Slow Pokin' The Southeast

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
A few years back when I owned a couple of different motorcycles, I enjoyed keeping an online log of my various travels all in one place so I could go back and reminisce on my adventures. I figure now is as good a time as any to continue the record...

Since I bought my ST1100 I have ridden a thousand or so miles around my home on semi-weekly trips. This past week, my wife and children visited her best friend from college in Canton Georgia. I had to work the first half of the week, so they left on Monday and I was slated to join them later on. Little did we know that a cyber attack would affect the fuel supply of the entire southeast... fortunately she made it down before things got crazy. But by the time I was finished with work on Thursday, things were dicey at best. I decided to risk it in order not to sit at home by myself during the vacation days I had allotted for the trip, and so I set out, having filled up my tank with fuel I'd set aside a couple of months prior to run the generator when an ice storm was in the forecast. Thankfully the ST11 doesn't crave the higher octane premium fuel of some other modern bikes and it didn't so much as hiccup on the way there. I was able to find fuel about half way and fill up, although I could have made it a lot further, I didn't want to push my luck...

On the return trip, I decided to take the scenic route through the mountains of Western North Carolina. I departed Georgia at about 10am. My first stop took me through Murphy and then Andrews, NC, and then through the Nantahala River Gorge. I was a white water rafting guide on the Nantahala river when I was in college, and it's always a great time riding along those icy waters. I'd been riding for a couple of hours, so I stopped for a moment at the base of the gorge at the Nantahala Outdoor Center, the NOC. When I was in college and working for a competing rafting company, we not so lovingly referred to the NOC as the Nazis On Commission, as their employees behaved as if they owned the river and the world owed them favor... But alas, that was a long time ago, and the NOC proved their ability to adapt and keep up with expanding interests, whereas the company I worked for is no longer there at all...

20210517_120751.jpg

From There I set my course for the highest peak East of the Mississippi -- Mount Mitchell, NC, via the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have a sort of habit... Anytime I'm in the vicinity, I make it a point to get to the top of Mt Mitchell. It's been years since I've been on two wheels, so I had forgotten just how frustrating the Parkway can be. Let me tell you... Stuck behind a little sedan going 10-15 miles per hour UNDER the speed limit is maddening when there are so many curves ahead... I tried to remain patient and wait for passing lanes and scenic over looks for all the cars to get out of my way so I could get about my business of properly enjoying the twisties. I ate my lunch at the top of the mountain, at the lookout. The elevation here is 6684 feet. Not very impressive by Western standards, but something to take note of this far East...

20210517_133346.jpg

20210517_142846.jpg

20210517_143806.jpg

After enjoying a break on the mountain top, it was time to head home. I very much enjoyed the trip from Mt Mitchell back to I-40 via US 80. If you've never ridden HWY 80 from Marion to the Parkway, you need to. Apparently the road has a reputation. It's known as "The Devil's Whip". Just google it. It's a great ride, but be on your toes, as there are some tight switchbacks and the steep elevation change adds a different set of challenges to your average curvy road...

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.52.04 PM.png

Afterwards it was unfortunately all Highway towards home... I hit a serious slow down due to road construction just past Mocksville... After waiting for what felt like forever for things to get going, I decided to exit the interstate in favor of the back roads.

20210517_175402.jpg

I made it home, after almost 9 hours (including stops) on the road and over 400 miles on the road. I don't deny it was a long day...

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 7.58.05 PM.png

Rather than pausing for fast food, I stopped at the grocery store for some dinner supplies along the way. My wife and kids are still in Georgia, and will be on their way home tomorrow. But since I'm by myself, a good meal was in order... Reverse seared ribeye, potatoes, onion, and zucchini were on the menu, along with a tall pour of scotch and a good smoke.

20210517_203158.jpg

20210517_212050.jpg

Glad to be home... Some things about the trip to reflect on... Some things I would definitely do differently and some mods to the bike I'd like to make... But all in all it was a great day and I'm very happy to have the opportunity to be back on two wheels.

Until next time, thanks for reading!

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
Thanks all! It was a great time.

