Ride and Drive a Locomotive

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
This past weekend I rode the STP with a friend 1200 miles RT to Ely Nv to "Drive" a diesel locomotive at Northern Nevada Railroad

IMG_1575.jpg

The ride over the Sierras and out 50 was great with temps dipping to 27 the return morning

IMG_1572.jpg

We we arrived at NNR three hours before our time and had full access to the tracks

IMG_1576.jpg

And Machine shop.

IMG_1574.jpg

The steam engine was pretty cool, next time!

IMG_1566.jpg

We each drove the train 14 1/2 miles which went by way too fast. We had to take a test beforehand to know the rules, refs, hand signals, whistle blows etc. Blowing the whistle, going through the crossing gates at various roads including Hwy 50 was way cool. Not much to the controls, very simplistic, but the order of operations was important.

IMG_1567.jpg

All in all a great time that I would recommend highly. For us, two 600 mile days of riding and a day of trains couldn't get much better. Our Engine, the 109

IMG_1571.jpg

Not sure why some pics are sideways

Bike
2006 ST1300
For about 20 years, I was an EE working at the General Electric Erie works- where ( among other things) diesel electric locomotives are built. When I first started there, and was still in school, we'd sneak up to Bldg 60, the test area, and grab a ride on one of the test locomotives...and if up there on second shift, sometimes one of the test guys would let us "drive". What a great experience! It's hard to fathom a 16 cylinder engine that redlines at 1250 RPM.

Awesome experience.

I got to toot the whistle of a switcher engine in the station when I was four so we have a lot in common.:mrgreen:

OP
OP
Trapperdog

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Thanks guys. Although not a train nut as my buddie that went with me, there is a certain romance regarding trains possibly born from having a train set as a child. Doing a fair amount of cross country riding, one of my favorite pastimes is chasing down trains in the flat boring states and getting the engineer to hit the whistle. Although my record is only three in one day, it helps relieve any boredom.

OP
OP
Trapperdog

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Now that's one I would really like to do. How did you may that happen???
i saw the opportunity on an TV episode of "Big Bang Theory". They had a special whereas it only cost us $250 each. Googling "drive a train" shows several locations across the USA that offer this, generally non profit organizations. You can do a diesel/steem combo as well as pulling cars. The price rises accordingly to what you want to do. A unique experience for sure.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
What a cool experience! I have a cousin that is an engineer on a train up in the Idaho area. I've never been on a train outside Disney & Knott's Berry Farm! LOL

Top Bottom