Just GO RIDE

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Tuesday I spent the day detailing the ST700 and the Wee as both were filthy from my previous rides. Took me nearly 6 hours to do both bikes. I had planned on doing some riding today but really did not have a definitive plan in my head as to where, how far, and what I wanted to accomplish on today?s ride.

I had thought about taking the DR650 out and riding some of the dirt roads down near Deckers, but the wind was blowing fairly strong and the DR just does not have the weight or wind protection to deal with the cold and wind. So I thought about the Wee as I have not ridden it this month at all. And it is my go exploring bike for my day rides. I can run the HI Way pavement at a good clip and when the road turns to dirt, I don?t even slow down. Just keep on going. So out to the garage to do a pre check on the Wee, Tire Pressure?Check, Oil?Check. Walk around bike looking for loose what-evers.?All OK. Time to move GPS?s and Spot from the NT(ST)700 over to the Wee. I had been out riding on Sunday with a neighbor buddy of mine, Gold Wing Gary, and had taken the ST700 for that ride.
I have been trying to wear out the PR3 that is on the rear of the NT so it has been the only bike I have ridden this month. I have close to 9000 miles on the tire and I am wanting to try a PR4 for the trip in May to the TNT event. Any way the Wee has been neglected this month and my poor ST1300 is basically in hibernation waiting for the ride to Roy?s BBQ at Hutchinson, KS, in the month of April. So the NT(ST)700 has been getting the call lately. So as I am switching out the GPSs, the NT softly whispers to me ?take me, take me? Who can reset that? So I replace the GPS and the Spot back on the NT and do another pre-ride check, Oil? Check, Tire pressure?Check, Gas?.Check All is good to GO RIDE, and decide that I will not do any dirt roads today but will stay on the pavement. Geared up and headed out. My Garmin 550 GPS has paired with my Sena and my 40 year old music is flowing into my ears via the Sena headset. My cell phone has paired with the Sena and we are ready to GO RIDE????.But where?
So I just point the front wheel and off we go.
So the front wheel directs me west to I-225, SW to I-25 South to C-470, and then deposits me on Deer Creek Canyon. Haven?t been up here in months and am wondering what the condition of the roads will be. Snow , Ice, Gravel? Who knows? Fortunately it was cold enough that the bicycle folks weren?t out. Rode the canyon at a spirited pace, as the road conditions were just great. No traffic and clean dry road. Followed the canyon up to North Turkey Creek Canon and the headed up to Evergreen via High Drive Rd.
Beautiful residential byway that routes over top of the hill and dropped down into the old part of the Town of Evergreen. From there I make my way through the old part of town down the hill a ways to Kittredge and pick Kerr?s Gulch road. This is one of my favorite narrow roads as it again winds its way over top of another hill and drops down into the new part of Evergreen and puts me at my first stop of the day. 55 miles for a cup of senior?s coffee at McDonalds.
I finish my coffee, make my pit stop and decide I am going to explore the route up to Echo Lake which lies at almost 10600 ft. As I am riding up RT 103 ?Squaw Pass Rd?, it starts to climb and traverse through the shadows. I start having to dodge ice spots in the road and the gravel on the road is causing me some apprehension. Soon at about the 8000ft level the road becomes nasty wet with lots of snow melt. Also lots of fine sand gravel and more ice spots then I am comfortable with. So I turn around and head down the mountain. No need to try to get to Echo Lake today. Live to ride it another day
. Mt Evans @ 14264ft. This route is the highest paved road in the US. It really is a great motorcycle ride in the Summer. The climb has some breath taking views, no guard rails and a bunch of tight switch backs above the tree line. I love this ride. July / Aug is the best time to make the accent to the top. Get an early start in the morning and miss all the tourist traffic, before 9 am. If you are out here let me know and I will lead you up. Bring your Federal Parks Pass. Here is another MT Evans Video, but on a bike. Video

As a side note, Echo Lake is the jumping off point to drive to the top of Mt Evans @ 14264ft. This route is the highest paved road in the US. It really is a great motorcycle ride in the Summer. The climb has some breath taking views, no guard rails and a bunch of tight switch backs above the tree line. I love this ride. July / Aug is the best time to make the accent to the top. Get an early start in the morning and miss all the tourist traffic, before 9 am. If you are out here let me know and I will lead you up. Bring your Federal Parks Pass.