So reverse sear is super easy and 100% worth the effort. Basically, you set your oven to about 200 degrees, put your steak in on a backing sheet and put it in. I have a probe style thermometer that I use with my smoker, so I stick that in the steak so I can keep an eye on it. If you enjoy your steak as you should (i.e. medium rare), you're aiming for about 120 degrees internal temp. If its a really think steak, maybe more like 125-130. Get a cast iron skillet screaming hot, or if you have a fancy smanchy outdoor griddle like me, get it as hot as you can. When your steak hits the appropriate temp in the oven, remove it, melt a nice dollop of good butter (Kerrygold is best) and throw the steak on the hot as hades skillet. Let it sit for a minute to 90 seconds or so, flip, let it sit for another minute or so. Remove, loosely tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. The end result is a perfectly cooked TENDER steak. It really is worth the wee bit of extra effort.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Thanks.l'm gonna try it this week- end with an 1-1/4 in thick porterhouse to celebrate Victoria Day (also known as May 24).24 beers in a case. Coincidence?

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
Well it's been a couple weeks since I had time for a proper ride. But today we fixed that! I decided yesterday that I was going to head north towards Virginia and some of the great roads that are around Hanging Rock State Park.

I left home around 9:30am. It was only 52 degrees and threatening rain, but I decided to risk it. I was rewarded with open roads and almost zero traffic. I guess the weather kept a lot of folks at home, as I rode for almost 5 hours and saw a total of 3 motorcyclists in the first 4 hours and 30 minutes.

I wish I had stopped to take more pictures, but I was "in the zone" I guess and just didn't want to stop. The first time I really stopped to stretch my legs was two hours into the ride. I was on one of the best roads of the day and unfortunately stuck behind a slow car. With nowhere to safely pass, I decided to stop at.an overlook and walk around rather than stare at his tail lights.

20210530_115349.jpg

While I was waiting, i decided to look for the next place to stop. I found a place called "point lookout" and thought it might be a good place to stop. Following the route guide, I started to wonder if I was going to be dual sporting on the ST!

20210530_120827.jpg

Several miles before my chosen destination, I got to a locked gate.

20210530_121033.jpg

Oh well. I guess I wasn't supposed to stop there after all.

I headed back out onto the back roads of Virginia and about 30 minutes later my phone completely died. So no more photos and no more GPS! No biggie, I knew the general direction I needed to go to get home, so I just picked roads that looked interesting. There were a lot of good ones.

The sun started poking out from behind the clouds and the temps started climbing. I wish I could have stayed out longer, but I had to get back for a family cook out. All in all it was.a great day and the ST did not disappoint. Just such a fun / capable / comfortable bike. It always impresses me just how easy it handles and how effortlessly it eats up miles.

Screenshot_20210530-165419_calimoto.jpg

Until next time!

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Lucky to live where you are. Ride by the seat of your pants til it is time to go home.Want to do that,down there,when it is open.Not bad here,just too many lakes getting in the way.!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
A gate hasn't stopped Noraly yet ...
I was thinking the same...
But it occurred to me, as I watched her unload the luggage from her bike and just barely muscle it through the barely wide- enough opening beside the locked gate, "we could never do that with our STs!"
Another reminder that, all things considered, Savanah IS the perfect bike for Noraly, if ever there was one.

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
Today was a great day for a ride. You could not have asked for a nicer June afternoon to out some miles on the STead. Seriously. High of 77°, partly cloudy skies, 0% chance of rain? Yes please.

So, I decided to shirk work and hit the road. I left the house around 11:30am or so, with no particular destination in mind. I just knew I was heading northwest today, as there are better roads up toward the Virginia line than if I went south.

My after running a couple of errands, I pointed the ST11 north and we enjoyed some open roads on the way to more desirable roads.

The first stop was at an historic site by a river I enjoy fishing. It's a civil war relic, and a super neat piece of local history....

"The Moratock Iron Furnace was built by Nathaniel Moody and John Pepper in 1843 for Moody’s Tunnel Works. The furnace is trapezoidal with a base of 28 square feet, constructed of rough-quarried granite blocks that are unmortared on the exterior. It has three fireplaces and was built up against a bluff so that iron ore could be sent over a bridge from the bluff straight to the top of the furnace. Iron ore and trees for charcoal came from local sources, including Rogers Magnetic Ore Deposits, and were used to make cast and pig iron. The iron was either hammered into bars or poured into casting molds.

During the Civil War, the furnace was operated by Moratock Mining and Manufacturing Company and used to make swords and munitions by the Confederacy, who were cut off from outside sources of iron. Union General George Stoneman came through the area in April 1865 and burned the furnace’s outbuildings, putting operations on hold for a while. The furnace continued to operate intermittently until the 1890s and is one of only a few of North Carolina’s many 19th century iron furnaces that remain."

