The Sudberry event

In 2000 I rode my ST 1100 through Sudberry Canada on the TransCanada highway. I stopped for gas and when I got back on the highway there was a cut with exposed rock in it right in front of me. I noticed it was all distorted and fractured. I said to myself “something happened along time ago here I wonder what it was.“

When I got home I googled Sudberry event. It turns out 2 billion years ago a meteor hit the Sudberry area and left a crater 200 miles in diameter. That’s what the fractured rock was. I wanted to stop and get a sample but couldn’t because traffic was not allowing it. There are huge nickel deposits in Sudberry or were I think they’ve mind them all now.

Perhaps they came from the Meteor.

Anyway if you’re in the Sudberry area and you notice the rock stop and get a piece!

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yeah, There are a lot of metals that were deposited by meteors. Including the precious metal iridium used to make our long lasting spark plugs.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Sudbury has changed a lot over the last few years . When we were young a weekend trip was up to Tobermory and across the ferry traveling to near Sudbury . Landscape was barren of all vegetation as the mineral deposits from mining were just left on top . toxic stuff for plants , last few years they have regrown vegetation and the area is really a pleasant place to see .

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Having grown up in Sudbury, and survived, I know the area rather well. They are still mining ore and processing it. As gmtech94 noted the landscape has changed. The university had an impact promoting tree planting, as well as other vegetation. The area is also known for kettle lakes from the meteors. The Apollo moon project did practice exercises there near Coniston 15km east of Sudbury on Hwy 17. It was a logging town until Nickel and copper were found. The smelting of the ore is what destroyed the vegetation, the sulfur just burned the greenery. It wasn’t pretty. INCO and Falconbridge mining companies created a lot of pollution which in turn resulted in acid rain.
Our homes would shake at the end of shifts as they blasted the rock. Mining tunnels are miles long and miles deep.
It is quite the place, and I would visit the area a few times a year as I have many friends who still reside there.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Was in Sudbury 40 years ago for a few days. Went down 1,200 feet on a mine tour, lonely and very dark. Revisited just this past summer.

Stompin' Tom Connors' "Sudbury Saturday Night" ...........

Bike
2010 ST1300
Good thing I wasn't around when that event happened. Might have gotten flash burn from the meteor. Or worse.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
The funniest thing about Sudbury was on the road south to Toronto. At about breakfast distance there was a little motel with a cafe. The food was great and the entertainment was awesome. There was a couple having breakfast who were kind of trapped in the 70's. He said he grew his own......let's call them tomatoes. There might be some cops listening. Did you know that it's hard to eat when you can't stop laughing.

OP
OP
Funny but there’s lots of metals in Sudberry crater, but in the Arizona crater they tried mining for metal and didn’t find any. That was maybe 100 years ago.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Funny but there’s lots of metals in Sudbury crater, but in the Arizona crater they tried mining for metal and didn’t find any. That was maybe 100 years ago.
Knowing nothing more about either one than what's reported here, I'd guess that the Sudbury event was likely caused by an iron/nickel meteorite where the AZ crater may have been caused by a stony meteorite.

OP
OP
Yes and the Sudberry event was many times larger the crater left was 200 miles in diameter where is the Arizona crater is only a mile or two

Top Bottom