So I get back down into Evergreen again and head off to Highway 285 south west. This is a main route from Denver south over South Park to the interior of the Rockies, but today we are going to stay in what we call the Foot Hills. Too much snow in the High Country. I turn off 285 at Pine Junction and navigate down the hill toward the little town of Pine. This road 126 is a great favorite of the motorcycle folks here in the Denver area, It will lead me from Pine to[URL="https://www.google.com/search?q=buffalo+creek+colorado&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=L6gGU8SwFsvqoATE54LgAQ&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1900&bih=931"] Buffalo Creek[/URL] and on to Deckers Corner Caf? and Country Store at Deckers. It is full of nice twisties, and beautiful vistas both coming and going. One has to ride it in both directions to thoroughly enjoy it?s curvy pleasures. I made my obligatory stop at the Deckers store. Nobody out riding in Feb on a Wednesday. Just the way I like it. Normally in the prime of the riding season the parking lot has a good dozen or more bikes at any given time. Today? Not so much. Continuing south on Highway 67, it runs towards Woodland Park, the road parallels Rampart Range, and Rampart Range road which is dirt. Rampart has great public dirt riding with miles and miles of trails. It runs through the Pike-San Isabel National Forest. I have ridden my Wee , my old KLR and now my DR650 on those trails. Some are for jeeps others for ATVs and others for dirt bikes. Also there are trails that are for all of them. All the trails drop off Rampart Range Road, which runs the crest of the range, either to the east side or off to the west side of the Range. Not too good to ride the NT700 on though, So I stay on the pavement and run the wonderful twisties on into Woodland Park. As one approaches Woodland Park and US 24 there is a great view of Pikes Peak in the near distance. Woodland Park is a great little touristy town but has not gone to the extreme in that regard.
Made a left at the intersection of 24 and 67 and headed down the mountain to Manitou Springs. Manitou Springs was hit pretty heard from last year?s flooding rains and US24 was down to one lane east bound for debris removal. Still lots of repairs and final clean up going on. Manitou Springs is nestled at the base of Pikes Peak (14110 ft.). and is the starting point for the Cog Rail Road to the top of Pikes Peak. Highest point on a North American Railroad. Or you can ride up the mountain on your bike via a Paved Road, for about 12 to 15 bucks. City of Colorado Springs owns the road. I remember when the road was all dirt and it did not cost anything to ride up to the top. Pikes Peak is 14110 ft. This is also the road used for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. Now that it is paved the times are a bit faster. From here I decide to ride through the Garden of the Gods. Beautiful Red Rock formations that were created during a geological upheaval along a natural fault line millions of years ago. Again a must see if you are out this way. I like to go there and also Red Rocks outside of Golden, Colorado and do some walking. Lots of walking trails. This reminds me, when the weather gets better I need to do some more Ride and Hikes. The garden was a bit crowded today, as the weather was in the low 60?s today. We have a storm coming tomorrow and the Hi Temps are going to be in the mid-40s for the rest of the month. This is probably the last ride I will get in for the month of February.
