my " up north " ? ride

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
everyone in Michigan sez " i'm going up north " problem is no one seems to know how far north you have to go to be up north.
I rode the Mighty ST 1300 to henry's yesterday cause I wanted to go for a short ride once I left. my original plan was to go to Ohio and bum around but it seems i'm always in Ohio so I changed plans and decided to stay in Michigan. look couzinjeff rode his Mighty ST 1300 to henry's also

Attachments

OP
OP
drbuzzard
Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I left henry's about 14:50, it was73ºf with the wind coming in from the north and a sunny sky. I headed over to m-153 and took it east then picked up I-94, traffic was a little heavy on I-94 but it never came to a stop, I was ok with that. there was more of the same traffic on north bound I-75 until I got up into Pontiac, mi. when there was a couple of halts in traffic. back up to speed, rolling along at 80mph the Mighty ST 1300 was still showing 40mpg. good thing cause I left henry's with less than a half tank of fuel and maybe a gallon in the cell, still plenty to make my destination. I arrived in Zilwaukee around 16:50

Attachments

OP
OP
drbuzzard
Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
after leaving Zilwaukee I wanted to stay off the expressway but had to take I-75 south back to m-83. ah very little traffic but darn those round abouts that no one seems to know how to use, there were only two of them thank god. I took m-15 south and stopped in Vassar, mi. for fuel, topped off the tank and put just over two gallons in the fuel cell. I continued south on m-15 but I was ready to be back in the city so I jumped on I-75 and caught the end of rush hour traffic in troy, mi. I thought I would make a quick stop at a friends house, he had a m/c accident a few weeks ago and broke his collar bone so I ended up taking I-696 west and us-24 south to get to his place. he wasn't home so I took m-14 east to Schafer arriving home about 19:30 and the skis clouding over. 242 miles today

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Good ride but growing up in ‘northern’ Michigan, you didn’t go far enough to be ‘up north’. I grew up in Fairview about 100 miles south of Big Mac. And my wife is a Yooper. Now that’s ‘up north’!

Bike
VStrom 650
I would like an American/Canadian opinion on my thread name "Upt'North"; am I a fraud.
Just checked on my Latitude and it's the same as Pikwitonie, Manitoba, Canada.
Am I Upt'North or a southern softie?
By the way nice thread and sorry for the hijack!
Upt'North?

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
All a matter of perspective; where I live, I'm half way between the equator and the north pole. Folks south of me think I live "up north", but local people in my area think of the term as applying to those who go another couple of hour's drive north to go fishing. Where you are, from a Canadian perspective, has little to do with "north". You're "across the pond"! Or we might say you're "from away", so you might call yourself "pondway". Hopefully, you can come up with something better ...

Bike
2005 ST1300
I would like an American/Canadian opinion on my thread name "Upt'North";
Upt'North?
I can't give you an American/Canadian perspective but i can give you a Scottish one! From where i come from you're a "sassenach" but not a "darn sarf" southerner because to them we're all "Upt'North"........

cheers and ride safe mate!!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I would like an American/Canadian opinion on my thread name "Upt'North"; am I a fraud.
according to the member map you're the furthest north, so no need to worry about being a fraud for now.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Folks south of me think I live "up north",
People think we live north as well even though we are south of Toronto, some people don't own a map I guess. We don't have to do the Drive Clean test here so I guess the government thinks we live in the north as well.

There might be roads up there but they aren't connected to places south of there so not an option for a road trip north.

I remember a few years ago having lunch somewhere in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin and the guy next to me at the counter couldn't believe that I lived way south of him coming from Ontario, to him Ontario was up north.

Gerhard

Bike
2004 ST1300
I don't consider myself being "up north" until I cross into Canada. And not that "southern" part over to the east which is further south than a lot of the US property doesn't count as "up north" by those of us who live in the northland.

Top Bottom