Have I told you how much I love Riding Colorado?

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Hey Chuck, I am thinking that our two new bikes need to meet. Thursdays are usually good for me.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
July 13th

Another one of my Daily rides.

I have not been up to Trail Ridge Rd. in Rocky Mountain National Park in couple of years so today I decided to head for the High Country. The entrance gate to RMNP is about 90 miles from my front door, and to be able to ride up over Trail Ridge Rd you needs to be at the gate early in the summer months, like no later than 7:30 am. Otherwise the tourist will be clogging up the road. You should be headed down or over the top by no later than 09:30. If you are any later your ride will not be as relaxing as you had hoped for. With that thought in mind I headed out the garage at 05:45 and was showing my Golden Access Passport Pass to the very pretty young Ranger Lady at the entrance gate.
I took Tower road to 120th and then got on E470 toll road, our Denver by pass. It spit me out on I-25 North of the City and within about 20min I was getting off at the Lyons exit. Headed into Lyons and had to make a decision. Do I ride ST. Vrain Canyon (Highway 7 ) up to Peak To Peak or take Highway 36 along the Little Thompson River in to Estes Park. I chose 36 for time purposes as I needed to be at the gate by 0730. Figured I would ride St. Vrain later in the day. After exchanging pleasantries with the Pretty Young Ranger Lady I headed up Trail Ridge. It was great, no traffic, only had to pass a couple of early birds tourist on the way up. Temps dropped significantly, forcing me to don my jacket liner. Never ride in the High Country without the having some extra layers along. I had forgotten how pretty it is at that altitude, above the Tree Line. (12500ft)
Took my pictures, talked to the a few tourists that were up that early, and then headed down back to Estes Park. Chose to head down Devils Gulch to Glenn Haven General Store for a Cinnamon Roll, that they are famous for. https://www.facebook.com/glenhavengeneralstore The little town of Glenn Haven has made a nice comeback from the floods of 2013. The Town Hall was completely destroyed and the wreckage was pushed into the General Store. Both have been rebuilt and the store is looking very good. Continued on down Devils Gulch to Drake where the road meets up with 36 and descended down along the Big Thomson River thru the Big Thomson Canyon. Turned south just west of Loveland and took the back ranch roads to Carter Lake for a short ride around the lake before headed back into Lyons.
Now I have the chance to ride Highway 7 up ST Vrain Canyon. Of all the Canyons along the Front Range I like this one the best. Since the floods the road has been redone and it is one of the best Motorcycle roads around. 14 miles of sheer motorcycle bliss. (If there is no traffic). Only had a couple of cars in front of me and the Sport Mode of the FJR made short work of them. The Canyon is great, Starts out with some High Speed Sweepers and as the Canyon narrows and rises in elevation the turns get tighter and sharper. Love it. 7 meets up with 72 and continues along the top as Peak to Peak Highway. I turned south on to 72 and headed to Nederland, Home of the frozen dead guy. https://www.legendsofamerica.com/co-frozendeadguy/
. Nederland is a bit strange to say the least (a bunch of hippies) but it has a neat little FuFu coffee place called the Train Cars. http://www.thetraincarscoffee.com/
. I did not stop today or take any pictures in Nederland as it was too crowded with tourist. Headed on to Golden Gate Canyon and on down into Golden. This Canyon is normally a great ride except for today. Too Crowned with lots of traffic all going 15 mph under the 35mph speed limit. No place to safely pass so I had to suck it up and just try and relax. Then on Across the Mad House Called Denver on to home. All in all a great 300 mile ride.

https://www.google.com/…/data=!4m79!4m78!1m15!1m1!1s0x876c5…

Attachments

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
July 19.