So I head out of the Garden and pick up I-25 north and get off at the south exit of the Air force Academy. Another great place to visit when you come out here. I stayed on the east side of the freeway and turned on to Highway 83 which runs on into Parker and home. But today I am only going as far as Monument on 83, cross over the Freeway again and pickup 105 which will take me north parallel on the east side of Rampart Range. This route is about 25 miles of horse ranch property. With gentle high speed sweepers and an occasional tight turn just over the crest of a hill. Speed limit is 50 to 55 but the NT likes to go faster along this route. Don?t know why. 105 is also a favorite of the weekend motorcycle cruiser clubs. I try not to ride it on the weekend as there many, many bikes on the road then. Very unsettling to have the cruiser crowd riding two abreast 30 deep as I crest one of those hills with the blind turn. Fortunately I have ridden this road enough I know which way the turn breaks. I hope the oncoming guy does also.
So after about 22 miles I get to Wolfensberger Rd which brings me into Castle Rock. I am now about 40 miles from home and my ride is coming to an end. One more good twisty road, Lake Gulch rd. County 11. Then I will take some non-nondescript roads that skirt the town of Parker and puts me into the south east side of Aurora and home. Great ride of 264 miles. This should last me about two weeks before I start to get the urge to ride the mountains again.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E+Iliff+Ave&daddr=Deer+Creek+Canyon+Park,+Littleton,+CO+to:High+Dr+to:Evergreen,+CO+to:Co+Rd+23/Kerr+Gulch+Rd+to:902+Swede+Gulch+Road,+Evergreen,+CO+to:Squaw+Pass+Road,+Evergreen,+CO+to:Conifer,+CO+to:Buffalo+Creek,+CO+to:Woodland+Park,+CO+to:garden+ofthe+gods+to:Briargate+Parkway,+Colorado+Springs,+CO+to:39.098681,-104.7705703+to:39.124212,-104.7665248+to:Palmer+Lake,+CO+to:39.2609522,-104.9492037+to:w.+Wolfensburger+Road,+Castle+Rock,+CO+to:Lake+Gulch+Rd+to:39.297113,-104.6913289+to:CO-86+E+to:39.4563587,-104.6832796+to:39.5056954,-104.661639+to:39.5245658,-104.6613019+to:E+Smoky+Hill+Rd+to:S+Tower+Rd&hl=en&ll=39.262031,-104.905701&spn=0.928237,2.086029&sll=39.545353,-104.749832&sspn=0.46224,1.043015&geocode=FfJhXQIdODLB-Q;FbpAWwIdH0G7-SFoKeHNo9O5CCmx6Txex3trhzFoKeHNo9O5CA;FeglXAId_Rm6-Q;FanBXAIdofy4-SmhzDKxMXVrhzFYZYmi5ZW3gw;FQgvXQIdiV25-Q;FcHFXQIdHcy4-SnVEjjZTplrhzHXEz-n24ny0A;FfJ3XQId0Zi2-SnDNi1u-6NrhzE-YzMk7anskA;FUwLWwIdSSu5-SkDttygUXFrhzHPIbwwx-LeIw;FSD-WAIdAbS5-SnD_09v125rhzGDtpy5DuQrCw;Fdn_UgIdXvW8-SlBvg3Fy6oUhzFvYb-VdC4fzQ;Fd05UQIdY8q_-SE6a1nnGsLbNin_kAfMZlAThzE6a1nnGsLbNg;FfOSUgIdj3nB-Sl3q6hYEEwThzEWITnnpOMFLg;FTmZVAId9lPB-SmpxLlD67NshzHUNk100yPRTQ;FfT8VAIdxGPB-SmJHVHv47NshzGHpyI-VL2CxA;FSb1VAIdLBe_-SnpzUpEz65shzEtSYCuicRecw;FRgTVwIdLZq--SmN3PbdUqFshzGu213803bGOA;FYmVWAId2Dm_-SlLe4-b7phshzEuOz0rWDkgJg;FZ5AVwIdgrfB-Q;FVmgVwIdgInC-SmrgWI2Mr9shzGqSH7n0V0alw;Fbe8WAIdlrTC-Q;FWYOWgId8ajC-Smp5ewLYJNshzEXU5QD1TEE4w;FR_PWgIdef3C-SkdqXsH05JshzE3-0baStKmGA;FdUYWwIdy_7C-SmP-HwLs5JshzEi2_5kAqtNAw;Ff9tXAIdrY7B-Q;FeNbXQIdJUzB-Q&oq=tower&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=11&via=12,13,15,18,20,21,22&t=m&z=10

