Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Old Tag: Nuke Plant

I don't have a nuke plant, but I do have the radioactive uranium that that is hidden under all the concrete. Some of the Manhattan Project material came from here. There is no way to enter the mine and recommendations are to spend less than an hour without protective gear and a monitor badge. The crazy part is that when they were starting the pit the locals used a lot of the gravel pilings to form driveways and access roads to local property.... all still emitting radiation to this day... including the road in and out!

At the height of production over 500 employees worked here. Many went home with green speckles of uranium on their clothes exposing their families to it as well. Understandably, there has been a lot of health issues associated with mine activity.

DSCN6975.JPG

MidnightMinePit.JPG

DSCN6972.JPG

It isn't the speed limit that you need to worry about. It is bullet point Number 3 that may make you pause...

DSCN6973.JPG

The site was shut down in 1981 and has been in constant clean up ever since. They used to treat water on site and dump it into Blue Creek, which eventually emptied into the Columbia River. However, elevated levels of radiation has stopped that practice and no one (that knows) uses any of this land for outdoor activity any longer.

DSCN6978.JPG

Current status is a Superfund Clean Up Site and will be ongoing for the foreseeable future. In the meantime, they truck the water past the creek and still dump it in the Columbia River.

NEW TAG: A Glorious Sweeper (Left or Right... your choice)

DSCN6985.JPG

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
And you didn't stop by...????? T
Old Tag: Nuke Plant

I don't have a nuke plant, but I do have the radioactive uranium that that is hidden under all the concrete. Some of the Manhattan Project material came from here. There is no way to enter the mine and recommendations are to spend less than an hour without protective gear and a monitor badge. The crazy part is that when they were starting the pit the locals used a lot of the gravel pilings to form driveways and access roads to local property.... all still emitting radiation to this day... including the road in and out!

At the height of production over 500 employees worked here. Many went home with green speckles of uranium on their clothes exposing their families to it as well. Understandably, there has been a lot of health issues associated with mine activity.

DSCN6975.JPG

MidnightMinePit.JPG

DSCN6972.JPG

It isn't the speed limit that you need to worry about. It is bullet point Number 3 that may make you pause...

DSCN6973.JPG

The site was shut down in 1981 and has been in constant clean up ever since. They used to treat water on site and dump it into Blue Creek, which eventually emptied into the Columbia River. However, elevated levels of radiation has stopped that practice and no one (that knows) uses any of this land for outdoor activity any longer.

DSCN6978.JPG

Current status is a Superfund Clean Up Site and will be ongoing for the foreseeable future. In the meantime, they truck the water past the creek and still dump it in the Columbia River.

NEW TAG: A Glorious Sweeper (Left or Right... your choice)

DSCN6985.JPG

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry Sir. I was on a pretty strict time limit and pulled into the garage as the dinner plates were being filled. :spsmile:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Old: Animal Shelter

SCRAPS.jpg

...with an October flavor....
New: Cemetery

Evergreen Cemetery.jpg

This cemetery is noteworthy because it holds the graves of some Civil War Soldiers of the Grand Army Of The Republic. The land was initially set aside by the Hillyard Masonic Lodge in 1910, although some burials had ocurred in 1909. The area reserved for the Civil War Veterans had an monument honoring their sacrifice erected in 1914.

It was lost to time for decades until George and Lea Kokstis found and renovated the site in 1989.

There are veterans from the Spanish-American War, Civil War, World War I, World War II, US-Korean War, and Vietnam laid to rest here.,

Last edited:
Grab

20201009_090839-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20201009-091406_Brave-02.jpeg
Although a "family" cemetery, it is recognized by the Texas State Historical Commission ... about 110 graves here, dating back to 1855.

New ... RV park

20201009_090548-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Grab “something Masonic”

2C485337-62A9-4111-9CAA-57D5A03A7EB8.jpeg
Harmony No.370 Masonic Lodge of Philipsville, Ontario circa 1874.
Nice Masonic Building... but I don't see a drop???

The "tag" portion of the game is to tag (grab) the last item and then leave (drop) a new item for others to "grab" in their location. You generally don't want to make something so specific that you can't find it in most towns. But, you'll want to make it interesting too. I generally pick something with some history but drop my tag in a manner that others can grab it.

Example: You grabbed "something Masonic" from a guy that dropped it after he grabbed "RV's", "RV's was left by a guy that grabbed "Cemetery", that was left by a guy that grabbed "Animal Rescue. Easy ones are fire dept, police dept, schools, airport, etc, etc.

Got time to leave it at something? Looking foward to it!

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
K. Was going to fix my blunder but looks like someone beat me to it. Thanks @Dale_I for the lesson and the polite manner in which you put it.
Everyone is new to the game sometime. I've grabbed and not dropped.

However, being Bruce'd is no disgrace. It's a club!

Top Bottom