Three Day Father's Day Weekend

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Well last Tuesday or Wednesday before Father?s Day, my wife (Anita) asked what I would like for father?s day. Well if you listen to her story I came back to her in a few hours and handed her a map with a motorcycle route highlighted. She goes ?What is this?? I told her that this where we are taking our bikes this weekend. She says ?Well I have Monday off too.? I walked away and came back with another map with more roads highlighted, handed it to her and again she goes ?What is this?? I say ?I added Monday to the route.?

So this was the start of it. Now a couple of weeks ago there was a post for a RTE her in Colorado to go to Dillion, Colorado for breakfast. So another question hey do you want to do the RTE on Saturday morning as the start of the Father?s Day weekend. She replied ?Sure.? So, yet again, another map revision.

We have been talking about going to parts of Colorado where we have not been by planes, trains, autos or bikes so we pulled out the trusty book of Colorado motorcycle roads, ?The Complete Guide to Motorcycling in Colorado?. A good book to have around. So our focus was to get from Castle Rock, CO to Dillion, CO and somewhere in northwest, Central West and South West Colorado and back to Castle Rock in 3 days. I am think 1000 to 1200 miles, but I needed to keep in mind that this will be Anita?s first long trip riding her bike (a 2000 ST1100) with really no days for breaks. She is also a novice rider so a focus on the roads is important.

So in the end we had a wonderful time over three days riding the parts of Colorado that we had no idea that existed. We did 1074 miles in three days at a leisurely pace. But, yep there is always a but isn?t there. After breakfast and getting ready to go from the Arapahoe Caf? in Dillion, I plugged in my GPS, it booted and shut off. This happened many, many times and finally somewhere in northwest Colorado it turned on and stayed. Well that night at the motel in Frutia, CO I ended up deleting a bunch of archive data and then it started to work again. So I missed a portion of my route capture. Also My GoPro (the Hero 3 Black) is very disappointing in that it only holds a charge for about 1 ? hours using it only for Stills. So Again there are many portions of the trip that I did not get a lot of pics on. And then Finally on the second day on Grand Mesa Scenic Byway we pulled out in somewhat of a precarious pull out. Anita parked her bike and I went to park mine and it was headed downhill slightly and more straight up then I like it and when I went to get off the bike rolled forward and tipped to the right side and went down flipping me off the bike. Pride was hurt and the bike suffered the infamous broke mirror cover. I maybe should have left it gear this time. A lesson learned or maybe a better parking spot.

So if anyone has a right hand mirror cover for a ST1100 with no cracks send me a PM. I don?t care about color but black is good.

There is a Streets and Trips map attached that details the trip, and there are tags that reference the book above with route numbers and names. I say about on mile because my Streets and Trips miles and the bike bikes do not align. And as mentioned the GPS didn?t work for part of the trip. I will make more posts this week when I get the photos sorted for the good ones. When the GoPro has a full charge you can take a lot of photos in a short time. I have several hundred to go thru.

Day 1
Castle Rock to Frutia the long way, about 423 miles. As usual the goal of our trips is to minimize interstate highways, so we ended up with around a 120 miles of interstate. Everything else ways 2 lane less traveled roads. This was all about roads and not so much about historic and museum rides. Each day was great but there of course are certain roads that stand out. County 27 or (Twentymile) from Oak Creek to Hayden. This is a lovely 23 miles of long low speed swipers that is a top the largest underground coal mine in the US. You would never know. Just as a note we drove all of the two lane roads at posted or under. The scenery was spectacular and you either looked at the scenery or the road. Riding anything over the posted was all about the road. Some of these are unforgiving if a mistake is made.

Then the other great road for Day one was from Rangely to Loma, Highway 139 (Douglas Pass). 70 miles of ever changing topography and great red roads on the Butler maps. Ending up in Frutia and having pub grub at Suds Brothers Brewing. Walking distance to the H Motel, not fancy just cheap and clean.

Attached to this post is a shot of the route and some pictures along HWY 13 from Craig to Meeker - Williams Fork Canyon.

Attachments

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
That sounds like a great way to spend a few days on the road. Nice area to ride in. Sounds like you had a good time.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Smash you are absolutely correct. That was the plan all along. As you know I put those big crash bars on Anita's bike to save the mirrors. I just needed to remind her why I put them on with a real life example. :)

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Brad, so glad the two of you got out for an extended ride. Proud of Anita for her venture. Wish that Carole would reconsider riding but just isn't going to happen.
Hope all your future rides are good ones too!
Gary

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Day 2 ? About 367 miles but many hours

Not many pictures for this section the GoPro decided it had enough and the battery went to sleep.

Heading East on Hwy 6/ I-70 taking exit 49 on to Highway 65 you enter Plateau Canyon 11 miles of great canyon riding. Staying on Highway 65 this turns into Grand Mesa Scenic Byway, 40 miles of curves, mountain lakes and flat tops. This brought us to Delta, from there we headed north on Highway 50 to Whitewater. Turning on Highway 141heads to Gateway, and Placerville. From there Highway 62 to Dallas Divide and Ridgeway. This is a 154 miles of ever changing geology and topography. An unbelievable ride. At Gateway unbeknownst to us there is a high-end resort the Gateway Canyons Resort. I check online when I got home rooms started at $599 per night. (I think Chuck may enjoy this place.) But what a place. We ended up in Gunnison that night and had good BBQ (the 5B?s BBQ)and beer. Again walking distance to the Western Motel.

So for those living here in Colorado and those coming here to Colorado I highly recommend these roads. Plus depending on where you want to end up, one could always do HWY 550 the most dangerous road in the US. Or head west to Utah. There is a lot to do here. For sure Anita and I will be back this for more of the roads we have not seen.

Attachments

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Day 3 ? About 284 miles

Many Pictures for this stretch the GoPro behaved.

Normally we would take Highway 50 over Monarch Pass but we needed a change and took a left at Highway 114. This brought us through Cochetopa Canyon and North Cochetopa Pass. Yep another highlight that has always just been under our noses. We have been going to Gunnison for some 10 years for 2 kids that went to college there. We were amazed as to how few vehicles we saw on this road. It is an excellent alternative to Monarch. This was the end to a perfect weekend with Anita and the bikes. Yea and they had to sleep outside there was no room at the inn for them.

For those of you not from here and thinking about coming to ride the beautiful roads of Colorado please let the Colorado Team know and we can certainly advise what to do. Monarch is an excellent ride but we have done it so many time that an alternative route was good.

All in all a great trip and a great RTE at the Arapahoe Caf? with a bunch of great folks to kick the trip off.

Attachments

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Brad, thanks for the ride along. I need to get up north of I-70 like you did. Yes I saw that resort and determand that I could not afford to stay there, just by the looks of the grounds and golf course. No way that I could even think about affording 599.00 a night. ;) I cannot even afford $59.90 a night. And I am getting too old to be sleeping on the ground. After the road trip I am on now, down to Alamogordo, New mexico and back, I am going to have to stay home for the rest of the summer. Remember I am a retired senior, on a fixed income.:D

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Thanks for posting this, I am enjoying it. I also envy you that your wife is accompanying you. Mrs. Redfish will not ever ride on the bike of my ST and would not even consider riding a motorcycle on her own.

I am hoping to leave South Louisiana on the 4th or 5th of July headed to Colorado. I will be riding all of Hwy 141 for the second time and then working my way back eastward. I rode a good deal of Colorado last year and hope to have another great trip this time.

Top Bottom