My Big Ride

Bike
08 ST1300
Been reading about other adventures long enough that I couldn't take it any more. Took a leave from work and set off to see the west coast. Never motorcycle camped before but have lots of boat camping experience. Biggest problem was fitting all the stuff on my bike. it took a little work but I managed. Set out Saturday from Beloit, Wi. and made it into Grand Island Nebraska my first day. Set up camp west of the Royal Gorge in Colorado on Sunday. Took the cog train to the top of Pikes Peak on Monday and also took the train through the Royal Gorge . Today I tried to go up Mount Evans but there was too much snow. Continued to Estes Park and thought about sleeping there but found out the road through Rocky Mountain National Park was just opened Friday. What an incredible ride. They had cleared 8 ft of snow from the road on top of the mountain. Was worried the water running across the road might be freezing because it was getting late in the day but never slipped a wheel. Now Camping at Timber Creek Campground in rocky mountain national park. Set up camp and can see the snow covered mountain tops. Yes it is going to be a cold evening. The rest of my trip consist of Idaho National parks, Grand Canyon, Hwy 1 up the west coast and haven't decided how to get home yet. Having a blast. I knew I was missing out while reading others adventures. Will post pics and updates as time and wi-fi availability become available.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Hwy 20 in Washington is a great ride. Especially around Lake Diablo. If you are coming to Oregon let us know...some great gems there too.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like a great trip. When you get close to California give me a call. I am right off Hwy 1 in central California. Enjoy the trip.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime, or the first of a new lifetime! I get excited just thinking about all the beautiful scenery you will pass. Take lots of the picture and enjoy!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Very nice adventure! Keep it going and please keep us updated.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Congrats-you're gonna have such a great time that you won't want to return home!!!!!!!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for posting, sounds like a lot of fun. I'm doing something similar in a couple weeks... NJ back to TX, camping most of the way. Will be my first big motocamping trip as well.

Please keep us updated on your adventure and throw in a few pics when you can. Ride smart and safe!

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Keep us all posted and contact me when you get in the great NW. Lots of great roads in WA OR ID

ToddC

OP
OP
Bike
08 ST1300
Here is my first attempt . Having problems posting pics. This is last Monday on top of Pikes Peak. Rode the cog train due to the road being closed for snow. People were walking on top of the welcome building.

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
08 ST1300
Pic on the right is my campsite at the KOA near Cotopaxi west of the Royal Gorge in Colorado where I stayed Sunday and Monday night.

Second is as close as I could get to Mount Evans. The last few miles were closed because of snow.

The left pic is my campsite ( Timber Creek Campground) in Rocky Mountain National Park with snow covered mountain in the background. I woke up to frost on the bike and tent.

Attachments

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Keep the pictures and ride reports coming. You are living my dream. Hopefully this Sept I'm going to do the same thing. I also haven't camped in a long time but for financial reasons, I plan on doing so! Keep up with the fun thing and stay safe.

OP
OP
Bike
08 ST1300
Here is top part of Rocky Mountain National park. They opened the road on friday and i traveled it the next tuesday. they had cleared it with a snow blower. It was fine. I was a little worried where the water had melted across the road that it might refreeze being late in the day but I never slipped a wheel.

Attachments

Bike
92 ST1100
Here is top part of Rocky Mountain National park. They opened the road on friday and i traveled it the next tuesday. they had cleared it with a snow blower. It was fine. I was a little worried where the water had melted across the road that it might refreeze being late in the day but I never slipped a wheel.
Didn't by any chance stop at the historical site of the Holzworth's dude ranch site, just a few miles down from your camp location? My history initially from my parents STARTED there, with them marrying there when they were workers there back in 1949-50. Both parents east-coast people(upper state NewYork and Delaware) met there after father came from WWII Japanese theatre and was attending college in FortCollins. Mother.....well, just loved horses....rest is history;).
Have a SAFE and wonderful riding adventure!

OP
OP
Bike
08 ST1300
OK. On Wednesday the 3rd. I left Timber Creek Campground and headed for Utah. Hwy 70 on the west end of Colorado is like a poster card view around every turn and the tunnels are cool. Destination Arches National Park. It is big and the stone displays are great but it was just not for me. Had really sore eyes from the trip. Ended up buying some goggle sun glasses which cured either to much sun or wind problem. Camped in Green River at the KOA. Thursday I took the La Sal mountain loop which is located just south of Arches. What a great day. Will end up being one of my best destinations . Just remember cattle are free roaming on the mountain and think they have the right of way. Here are a couple of pics from the mountain loop. Afterwards I headed to Arizona to see the Grand Canyon. Had to stop at a hotel in Moenkopi Lega because of a storm.

Attachments

Bike
2004 ST1300
Looks like an awesome trip. THANK YOU for posting! Take lots of pics, then share them with the rest of us poor schmucks who are stuck working :mad:. Have a safe & fun trip.

OP
OP
Bike
08 ST1300
Ok. Friday was my big day to see the Grand Canyon. Went to the South rim and was really taken back by the sight. I thought I had prepared for what I was about to see but was way more impressed. Then I got this what turned out to be a really bad idea. I decided I had enough time to go around to the North rim and camp for the night so I could explore it Saturday morning. It is a long way around and arrived about 4:30 to Five only to find no campground with a opening. At this point I was hosed. I decided to work my way back towards Flagstaff because that would be a good starting spot for Saturday and thought for sure I could find a hotel/lodge of some sort along the way. Well I was wrong. Nothing until I got to Flagstaff. To top it off I had to endure a 50 degree driving rain for the last two hours of the journey. Lesson learned. Make a confirmed reservation by noon for where you will stay that night. Only good thing was I captured a rainbow shortly after leaving the north rim.

Attachments

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
It's all beautiful riding in that country... But you are gonna get warm today! Travel safe! You are gonna love 1 up the coast! Remember the starting point of 1 is a Dana Point.. might as well begin at the beginning!

Top Bottom