Morning Run to Morrow Mountain

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
Well I had another opportunity this morning to get out on the ST11 and do a little exploring of the countryside south of me. It was an incredibly beautiful day and I had a great time exploring some new areas and taking in some new views.

I wish I could capture more if the ride itself, as the rolling hills and pastureland of this area makes for some really fantastic scenery, but alas, eyes are on the road and I'm not trying to make a bunch of extra stops to grab photographs on the side of the road.

The first stop is the day was at Morrow Mountain State Park. These quiet roads are beautiful and slowly meandering through the forest, you feel somehow transported back to simpler times...

20210418_114211.jpg

If you follow that road to the end, you'll wind up at the top of Morrow Mountain and a nice scenic overlook. This land was populated by native americans for thousands of years before Europeans ever set foot on our shores...

20210418_111832.jpg

20210418_112752.jpg

Of course I had to stop and have a cup of coffee while I watched the clouds play tricks with their shadows on the valley below.

20210418_113114.jpg

I decided to hit the road again when a group of about 10 corvettes arrived and I knew that parking was about to get interesting. No matter. My rides are about getting away from people, not getting in the way of them. So I hopped back on the bike and headed for the next leg of my journey.

This section was much more rural and I'm getting a bit more comfortable with both the bike and being back on 2 wheels. I really enjoyed this section of road as it was much more isolated and the roads wound and dipped through the surrounding mountains, farms, and wildlife refuges.

I stopped for a quick snack beside the Pee Dee River. I love any body of water, but rivers especially so. Something about their persistence and the fact that no two are the same. I sat by the banks and ate and listened to the soft gurgling of the water as it flowed by at a deceptively fast rate... A good metaphor for life, really... Ever passing, usually faster than you can take notice of, until you change your perspective and see the water (and years) racing past without hesitation... Ah well, so much for philosophizing. But it is Sunday morning after all :think1:

20210418_123025.jpg

20210418_123121.jpg

By now it was getting on in the morning and I told my wife I'd be home in time for lunch, so I made a bee line to the house. Doing 80 on the freeway isn't nearly as enjoyable as doing 50 through the country... But, when you tell your wife you'll be home at a certain time, it behooves one to make it there on time...

For today's ride I tried planning a route and using my phone as my GPS with a new app. It worked out well and the new Ram mount did a great job keeping everything in place. My only complaint would be it sucked my battery from 95% to about 20% in a out 4 hours. Not really that bad actually, but it wouldn't do for a really long all day ride. But it'll do for now and for being a free program, I did appreciate the features.

Screenshot_20210418-152040_calimoto.jpg

Thanks for reading! See you on the road.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing.

I wish I could capture more if the ride itself, as the rolling hills and pastureland of this area makes for some really fantastic scenery, but alas, eyes are on the road and I'm not trying to make a bunch of extra stops to grab photographs on the side of the road.
@UnclePhil has a great solution to this dilemma: a cheap digital camera hanging on a lanyard around your neck. You can take quick photos one-handed without having to stop or take your eyes off the road.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Nice report! I'm seeing a lot of familiar scenery and destinations on your reports (this and the previous one).

Top Bottom