Escaping from Italy into Africa…

It has gone into graceful decline, it ain't the Radisson Blu, but it's safe, clean, and pleasant - so I have a lot to be grateful for.
Sounds a bit like our ST11s! ;)

Best of luck with your situation Michael, although considering the alternatives, you have it quite good compared to many.

"Go inside or we'll shoot".
I've just remembered why it's a long while since I've been in North Africa.
Although it'd probably be more safe if they gave the robot the gun.
Be safe Michael and beware of robot's.
Although it's probably the elderly French that will kill you in the stampede for the buffet, the French aren't the queueing type.
Upt'North.

Glad to hear you're safe, and very happy with the Tunisian response to the pandemic. I think only Taiwan have similarly got things right, so far.

I like the bit about impounding cars and licences. The equivalent here is that if caught taking 'unnecessary' journeys, you get a £30 fine.

North Wales police have said they'll be stopping caravans & motor homes on key routes, turning them around & giving them a fine to take home with them. I'd be happy if they impounded the vehicles & made the idiots walk home.

"Return home or we will shoot"
Can we borrow the robot please, and translate to English?

One chap (from Stockport I think), went for a walk up mount Snowdon to take pics. He had to be rescued, with the obvious risks to the rescuers. While being rescued, not even when he was back at a lower level, he asks them "which mountain do you recommend I climb tomorrow?" :box1:

Just catching up Michael - I have been busy with my 12 students who are still working in Germany.

You’re doing well it seems and are in a safe and wisely run place. Your tale of Monrovia is familiar to me as I was in the oil industry (Schlumberger Wireline) in Warri and Port Harcourt Nigeria in 1981-82. Things can get crazy quite rapidly when a government isn’t strongly in control.

Anyhow - please keep us posted and stay safe. You’re not as pretty as Noraly “Itchy Boots”, :biggrin: but you have a lot of friends and fans here.

Cheers,

Pete

"Go inside or we'll shoot".
I've just remembered why it's a long while since I've been in North Africa.
Although it'd probably be more safe if they gave the robot the gun.
Be safe Michael and beware of robot's.
Although it's probably the elderly French that will kill you in the stampede for the buffet, the French aren't the queueing type.
Upt'North.

I've known a few French queens.

I've attached the facebook link to the video of the Tunisian police robot on the streets of Tunis. Not sure if it will open correctly as she sent me it through messenger
Where is the .50 cal machine gun? I would think the way you battle a robot is with a (salt) water cannon. Or hose.

Hi @Michael! Any news from sunny Tunis? I wonder if you warm up the bike in the morning or it is locked somewhere?

I escaped Tunisia on Friday on a flight to Montreal, Canada, and I am now back at home in Toronto.

Canada imposes a 14 day quarantine on citizens returning from abroad - this means I cannot leave my house, except to sit in the back yard, for 14 days.

I am very grateful to be home. I think that flight Friday was the last one, and I also think that if I had not got on it, I would have been stuck in Africa until at least the fall.

I made a post here about the ride north from Djerba to Tunis the day before the flight - it was certainly a unique experience.

Michael

Glad you are back home MIchael. How was the "paperwork" getting to leave your bike there? Also, I recall you mentioning you were the only Canadian tourist in Tunisia. Who else was on the flight out or were you able to get a flight to somewhere else and connect to one coming to Canada?

Top Bottom