Florida Keys (pic heavy)

Bike
03 1300
First off Happy New Year!

I'll start by saying that I didn't get my ST until November 4th and only got around 300 miles on it before the deep freeze set in. Seemed somewhat early even by Michigan standards. We had booked a villa in Islamorada last December for this year and what's a guy to do? Buy a trailer!! :D

We arrived on Sunday afternoon (22nd), unpacked, ate dinner and crashed after the 23 hour drive.

Monday morning I found a great excuse to ride. Some year-end banking required a trip to the Mainland in Florida City some 40 miles north. Beeing an early bird, I hit the road before sunrise. Glad I did, because I captured my kind of Xmas decoration.

With time to kill I took the 997 north to the Tamiami trail and ended up heading toward Naples. It's been over 20 years since driving Alligator Alley. Not much had changed. Mostly irrigation ditches on one side and the National Park on the other.
Here's a sign you don't see every day!

Traffic was light and the cagers lead-footed. I was passed like standing still. Might as well join them! The average speed was 80 and some even passed me doing that. I sure loved the way the ST hugged the road at speeds close to 100.

60 miles into Indian Land, left turn toward Everglades Isle. Scenic little town!

A few miles South, Chokoloskee

The end of the road...

Oh, let me sneak this one in! The world's smallest Post Office... LOL

More to come.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
03 1300
Something happened to the Post Office

Let's try it again

Total tally for the Ally 285 miles

OP
OP
Bike
03 1300
Next opportunity, Key West

Been posted a thousand times, but yet a milestone in everyone's portfolio

Key West is done best on a 2 wheeler, especially for parking. Got a "free front row spot" in Old Town

I just loved the colors!

Florida's oldest tavern

And a little history for Pie Lovers. The birthplace of the Key Lime Pie

Didn't quite catch the history of this thing, but thought it was pretty cool.

The tallest thing south of Miami and quite the influx of cash when they arrive.

OP
OP
Bike
03 1300
Another attraction. Hog's Breath

The ride back was uneventful, although traffic quite a bit heavier.

The foot of Seven Mile Bridge (on the north side). I think there's a song about the place

Must have seen this marker dozens of times. Still think it's pretty cool

Got back around 1pm only to find the crew eeling in the sun

Plenty of these tormenting my dog....lol

Well 3 more days in the Keys and then it's off to Crystal River for 4. Hope the weather holds. Wouldn't mind riding the Big Bend, Zephyr Hills and Mt. Dora

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Love the pics. Been across Aligator Alley quite a few times and always commented on the smallest PO.

Chicago, Rochester NY now retired Lake Hartwell SC
Bike
GL1100, ST1300A
Great post GP!

We're towing two bikes to the Keys...one is my black ST1300XX. We'll be on Big Pine Key for two months leaving tomorrow morning.

This is first time with an RV, fourth time overall for a winter stay.

Any trip that has you riding in Jan-Feb is a GOOD trip!

Yeah, I know...I need a bigger trailer.

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
03 1300
Great post GP!

We're towing two bikes to the Keys...one is my black ST1300XX. We'll be on Big Pine Key for two months leaving tomorrow morning.

This is first time with an RV, fourth time overall for a winter stay.

Any trip that has you riding in Jan-Feb is a GOOD trip!

Yeah, I know...I need a bigger trailer.
Done plenty of that! Usually with a 5er and a boat behind it. All 70 some feet of it.

Lucky dog! 2 months? I'm already planning my March trip. 2 weeks somewhere down this way. (from Ft. Myers South)

OP
OP
Bike
03 1300
Lucky You!

We left Tuesday for Crystal River and it's been raining ever since. Going Inland today (The Villages) and hope to ride to Daytona tomorrow. Low of 41*... Oh well, better than 10 back home!!! Might have to raise the windshield again.

OP
OP
Bike
03 1300
That bike is too cool. Where did you find that in KW?

Left the Keys on Tuesday for Crystal River. 2 days of rain kept the ST on the trailer. Here's 2 more noteworthy pics on the way out.

Anyone remember this guy?

Ended up heading East to my folk's place in the Villages for some home cooking, laundry and preparing for the ride home on Saturday. One more riding window, although a cold one. (37* at 9am).

Daytona bound on SR 42

The first stretch takes you through the Ocala NF.

The sunlight on the moss was pretty cool.

Cont....

OP
OP
Bike
03 1300
One wrong turn in Deland and I ended up in Daytona traffic. 6 miles to the beaches and a light every other block. Oh well, right by the Speedway

Finally... As you can see, the sea was angry and the beach closed to motorized vehicles.

The ride back on 44 took me over the fabled St John's River.

And anything to make a buck.....lol

Packed up and headed North on the Super Slab Saturday morning. We had a small weather window before it all turned to crap. Made it back to Michigan at 1am Sunday morning. 12" of snow into Monday and a record -15 this morning.

Already set the dates for the first 2 weeks in March! Something about that proverbial carrot on a stick!

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
That bike is too cool. Where did you find that in KW..
We had a day to tour KW. Found the bone bike in one of the trendy shops in the busy north side of town.

Thanks for the pics. Good job. Sorry we didn't get together. Maybe next year.
Enjoy the snow.

GS3&TT2

Top Bottom