Willo's Winding Way to Wooli and Weturn

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Ok that's it. I need to move to AUS! Can you hook me up with a VISA? What a gorgeous place! I did get a fright from one of the photos where the sign said "Keep Left". That doesn't work here so I think I could be a menace on your roads. Keep them coming!

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
....... "Keep Left". That doesn't work here so I think I could be a menace on your roads ......
We spent eight weeks last year driving all over the PNW, BC, AB (only got to Banff), and then a big loop down to the Grand Canyon.

Driving on the "right" was okay, except when it wasn't. But that was only twice, once in Portland OR, and then another time in Vancouver, BC - both times when turning right from a side road, and only for an instant. The local drivers were very polite, they advised in not uncertain terms that I was on the wrong side of the road. Biggest problem was judging the lateral clearance to the right-hand kerb (you guys might call it curb) when parking, scuffed the alloy wheels, frequently.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
On then on to a Freesort for the night,
The Freesort was the home of a cousin, Tony, and his wife, Michelle. After a week on the road, cafe, restaurant and takeaway meal, Michelle's home cooked roast lamb, fresh vegetables and home made apple pie was welcomed. Not having seen Tony for five years or more, the beer and BS flowed freely - until we runout, and the we knocked the top off a bottle of Black Jack.

Day 8 - Tinonee to Windsor went something like this:
Day 6 (8).JPG

Packed and ready to ride.:
IMG_3182.JPG

Not many pics today, but we did stop at Dungog, the School of Arts:IMG_3183.JPG

The Royal Hotel:
IMG_3184.JPG

Down the Putty Road towards Sydney. The Putty is one of the great riding roads, sure it can be busy with 60km/h & 80km/h speeds limits and on weekends heavily policed and thus many Aussie riders say the ride is now spoiled, but mid-week, Phil and I were the only riders / vehicles for 80km and we had FUN.

Onto the Hawkesbury Hotel at Windsor (an outer NW suburb of Sydney) for the hight. Problem was the publican had double-booked our rooms, despite me having an email confirmation on my iPhone.

He was helpful though, had an assistant call local hotels and motels to find us another room, and whilst doing this plied us with some draught beers to ease his guilt. Problem with that was, we couldn't have too many because we did not know how far we still had to ride.

To solve that problem, he gave us a couple of travellers, ie. in this case it was two 750ml bottles of Toohey's Old Dark Ale. What a nice guy! There was no problem with that as dark ale is a favourite of mine, not Phil's though, so his problem.

Tooheys.jpg

I did sleep well.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Williamson, you've done it again, no not the beer, another good write up.
Interesting architecture around there, I'm thinking a mix of kind of small town America meets Bournemouth UK.
Keep em' coming.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Day 8 - Windsor to Greenwell Point:

Day 6 (9).JPG

Couldn't avoid some of the AM Sydney peak traffic, took about an hour to get through the suburbs and onto some open roads. Another rider's road up that way is through the Royal National Park. We missed the first entrance, but not the second, speed limited at 60km/h, but no one seemed to take notice. Even though this was a work day, there were a lot of bikes and riders out.

Through the NP, there is a popular lookout point at Stanwell Tops, and some more pic opportunities.
IMG_3185.JPG

If you zoom-in on the above, you will see this:
Sea Bridge Zoom.JPG

Nice scenery no matter which way you look:
IMG_3189.JPGIMG_3192.JPG

Looking back towards Stanwell Tops, and Phil on the GSX 1400, he had to U-turn a few times for this pic:
IMG_3199.JPG

There's the lookout:
Lookout.JPG

We did not see any whales:
IMG_3202.JPG

The Kiama forefathers certainly selected a nice spot for retirement:
IMG_3209.JPG

Then Greenwell Point for the night, the good point for the Greenwell Point Hotel, it was clean, plenty of hot water in the shower and it was cheap - three thing on my priority list, a fourth is a meal. I booked the GPH because our host, Johnno, said they had a meal, but tonight, no one told the cook. Johnno called the Sports Club, they sent a courtesy bus which provided an each way ride.

The meal at the Sports Club was pretty good. Johhno has been forgiven, but not forgotten.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Day 9 - Greenwell Point: to Malacootta

Today went something like this:
Day 9 Greenwell Point to Mallacootta.JPG

Today we hit rain, or it hit us, but just a short shower, enough for us to stop and put on our wet weather gear. That had the desired effect, the rain stopped.

We followed the Pacific Highway (the Pacific) most of the way. Just in case any of you guys from the US or CA get excited, the Pacific is not much like your PCH, sure it follows the coast, but at many times ,because it's so far inland and because of the heavy vegetation, you don't see the coast. When you do see the coast, there are some spectacular views.

We stopped for a few pics, at Narooma (started off in the 1800's as a small fishing village, now it's mainly a tourist spot):
IMG_3214.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3219.JPG

Having trouble with some pics, be back soon.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Here's a couple more pics from Day 9.

We stopped at Central Tilba for a coffee. Central Tibla and Tilba Tilba is an old gold mining district settled in the 1890's. They have seen better days. As with most old gold mining towns, populations and the towns declined. I remember visiting this area around 40 years ago and the town was in ruins.

The locals have found a new gold, tourist gold, and have restored the town very nicely, and with a population of around 290 people (in town and the surrounding area) they riding the crest of a wave. I also think the local Chamber of Commerce puts all local business operators through a training course on how to charge tourists. I'm to tell you that ALL of the business operators in Central Tilba have passed with flying colours.

Whilst waiting we enjoyed the view of the Mighty ST1300, with the Dromedary Hotel in the background.
IMG_3224.JPG

The Mighty ST and the Suzi GSX14.
IMG_3225.JPG

The Main Street (the only street).
IMG_3226.JPG

The Main Street (the only street).
IMG_3229.JPG

An old store.
IMG_3230.JPG

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
More of Day 9.

After Central Tilba we headed for Bermagui, a small fishing town. We stopped at Bermagui for a fish 'n' chips lunch, and a few more pics.

Only a small fishing fleet these days (mostly leisure craft), but whilst the quantity may be low, the quality is high. Phil and I settled into a feed of battered fish and nicely fried chips. Phil couldn't resist a dozen oysters natural, and then another dozen before his fish 'n' chip - guess he likes oysters.
IMG_3231.JPGIMG_3232.JPGIMG_3233.JPGIMG_3234.JPG

Bike
VStrom 650
Williamson, lovely piccies and write up again Cobber.
Nice to see it isn't winter somewhere on this globe.
The light on your photo's reminds me of the ones we had at home from relatives in Tassie. Your daylight is definitely different down under, I know some smart arse will point out it's exactly the same, but I think not.
I'm enjoying your travels, keep em comin.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Day 10 - Mallacoota

Day 10 final.JPG

Today we hit some serious rain for the first 144 km, but with good wet weather gear protecting us we stayed dry. Stopped at Orbost Bakery, whilst enjoying our coffee and a pie, I noticed the rear tyre wear.

6DE892F7-E15D-4D88-BE59-55A5C7DE3E6D_zpsh7esknnj.jpg

FAC00941-0558-4911-A5CE-E98381A64811_zpsgpuw54ex.jpg

These pics, after a new tyre had been fitted, and some words were the subject of some earlier posts in another thread, so enough said of that, apart from, the condition of the tyre preyed on my mind and consumed my thoughts until we got to Lakes Entrance.

Basically, I was concerned on how the tyre would wear for the remaining 400km to home. I figured in the end that I would need a new tyre, so why not fit it and enjoy the remained of my ride. So whilst sitting in a Lake Entry Coffee shop, I Googled motorcycle tyres near me, got a couple of results, made two 'phone calls, made a booking in Bairnsdale for 8:30am the next day. That settled, off to Bruthen for the night.

Bruthen is a regular stop over for some of us, this could be because it's around 350km (via the winding road route), or perhaps it's because it's the home of the Bullant Brewery, https://bullantbrewery.com/, the home of some damn fine ales and beers.

So after setting into the Bruthen Inn Hotel, Phil and I took a short walk to the Bullant, perhaps this was because it was Phi's birthday the next day, perhaps it was because it's the home of some damn fine ales and beers. Methinks the latter as we worked (drank) our way through most of the menu https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://bullantbrewery.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/beerwithbitewinter2018.pdf&hl=en_US.

In the end it was a relatively eary night as I had an 8:30am appointment in Bairnsdale, 30km away.

OP
OP
Williamson
Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Day 11 - Bruthen to St Helena

Day 11 Bruthen to Diamond Creek.JPG

No pics today as I have taken plenty on previous rides, so here's a few (from previous) to give you an idea of the country side I passed through.

<something wrong here, I'll be back soon to post the pics>

But here is an end of ride pic, Phil on my right (looking old, because he is a year older today).

End of Ride.jpg

Happy birthday mate, thanks for the ride.

Cheers, Michael.

Top Bottom