2019 - August Ride

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
After taking a month off in July, I have another long ride planned for August.

On Saturday, I'll head north from Houston for the 1,600 mile ride to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada to celebrate my Mother-in-law's 95th birthday. Kathy and James will fly up from Houston, and our other son, David will fly in from Birmingham, UK.

Concerned about the heat as the forecast is for temperatures in the mid 90s degF for this ride.

After all the celebrations, I'll ride south west back into the US to enjoy the Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway before riding across Yellowstone to West Gate in Idaho. I'll then follow Lewis and Clark up the Bitterroot and over Lolo to the Snake and Columbia Rivers.

Turning westwards in Idaho I'll return to Wyoming and Utah into Colorado to meet up with friends in Grand Junction.

I'll return home over the Million Dollar Highway to Durango and then into New Mexico staying overnight in Lubbock before the final day into Houston.

A bit over 6,000 miles in 24 days. https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1dd445cd6f53221c11&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

I'll try to post updates and pictures as possible during this ride.

Andy >:)

Last edited:
Marvelous! Especially track 5-11 look incredible...enjoy and stay safe!

Andy -

Are you really going to ride 1500 miles in the 1st 2 days?

That was my original plan but I decided to add another day to the trip north so I'll be stopping in Oklahoma and then in Sioux Falls. To avoid the worst of the heat, the goal will be to start at 5:00am and hopefully arrive at the KOA's where I'll be staying by Noon.

First three days of my ride completed successfully and I have crossed the border into Manitoba, Canada at the Pembina - Emerson border point south of Winnipeg.

b5c10953e5e98c94c2d7c666e960c53d.jpg

On Saturday, I left Houston early and rode north up I-45. It was overcast with an occasional drizzle until I reached Dallas where I hit a huge rainstorm. Very scary riding through the city in low visibility with heavy rain and lots of deep water on the freeways. At least three major accidents involving semi trucks and lots more with cars. A pickup truck spun out in front of me as I rode through Denton. Rain dried up at Gardiner and so it was a good ride up to Oklahoma City on I-35. Stayed the first night in a cabin at the KOA in Choctaw.

Sunday I left early again and rode 650 miles up through Wichita, KS to Topeka on I-35 and then on KS 75 into Nebraska. Crossed the Missouri and then went north on I-29 to Sioux Falls to stay in another KOA cabin. Lots of flooding still present south of Council Bluffs.

From Sioux Falls it was only 450 miles north into Canada for at total of 1,600 miles in three days.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1dd445cd6f53221c11&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

KBiK will be parked for the next week as we celebrate Kathy’s Mother’s 95th Birthday.

https://www.texasmorleys.com/2010-20...ust/index.html

After spending a week in Winnipeg celebrating my Mother-in-Law's 95th birthday, I am back on the road again.

Rode 14 miles west in the wrong direction to visit the Longitudinal Centre of Canada

Pleasantly cool at 55 degF but bright sunshine in a clear sky. Headed back west around the south of Winnipeg to join Hwy 2 across Manitoba. Clouds gathered and the temperature dropped. By the time I turned south on Hwy 10 it was raining. Crossed the border back into USA at International Peace Gardens in pouring rain. Even the Border Patrol officer sympathized and said I must be freezing. Stopped in Dunseith to put on my Warm n' Safe heated jacket. Rain continued all the way west on Hwy 5 across North Dakota until I turned south towards Williston. The sun came out and it warmed up quickly to 75 deg F. Stopped for the night at the Best Western in Sidney, Montana after 481 miles in 8 hours.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1dd445cd6f53221c11&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

You are going to pass soooo close to Glacier NP, one of the most beautiful places on earth. Why not?

Because I have been to Glacier and the Going to the Sun Road many times. I used to live in Calgary in the '80s and visiting Waterton/Glacier was a favorite.

I had to limit the extent of my ride this month as Kathy and I are going to the UK for three weeks five days after I return from Colorado.

Retirement is rigorous!

Departed at about 7:15am on a cool 54 degF and overcast morning. Rode down to I-94 and then west. It remained cool with dark clouds which occasionally dropped some light rain.

Turned south on Hwy 47 and was stopped in about 15 miles of road works where the road was completely torn down to gravel.

At Hardin I turned east on I-90 to visit the Little Big Horn Battlefield National Monument. A peaceful place now but with a very troubled history of a cultural collision.

Rode back down I-90 to Billings and then down Hwy 212 to Red Lodge where I checked into a cabin at the KOA at 2:30pm. 397 miles in 8 hours

Great ride today! I met up with my friend, Mike Turley, for breakfast in Red Lodge. We rode up over the Beartooth Pass into Wyoming and on to the summit of Chief Joseph Highway. Beautiful clear and sunny day with pleasantly cool temperatures! Returning west we rode into Yellowstone before going our separate ways at Tower Junction. I rode the Grand Circuit to exit the park at the West Gate where I found another KOA cabin for the night.. 261 miles in 5 hours

More pictures here!

After taking a month off in July, I have another long ride planned for August.

On Saturday, I'll head north from Houston for the 1,600 mile ride to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada to celebrate my Mother-in-law's 95th birthday. Kathy and James will fly up from Houston, and our other son, David will fly in from Birmingham, UK.

Concerned about the heat as the forecast is for temperatures in the mid 90s degF for this ride.

After all the celebrations, I'll ride south west back into the US to enjoy the Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway before riding across Yellowstone to West Gate in Idaho. I'll then follow Lewis and Clark up the Bitterroot and over Lolo to the Snake and Columbia Rivers.

Turning westwards in Idaho I'll return to Wyoming and Utah into Colorado to meet up with friends in Grand Junction.

I'll return home over the Million Dollar Highway to Durango and then into New Mexico staying overnight in Lubbock before the final day into Houston.

A bit over 6,000 miles in 24 days. https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1dd445cd6f53221c11&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

I'll try to post updates and pictures as possible during this ride.

View attachment 242529

Andy >:)
May your road ahead be clear.Tell her I said Hello and Happy Birthday!

Attachments

• USflag-circle.png
    USflag-circle.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom