dohyboy and Woodchuck in the Maritimes

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Looks like you guys are having a great time and munching the km pretty fast.

Have a a safe trip

Cherie and Gerhard

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
We missed each other by a few days. I just did 4000 km, ride all around Newfoundland and the full coastline of Nova Scotia and Cape Breton, back to Newfoundland. I had planned to go to Maine, but could not tear my ST from the twisties in Nova Scotia! Fantastic riding. If you are still in Newfoundland, St. John's area and need anything, pm me and I will do whatever I can to help a fellow rider out.
rubber side down.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
The guys should be in the line up for the ferry as I post this. Raining here in Corner Brook but I think they have missed it once again in Port aux Basques.
How did they do a trip around Newfoundland and never get rained on?
Got to ride a 2nd day with them.
Jim Lyle Ron small.jpg
Yesterday evening in the Tim Horten's in Port aux Basques.
Safe ride back home.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Just doesn't seem fair ;) We had one of the worst soakings ever this past Sunday travelling through southern Maine and got kicked out of a restaurant to top it off.

Gerhard

OP
OP
dohboy
Bike
2005 BMW RT
Yes we are in the terminal waiting for the ferry to North Sydney. The weather here in Newfoundland was good.
Some days cold and windy more days sunny and warmer, high 70. Took boat ride in Twillingate to see iceberg, visited former Viking settlement at St. Anthony had great rides with and without Jim. Rides with Jim he showed us senic places we wouldn't have stopped at. Lyle must be getting tired, he is behaving himself.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Just doesn't seem fair ;) We had one of the worst soakings ever this past Sunday travelling through southern Maine and got kicked out of a restaurant to top it off.

Gerhard
Kicked-out ? Care to give any details ? :)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The guys should be in the line up for the ferry as I post this. Raining here in Corner Brook but I think they have missed it once again in Port aux Basques.
How did they do a trip around Newfoundland and never get rained on?
Got to ride a 2nd day with them.
Jim Lyle Ron small.jpg
Yesterday evening in the Tim Horten's in Port aux Basques.
Safe ride back home.
Oh that guy in the middle is a real dodgy one........ the one on the right is questionable........ hopefully you escaped unharmed, Jim.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Kicked-out ? Care to give any details ? :)
We where riding south on U.S. 1 when we saw a nice spot for breakfast. The food was terrific, coffee hot and generally a good experience. In comes a table of ten, the server says we can't handle that many, only three at a time. The table agrees that will be ok, a few minutes later the cook comes out says we are closing and refunded people their money and asked everyone to leave. It was truly a bizarre experience but we where lucky that we had finished our meal when asked to leave the restaurant. I would go there again if I was in the area.

Gerhard

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
We where riding south on U.S. 1 when we saw a nice spot for breakfast. The food was terrific, coffee hot and generally a good experience. In comes a table of ten, the server says we can't handle that many, only three at a time. The table agrees that will be ok, a few minutes later the cook comes out says we are closing and refunded people their money and asked everyone to leave. It was truly a bizarre experience but we where lucky that we had finished our meal when asked to leave the restaurant. I would go there again if I was in the area.

Gerhard

If you go back make sure to pick only your 2 closest riding buddies to go in with you ! Another option is to carry some special chocolate bars with you at all times and maybe you could "negotiate" a larger party!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #

Gerhard

Hmmmm, it sounds like Indiana DIDN'T want you. Oooops, it was Maine - my bad.

All-in-all, a very odd experience in a little neighbourhood diner.

OP
OP
dohboy
Bike
2005 BMW RT
Hi Gang, Lyle and I are safely home. To bring you up to date, we landed in North Sydney NS, and had a short ride to St. Ann's on the Cabot. We will ride the Trail clockwise this time. Rode about 40 min. To the Dancing Goat for breakfast. Good place to stop any meal. We new showers were in the forecast, but we encountered Rain for about half the Trail. We didn't get to enjoy the ride, but finished the loop and headed for Truro. Woke up to heavy fog. Late start, next stop being the Hopewell Flower Pots. It is a place that has free standing 50 foot stone columns that are in the water at high tide, but are 300 feet from the water's edge at low tide. The tide was low, but still going out so fast that I posed for a picture with my toe in the water and by the Lyle was ready my toe wasn't in the water. We made it to Calais Maine for the night passing through two rain storms. We had dinner on the patio at the hotel and Lyle got going with the locals as only Lyle can. We did enjoy our self's there. Rode through some rain, then sunny on our arrival at LL Bean in Freeport. What a zoo. The city and store were packed. Rode a shot distance to Portland. Parked at the waterfront and walked around. Very busy here on a sunny Sunday after noon. Left Portland Maine and headed for Bath NY. Enjoyable ride in southern NH and VT. except for the camping trailers on the road which brought our passing skills into play. In Schenectady, Lyle read GPS to go left and I read right. The plan was if we got separated to meet at the motel I proceed at or under the speed limit waiting for Lyle to catch up. Anybody else ever ride like that? I got passed by hundreds of cars but no Lyle. He stopped and waited for me which put him in the middle of heavy rain storms requiring reduced speeds and pull offs. Lyle got into a McDonalds, checked my Spot and saw that I was at the motel. He made it there safe and we had a good laugh over it. Bath NY was our last night on the road together. We parted company and both arrived home yesterday July 19, 2016. It was a great trip to a very interesting area. Lyle and I have similar riding styles and endurance limits. When i was ready to take a break he was ready. After the first night on the road we always had a room booked for the days ride. I rode 5700 mile and had a great time with a true friend. Yes we are still speaking. I will try to assemble an album.
Ron and Lyle

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
I'm so glad you both had a wonderful trip and are home, safe and sound. Thanks for bringing us along on the ride! :)

Patty

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Good to see that you 2 enjoyed the adventure and that you made it safely home. See you both on the way to ON-STOC.

Ray

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
So glad to see you both made it back safely. I just finished editing our Port au Port day and posted it on the video thread here.
Had two really great days riding with you.
all the best
Jim

Top Bottom