The Banana Bunch - Old Guys, Little Bikes, Big Hearts

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I participated in a bit of a different kind of ride last weekend. I met up with some friends in the CJMC (Classic Japanese Motorcycle Club) and took a small bike trail ride through the Gold Country and into the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Picture 17 riders mostly in their sixties and seventies riding old Honda CT90's, Ct110,s old Hodakas, Kawasaki Bushwackers etc. and going on a 90+mile ride on old jeep trails through old mining camps and winding through small roads through Columbia, Twain Harte, etc. About 50 miles on dirt, and the rest on old paved back roads.
It was quite a sight as we came down through main street of Columbia - I was thinking of "The Wild Bunch", as we roared into town, followed by a cloud of two-stroke smoke from the Yamahas, Hodakas and Kawasakis, but truly we were more like, "The Banana Bunch". I can't remember when I've had so much fun - I felt like I was 12 again, some 50 plus years ago, and going riding on my S-90 Honda with my buddies. Yes - we looked ridiculous - no we did not care - and we were waved at, and honked at, everywhere we went. We had a total blast - I can't remember ever laughing so hard. We rode almost 10 hours, covered over 90 miles, and I burned about 1 gallon of fuel!! We all made it, though the Hodaka tended to foul spark plugs at higher altitude. (he had a pocket full of plugs with him LOL). The only casualty was the chase vehicle, (1971 Toyota Land Cruiser) that lost the hydraulic clutch cylinder, that we repaired temporarily using two stroke oil for fluid!!

I can't wait to take the Honda Ct110 out again!!

Dan

Attachments

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Looking good there Dan...thanks for sharing the pictures.
I was gifted a 2014 Honda CRF250L for whispering a ST1300 for a kid before his cross country trip back east to go home after college.
He arrived in Arizona via greyhound bus, purchased the CRFL brand new, kept it 4 years, and picked up a used 06 ST to ride back home to his parents somewhere on the East coast.
Took me about a week to completely go through the ST's brakes, clutch, wheels, leaks and such.
When finished it was like new. Kid was very happy and handed me the title of his little honda as payment.
I've already got 8,000 miles on it!
Having a blast exploring mines, ghost towns, and dirt trails here in the desert. Only wish the fuel tank was bigger than 2 gallons. :rofl1:
Last week I took it up the service road to Mount Lemmon to over 8,000 ft. alt.
The next day I rode it up to Globe, and around the Superstition mountains.
My only fear/concern so far is getting a flat in the middle of nowhere and having to pull out the tire tires and repair it in the middle of a cactus patch :doh1:
I love going far on small bikes!
Again, thanks for sharing.
Larry

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Hi Larry
When my three son's were younger we would often take our dirt bikes out to the desert and camped near Jawbone Canyon and Randsburg on the Eastern slopes of the Sierras and out into the Mojave, into Nevada. We explored so many areas, old mines, grave sites etc. It was a lot of fun. We found one old mine up a large gulch that was abandoned sometime in the late 1940's that the owners literally just picked up and left - everything was still intact, equipment, canned food on the shelves even old trucks and a Catapillar tractor. All weathered but all just as they had left it. Really something. Fixed many a flat tire out there - always carried spare tubes and patches. I also always carry a GPS tracker with me, just in case. Watch for old mine shafts - it's easy to ride right into them.

Dan

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Excellent! I've never rode around the Old Gold Country on any of the ole dirt roads, But I've ridden around there plenty! The SabMag group use to have a ride every May, and my brother and I met up with them from 2001 thru 2007 and then again in 2013, 14 & 2016.

Great country side for for riding! :hat3:

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Sounds like OP re-discovered what riding is all about.....having fun!!!
:headbang:

Didn't take 100+ hp and 700 miles/day to do it either.

Top Bottom