STOC #
Statistical Information

Total Time: 16 hours
Total Driving Time: 12 hours
Total Distance: 810.11 miles
Average Speed: 63.16 mph
Maximum Speed: 147.06 (separate story)

The Trip

I left the house around 8 o’clock in the morning to start on the days adventure. After gassing up near the house it was onto the 210 Freeway heading East with the cruise control set. Onto the 10 Freeway East and after a little over an hour it was North on SR-62 (Twentynine Palms Hwy). In Joshua Tree it was South at Park Boulevard to the West entrance to Joshua Tree National Park. It was a scenic slow ride through the park with a few stops for photos. I ventured up the road toward Barker Dam till it turned to dirt before turning around and eventually leaving via the North entrance in Twentynine Palms.

After a tank top-off and lunch at McDonald’s it was back on the road East again on SR-62. I kicked it up a notch or two before getting to Granite Pass, but that’s a story for another time. I ran across a small herd of burros so it was time to break out the camera again for some more photos. I went through Vidal Junction to Earp and then detoured North on Parker Dam Road. I was planning on going all the way to the dam but turned around before getting there in the interest of time as there was some bar-b-que waiting for me in Arizona.

After a little back-tracking I stopped in Parker to stretch and top off my tank before heading South on AZ 95. I then picked up 72 into Bouse where I stopped to take a few pictures of reminders of Camp Bouse. Back on the road again to 60 East and 132 miles later I was there, Lovejoy's Kansas City Barbeque - Phoenix.

The food was good and the company better but it was time to get back on the road if I wanted to make it home before turning into a pumpkin at midnight. The trip home was at a brisk pace and this time it was the 10 West instead of back-roads. This time around the traffic and weather cooperated. I left Phoenix just before 7 PM and after a couple of refills and a rest stop I was home about midnight.

I got so tied up in the details I forgot to put in some important information. Except for having to slow down when you come to cities, towns or communities you can scoot along pretty good :D. Most of it was one lane each direction and no traffic to really speak of. Staying off the major highways can be some real fun :).

Attachments

Last edited:

Yogi

Have MC -- Will Travel
Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
Sounds like a great day to me!;) Though you need to expound on the max speed part:D

Bike
04ST1300A
STOC #
Your reports make me chuckle. I always get the sense that you decide to go on these excursions to AZ and other places as a 'last minute' deal and yet you seem to go great distances, etc.

Good stuff.

Sorry I wasn't able to go to the Meet/Greet last night.

--Bryan
04ST1300A
:04biker:

OP
OP
Byron

Byron

STOC #
O.K. Tom I posted the details, you can read them here.

Bryan,

Maybe because I'm sort of a last minute kind of guy. I didn't have my mind made up about going all the way to Phoenix until I reached the river. My plan was depending on how I felt I could either turn around or go on from there. Earlier in the week I plotted out possible route using Microsoft Steets & Trips so I had an idea of mileage and time required. It's kind of like just taking off and seeing were the road takes me that day. The payoff Saturday was Bar-B-Que :D and chat with friends as well.

I've thought about doing a saddle sore but not sure I wanted to hassle with all the paperwork. Besides, I need to test the waters to see how I would fare. Not worried about the bike as it is rock solid.

Also, just got the new Sargent seat not long ago and needed to see how it, or should I say my posterier, would do. Besides, just being out on two wheels is so much better than most anything else right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom