Coldest Ride 2017-2018

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Getting some colder weather now. It was 5 when my son rode to work, but I waited until the sun came up before taking off. 9 degrees on this mornings 67 mile ride. Heated grips on 40% heated jacket liner on about 75%.

Supposed to be below zero New Years eve. Coming for you Dan lol (just kidding I don't think it's ever been lower than -9 in Cincinnati and that was in Jan 1982 (btw I rode that day too, as did my younger brother..and no electrics back then)

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I waited for the sun to come up and get things to a toasty -1 before I rode in to work today. Still no electrics but I put in some heat packs in the gloves. My Klim snowmobile boats kept the feet fine. The fingers were hurting a bit after 30 minutes but tolerable. I'll hook up the heated glove liners next time the commute is below zero and see how that goes.

Later,
Kent "mudduc" Larson in Minnesota
(not a doctor)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Saw 6° today, hoping for a 5° commute tomorrow. Had to add a little air to the tires, running low.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Darn, temperature went up instead of down. Was a balmy 9° for the morning commute and not so surprising, only bike I saw on base again.

Interesting side note, I normally don't watch the internal tire temperature during this time of the year. While sitting at the light I flipped the display from pressure to temperature. Normally the bike runs about 10° difference from front to back. Today, 18°, 44° front and 62° rear. Guess the engine is providing some wind protection and a little extra heat.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Friday night we are expecting -18F but the snow last night is going to put a stop to any riding. More snow expected today and Friday so I don't foresee any more - temp rides for me.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Good goin guys! 1st post updated with latest temps. Please review for accuracy.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Weather prognosticators predicting -20 New Years Day morning. Would be nice to start the year with a ride but snow expected today and tomorrow so we'll see what the roads look like by New Years Eve. Sometimes they get out and get things cleared and sometimes not. Also may see -16 Tuesday so I hope to ride to work then... but then again... Still a few mornings the next week to be below zero*F and it is expected that the next 2 months will be below normal temps so maybe later a lower temp will present itself. I've taken the bike out in below zero temps every year we've had it that low. I've also taken the bike on hot days above 100*F but not so many years have seen that kind of heat around here.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
We do get a -5° prediciton here... New Years morning... hmm....:think1: Is it too early in the relationship for the girlfriend to see me getting out of bed just to go for a ride at 6am??

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I hear ya. -1 New Years morning predicted here, but it will take a before dawn ride to see it I think.

Got in 80 miles today. Considering the rest of the rides this past week it felt warm..not kidding. It was 22 when I took off and 25 by the time I got back home. Very comfortable riding.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
With tomorrow's forecast at -10 for the new year's day I-Cycle Derby...
http://ww...w.teamstrange.com/2018/i-cycle/index.htm
...I went out for a 15 minute test today at -13 degree-F and decided I needed heaters to make it tolerable.

So I put the bike inside and hooked up the wires for the glove liners pointed out a few months back by another member.
They heated up pretty good in a few minutes and should be handled ok by the charging system on my winter bike (Yamaha WR250R). Wires tuck in nice under the seat when I'm not in use.

No credit for today's test ride. I'll log in commute temps or the I-cycle Derby if they register a new personal low.

Later,

Attachments

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Going to be below zero here Tuesday morning, unfortunately it snowed yesterday. I live on a private road that only gets treated on the apron, a few curves and a few dips. Cars pound the other sections into ice and the ice won't melt until it gets above freezing. On a motorcycle I'm trapped at the top of my drive, which I clear. Didn't get to ride the last 2 days and New Years day tomorrow isn't looking good. I haven't missed a New Years day ride in years. Anyhow told my wife this morning I'm buying an enduro (think they call them dual sports now) so I don't get trapped anymore. Looking for a 250 4 stroke, elect start with fi starting tomorrow, lol

ErnieB

erneST
Bike
04' ST 1300
Had my all time "coldest ride" this morning.... 2*F with no heated gear?
I only rode about 15 miles but that was enough....my wife questions if I'm "right in the head"...
I had to go to the store and get sourkraut anyway for the New Year's soup-sourkraut.
Happy New Year and ride safe this year.IMG_8453.jpgNew Year ride.jpg

How cold is it when the air temp gauge on the ST reads "---"?

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

How cold is it when the air temp gauge on the ST reads "---"?

That would be colder than +14*F since the temp gauge on both our bikes won't read below that. Them's the temps I usually take along another temp sensor just to see how cold it is.

Snows over the weekend have caused a lot of ice residue on the neighborhood streets around my home and the driveway ended up covered. Was -18*F out this morning but no bike ride possible just yet. May get out to try and clear off more of the driveway this afternoon yet even though the high is only to be around -2*F.

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Well the weather gods finally dealt me a hand that I can play. I took this picture of my weather station as I headed out the door this morning, headed to a Polar Bear ride. It was 4.4F, up from an overnight low of 2, here on the ridge. Rode the 15 miles to the park for the meetup for the ride. About 18 bikes, mostly Harleys, in the ride, which was only about 10 miles. Got home at 1:30 and the temp was up to 17F. Felt like a heat wave.

Ride Warm
John

image.jpg

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I waited for the sun to come up and get things to a toasty -1 before I rode in to work today. Still no electrics but I put in some heat packs in the gloves. My Klim snowmobile boats kept the feet fine. The fingers were hurting a bit after 30 minutes but tolerable. I'll hook up the heated glove liners next time the commute is below zero and see how that goes.

Later,
(not a doctor)
Mud
Some years ago I was in International Falls Mn in February. There was a large gathering in the middle of town. We pursued to check it out. It was a Marathon and winter Festival going on!!! -25°F. ! Outside!
They called it "Freeze Your Gizzard Blizzard Run".. LOL.. there were hundreds of runners in this race. And they had shorty shorts on! with Tee-shirt !! unbelievable!!! It was so cold out that I didn't stick around long enough to know anything.. I thought to myself -- This is where real men live!!! I see this festival still goes on today. Good fro them.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Was going to be a personal best for me this morning but after a stomach bug and two days in the bathroom I didn't have the energy. Just walking from my bedroom to the kitchen for a bottle of Propel leaves me exhausted. Supposed to be -6 tomorrow morning for my commute, also a personal low best, but still not feeling so great. :(

It sounds l like my current temperature is about to get bumped out with all the folks riding.
Great job!!

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
We do get a -5° prediciton here... New Years morning... hmm....:think1: Is it too early in the relationship for the girlfriend to see me getting out of bed just to go for a ride at 6am??
Sooner is better than later to find if she tolerates your obsessions. Maybe you have a good one and she'll say "Hey, I want to go with!"

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I-Cycle Derby, New Years Day.
- 09:00 30 minute ride in was at -13°F
- 10:38 was my leg one starting time at -10°F for an hour long ride.
- 13:08 start for 45 minute leg two at -3°F.
- 15:15 30 minute ride home at a toasty 0°F.

I'll take credit for a -13°F Coldest Ride, thanks.

Today's commute was -10°F and comfortable with just layers of cloth and my Klim gear. My hands were even too warm with the Gerbing heated glove liners during yesterday's event and I popped the fuse about halfway through the day plugging them back in with the bike running. For this morning's commute I used some air-activated chemical heat packs for my gloves. Worked well enough but not as nice as the glove liners. I'll be replacing the fuse before my next below zero ride.

For the derby, I got 4th place by cheating. It helps that only 12 riders were entered.

After riding order was randomly assigned, I was slotted #8 behind a serious looking rider #7 with clipboard and stopwatch mounted to his Grom for the event.

Not being able to read the direction cards, (I'm at an age where I require reading glasses) I just followed rider 7 around, waited for him to check-in and ran the Final Jeopardy 30-second wait song through my head twice as I slowly crept up to check in after him.

Maybe next time I'll buy some anti-fog goggles with a reader prescription bi-focal (if such a thing exists).

Later,
Kent Larson in Woodbury

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
-13°F... man, that's really cold. Nice ride Kent.

Top Bottom