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I enjoyed the read and the video with my morning coffee. Very nice way to start the day if you can't ride today. That looks like the place to be in July or August when it is well over 100 here!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
[quote;1719622]This is an awesome post. I will doing Denver this year and I have noted your route. My big ride was going to be in April but I am realizing I should delay a couple of months for weather sake. thanks for the excellent route.[/quote]
My only trip to Colorado was in the middle of June. I didn't have heated gear then. I needed it in the elevations. I have it now. I can't wait to get back up there.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Chuck, thanks for taking me along with you. I've been on every one of those roads so I felt each and every turn. I especially
like 105 as I've said b/4 that it reminds me so much of when I rode in Italy. Maybe on of these days I'll finally get back out riding on my own instead of riding along with someone else in my mind!!

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Mt Evans is an awesome road to ride up. I went up it when I rode out to Utah in June of 2011. That's highest I've been and was a little lightheaded at the top.

267275_223408217692412_8058546_n.jpg264008_223408177692416_2945757_n.jpg261337_223408827692351_195316_n.jpg

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
What a great day of riding! I've had some of my best days when I had no plan and just went. Great Pics too.

Chuck nice ride report. BUT WAIT JUST A MINUTE ! 6 hours to clean two bikes? Hey buddy your starting to push into H-D territory there.:crackup Didn't know your bikes had that much chrome on them.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Chuck nice ride report. BUT WAIT JUST A MINUTE ! 6 hours to clean two bikes? Hey buddy your starting to push into H-D territory there. Didn't know your bikes had that much chrome on them.
I guess when you are retired, you have time to do things like that. Not like he needs to clean the garage. :D

carymca

R.I.P. - 2020/01/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2005 Gold Wing
STOC #
Great ride report, map, and driving directions. I copied them so that when I am out there this summer to visit family I can ride some of these roads. I have been on some, but appreciate knowing about more of them. Love those mountain rides.
Hope to visit with you at Roy's.

Cary

Bike
Dl 1000, ST1100
Just can't understand why anyone would want to ride in such an uninviting landscape. Thanks for sharing the ride. (grinning green guy)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The great thing about reading one of my good friend Chuck's CO ride reports is having actually ridden those roads with him! Can't wait to do it again!!

John

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Great report Chuck. Have also copied. Stored my bike in Aurora last winter while "touching the states". Think I met you at the Honda dealer .......Intend to bring it back out there & leave it for a couple of years... Fly in & out ....& explore ........ Will use your report .. Thanks

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Today I took the little ST700 out for a test run. Had to check out the heated grips. the extra circuit panel, and the plug in the tire. Tire held up real good with no issues and the heated grips worked very well. Keep my hands warm with only light riding gloves on Most of the ride the grips were on low. All is A-OK .

So today I went down and rode along the South Platte River. I duplicated a portion of my previous route, but in reverse. The primary goal was to enjoy the scenery along the S Platte and get a picture of the old South Platte Hotel. I had to do some easy smooth flat dirt road to get there. What I found was they had just put down loose ash and were Rolling it in. So there were a bit of tense moments, but nothing I have not done before. Also we had a snow fall and melt since the last ride report, so the roads today had a lot of fine loose gravel in the curves. I just had to remember to take it easy and stay in the wheel tracks through those gravely spots. All in all a great short 150 mile ride today. As we say around here," If you don't like the weather wait until tomorrow". We are suppose to have 1 to 2 inches of snow tonight. So I have to get out and ride when I can. I am not going to bore you with a lot of ride description and verbage. today, I will let the attached pictures speak for today's ride. Enjoy.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E+Hampden+Ave&daddr=39.6122287,-104.7917641+to:39.5764108,-104.8060266+to:39.533174,-104.8131666+to:Castle+Pines,+CO+to:Sedalia,+CO+to:W+Pine+Creek+Rd,+Sedalia,+CO+to:Deckers+Store,+Douglas,+CO+to:Buffalo+Creek,+CO+to:Co+Rd+96/W+Platte+River+Rd+to:Conifer,+CO+to:Little++Club+Creek+Trail,+Evergreen,+CO+to:high+drive+to:Co+Rd+122/S+Turkey+Creek+Rd+to:W+Deer+Creek+Canyon+Rd+to:E+Arapahoe+Rd+to:39.629479,-104.8757751+to:E+Hampden+Ave&hl=en&sll=39.622879,-104.839439&sspn=0.115431,0.260754&geocode=FQQPXQIdYkbB-Q;FURvXAIdLAHB-SlfG4fzJYlshzHdp-Q95_ydnw;FVrjWwIddsnA-Sl9swc5GY9shzFFp2_CDEneYw;FXY6WwIdkq3A-SlHCNR4xo9shzG47WyRvNLr9A;FZZKWgIdjW6_-Sm7vd6brZtshzGSuWIhvhKcvg;FYbCWQIdJ3G--SkNuLnjAlxrhzH0cbooWBMcSw;FSR0WAId2Zy7-Sl_8JeXIGdrhzHVkWsIA7r8Jw;FVT2VgIdNF-6-SG1HTR1bAmeein7JqKGLkNrhzG1HTR1bAmeeg;FSD-WAIdAbS5-SnD_09v125rhzGDtpy5DuQrCw;FetSWQIdcTW7-Q;FUwLWwIdSSu5-SkDttygUXFrhzHPIbwwx-LeIw;FXtyXAIdyiu5-SnZt-6pAXZrhzFbl82pnILKAA;FY9JXAIdON-5-Sk_aEYXyndrhzH-j4RHBeJeHg;Fb4cXAIdon26-Q;FaSQWwIdfUe8-Q;Fb0rXAIdabe_-Q;FaeyXAIdAbm_-SlBiCKKTIZshzE2B5StERBY2Q;FVkOXQIdp1PB-Q&oq=18485&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=13&via=1,2,3,16&z=13

Last edited:
Top Bottom