time I'm up that way. I would like to earn one of those stickers with the ST.

OP
OP
blueSTormer
STOC #
MeiSTer said:
blueStormer,

As many times as I've toured the notches and travelled up the Mt. Washington Auto Road (in a cage) I've never had the courage to do it on the bike. The dirt at the top scares the crap out of me. So, congrats on that sticker, you earned it.

MeiSTer
Hey, thanks for the compliment MeiSTer. It WAS a little hairy, BUT not as much as trying to get to Kempo-San's camp site at 4AM, in the dirt, in the rain, in the dark, lost, AND having to make a U-turn and being sure that the bike was going to take it's first dirt nap!:eek: Fun though:D

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
I grew up just north of Boston. Franconia Notch is one of my favorite places on this earth.

Top Bottom