A little bit of adventure touring with my Mini Adventure Bike. Versys 300X

A couple of days ago I installed some new 50/50 tires on my little Versys 300x. Now maybe I can hit the dirt and feel a bit more confident that the bike won't slide out from under me. I am too old to fall down anymore when riding on the dirt forest service roads. To scrub the tires in and get the feel of how well they are going to work I took a short 150 mile loop into the foot hill south west of Denver.
Got going around 07:00 yesterday morning after having my morning coffee, and daily banana. Headed out on my normal route across town, riding south of the city. Rode over to Castle Pines , on to Sedalia, over the top of Rampart Range, down the hill to Spruce Wood , and then hit Night Hawk Canyon to the South Platte River on to Deckers. Time for another cup of coffee and waited a bit to see if anyone else was going to join me in my small adventure. After a bit I headed off on my own to ride up to Wellington Lake. This is a private lake and they charge a fee to do any kind of recreation on the property, but the trail does take you right by it.
Started up Forest Service Road 560, Wigmam Creek Road, which, at the top of the hill overlooks Cheesman Lake. Apparently this lake is closed now to the public as there was a closed gate on the road leading down to it. A little farther down FS560 I made a right turn and headed to Stoney Pass Rd. 560 traverses thru the Hayman Fire burn area of 2002. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayman_Fire
A real shame. I remember riding thru the area in the middle of a forest. Now all the hills are barren except for the new growth of grasses and bushes. No new trees as of yet and maybe not in my lifetime. On up and over Stoney Pass, which is in a part of the forest that the fire did not reach. Not a very high pass and no spectacular views Just a small FS road that meanders thru the forest, a few grassy meadows, and some pretty aspen groves. Very easy, relaxing riding. The road intersects with FS 543 at Wellington Lake, Here after taking a few pictures I headed back on 543 to 550 and onto pavement, Highway 126 back to Deckers. FS 543 use to allow motor vehicles to go all the way back to Buffalo Creek but now at the intersection of 543 and 550, 543 is block off to motorized vehicles. One has to take 550 which at times get quite crowed with campers along the route. I guess that is the sign of progress, More People, Less Area to roam/ride in. It is too bad that the Forrest Service is forced to limit access to the wilderness, as evidence of our recent fires. Anyway that is another topic of discussion for another time.
It was a great little enjoyable outing to see how my new Mitas E-07 Enduro Trail tires hook up on the dirt. I think I am going to like them and best of all, I did not fall down. Today I have to stay home and do the 4000 mile service on the Little Gray Bike. Enjoy the pictures.

https://www.google.com/…/data=!4m31!4m30!1m5!1m1!1s0x876c89…

Attachments

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Last edited:
Cant believe it has been well over a year since I posted here. I really post most of my riding STuff on my Face Book Page.
The one thing that irks me about FB is ya gotta have a login [to even view stuff].

Don't get me rwong, I'm not some old codger who's anti-technology - I'm a software engineer (and published author x 3) who keeps up with the times, but FB is a medium that's uninspiring.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The one thing that irks me about FB is ya gotta have a login [to even view stuff].

Don't get me rwong, I'm not some old codger who's anti-technology - I'm a software engineer (and published author x 3) who keeps up with the times, but FB is a medium that's uninspiring.
True but I am an old Codger:rofl1::thumb:

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Chuck I should know this place. Is it on Russellville Rd? BTW how the heck are you?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I always love looking at pics of Colorado. They always inspire me and make me want to jump on the bike and "head west."

Chuck and BakerBoy,

If a guy was going to take 5 days or so and ride Colorado, would it be better to "roam" the state (different stop location every night) or base camp out of one central location and go a different route and back every day.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I always love looking at pics of Colorado. They always inspire me and make me want to jump on the bike and "head west."

Chuck and BakerBoy,

If a guy was going to take 5 days or so and ride Colorado, would it be better to "roam" the state (different stop location every night) or base camp out of one central location and go a different route and back every day.
That, my friend, is a personal choice. I would plan two 5 day trips. First 5 days to roam and scope out different areas. And then 2nd to come back and explore a choice specific area. Maybe even come back with a mid size dual sport and check out the back country, dirt roads and trails. Here are a few pictures on what to expect.SAM_0978 (2).JPGSAM_0979 (2).JPGSAM_0985 (2).JPGSAM_3462.JPGSAM_1464.JPGSAM_1468.JPGSAM_1469.JPGSAM_3085.JPG

Last edited:

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Nice pics, Chuck! Does that mean you won't be moving back to Wichita Falls?

Top Bottom