3200 Miles/9 days on a KLR650

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I decided to do a different kind of ride this summer. I spent nine days on my KLR650 riding from my home in Salinas, CA up to Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Rode through the usual National Parks, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Craters of the Moon etc. I also found many dirt and gravel back roads, jeep trails that led from the lowland prairies and valleys up into the mountains. Usually these reached trailheads for horses and backpackers where I had to stop but found some incredibly beautiful spots that are not on the usual tourist routes. I have found that there are many roads in Montana and Idaho that are used by ranchers that criss-cross the state and you can travel long distances on dirt roads and avoid the interstates. Had a great time and am looking forward to doing it again. The old KLR ran without a glitch and endured miles of 75+ mph freeway abuse in temperatures that exceeded 102 deg.. I found the KLR reasonably comfortable on long stretches of highway and was able to ride up to 650 miles a day on two occasions. It was a fantastic bike when the roads tightened up and of course when there was dirt and gravel.
I have modified the bike somewhat by adding the 685 kit with a forged piston, isolation mounted handlebars, advanced the exhaust cam timing and added a one-tooth larger countershaft sprocket to improve freeway cruising. Also added Ricor valves to the front forks and a Progressive back shock. Overall the bike worked flawlessly and did not burn a drop of oil in 3200 miles.

Attached some pics.

Dan

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Last year I took a 500 mile ride through the Smokeys on a rented KLR 650 and decided then if I found one at a decent price I would buy it. Well I did, and I am becomong more and more fond of my 2011 model and find myself riding it frequently for short trips and to just explore. It came all farkled up and with knobbies which I kept for a while, but switched to Shinko 705s. All I have done to it really besides that is the doohickey upgrade. Mine does not burn any oil either. Looks like you had a great trip!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like a great way to see that part of the country! Sounds and looks like you had a great time Dan!!

Bike
GL1800
KLR is perfect for that kind of ride. It just purrs along. Is the 685 kit smoother than stock and do you really notice a power increase?

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
KLR is perfect for that kind of ride. It just purrs along. Is the 685 kit smoother than stock and do you really notice a power increase?
The 685 Kit is a must-do for any KLR now that I have done it to mine and I see how much better it runs. The forged piston is almost 8 oz lighter than the stock cast piston and it reduces reciprocating mass substantially which reduces vibration very noticeably. The torque and total horsepower improves about 15% which is an added bonus. With the 685 kit and increasing the countershaft sprocket by one tooth it makes a lot of difference on the highway and due to the increased torque output does not effect off road performance that I can tell.

Also - Advancing the exhaust cam by one tooth on the cam chain gives you about a 1/2 horsepower boost along with much improved starting and a more free revving feeling engine.

Another recommendation - I ran a new Metzeler Karoo 3 tire on the back. It is a great tire - wears like iron - very good on the pavement as well as the dirt. Looks aggressive but is smooth on the highway.

Dan

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
I saw a PBS special on Idaho forest roads: Over 4,000 miles of forest service type graded roads. One of them (Lolo Pass) follows the route of Lewis and Clark and parallels Route 12 along the Lochsa River (99 miles of curves!) Another famous one is the Magruder Road Corridor (101 miles) and follows the Nez Pierce route to Darby, Mt. Probably too many to mention; we are fortunate to live near these places.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Its either the KLR650 or the S10 for me, but wow, what a fine bang for one's riding buck! KLR650s are so cool. Thanks for sharing the pictures from your trip :)

Regards,
Vishnu

jim 91 st

Jim 91 ST1100
Bike
91 ST1100
I have an 08 KLR, 30k miles, and it is of course one of the "oil burners" from that era. Nice bike, several glitches (wiring harness for one) but I keep oil with me just in case. And it is SUCH a big change from riding the ST... amazing! I get used to one and then it is hard to go back to the other. But they both have their good points and I don't plan to sell either.

Bike
None
STOC #
Thank you for your great report. Do you usually ride alone and, if so, have you ever dropped it on one of those out of the way, lonely, back roads?

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Thank you for your great report. Do you usually ride alone and, if so, have you ever dropped it on one of those out of the way, lonely, back roads?
I mostly ride alone and have on occasion tipped it over in some tight spots. I carry a Delorme Inreach SE with me so I can call for help via satellite if I am in a real pickle. I also carry a small home made block and tackle that uses nylon rope and some stainless steel sailboat pulleys so I can drag the bike upright, out of mud or up an embankment if I get my self stuck somewhere. I have not had to use it yet but I like having it with me.

Top Bottom