20210625_131903.jpg

The next stop, and my lunch break, took place at another historical site, but more of a tourist trap... They say it's the single most photographed site on the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. Not one to buck traditions, I took an obligatory photography...

20210625_142334.jpg

I'm always a bit intrigued with the other motorcycles one sees when out and about, but especially on the parkway. At the Mabry Mill gift shop / restaurant I counted 3 gold wings, 1 harley, 1 Indian, 1 Canam, and 2 Moto Guzzis. I watched a fair number of other bikes go by, including a really nice looking old BMW r65ish airhead, and at least one ST13.

I sat under the shade of a tree and ate lunch before deciding it was probably a good time to head home. I was about 2.5 hours away and told my wife I'd be home for dinner.

I plotted one last stop, another scenic place to stop and stretch my legs, drink some water, and just be still in the quiet solitude of nature for a few minutes before getting back on the road. Mayo River State Park fit the bill nicely.

20210625_161753.jpg

There was hardly anyone there, so I enjoyed some refreshments by the pond, and relaxed for a few minutes before deciding it was time to head for the barn.

All in all it was a great time. Squirrel Spur Rd and Va Hwy 8 to the parkway are always a ton of fun, but there are just so many good roads up that way, you really can't go wrong. Just pick a destination and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

All in all, around 220 miles covered. Can't wait to do it again!Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 6.13.09 PM.png

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
Well, my ride from Friday was so enjoyable, I decided to do it (kind of) again today but in reverse, mainly so I could go north bound on 8 instead of south. That is one extremely fun section of road.

I didn't get many pictures, as I only stopped once to stretch my legs.

20210627_114147.jpg

Traffic was thin most of the morning, perhaps because it was threatening to rain just about the entire time. Made it home in time for lunch. Around 220 miles all told.

Screenshot_20210627-144454_Maps.jpg

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
A few years back when I owned a couple of different motorcycles, I enjoyed keeping an online log of my various travels all in one place so I could go back and reminisce on my adventures. I figure now is as good a time as any to continue the record...

Since I bought my ST1100 I have ridden a thousand or so miles around my home on semi-weekly trips. This past week, my wife and children visited her best friend from college in Canton Georgia. I had to work the first half of the week, so they left on Monday and I was slated to join them later on. Little did we know that a cyber attack would affect the fuel supply of the entire southeast... fortunately she made it down before things got crazy. But by the time I was finished with work on Thursday, things were dicey at best. I decided to risk it in order not to sit at home by myself during the vacation days I had allotted for the trip, and so I set out, having filled up my tank with fuel I'd set aside a couple of months prior to run the generator when an ice storm was in the forecast. Thankfully the ST11 doesn't crave the higher octane premium fuel of some other modern bikes and it didn't so much as hiccup on the way there. I was able to find fuel about half way and fill up, although I could have made it a lot further, I didn't want to push my luck...

On the return trip, I decided to take the scenic route through the mountains of Western North Carolina. I departed Georgia at about 10am. My first stop took me through Murphy and then Andrews, NC, and then through the Nantahala River Gorge. I was a white water rafting guide on the Nantahala river when I was in college, and it's always a great time riding along those icy waters. I'd been riding for a couple of hours, so I stopped for a moment at the base of the gorge at the Nantahala Outdoor Center, the NOC. When I was in college and working for a competing rafting company, we not so lovingly referred to the NOC as the Nazis On Commission, as their employees behaved as if they owned the river and the world owed them favor... But alas, that was a long time ago, and the NOC proved their ability to adapt and keep up with expanding interests, whereas the company I worked for is no longer there at all...

20210517_120751.jpg

From There I set my course for the highest peak East of the Mississippi -- Mount Mitchell, NC, via the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have a sort of habit... Anytime I'm in the vicinity, I make it a point to get to the top of Mt Mitchell. It's been years since I've been on two wheels, so I had forgotten just how frustrating the Parkway can be. Let me tell you... Stuck behind a little sedan going 10-15 miles per hour UNDER the speed limit is maddening when there are so many curves ahead... I tried to remain patient and wait for passing lanes and scenic over looks for all the cars to get out of my way so I could get about my business of properly enjoying the twisties. I ate my lunch at the top of the mountain, at the lookout. The elevation here is 6684 feet. Not very impressive by Western standards, but something to take note of this far East...

20210517_133346.jpg

20210517_142846.jpg

20210517_143806.jpg

After enjoying a break on the mountain top, it was time to head home. I very much enjoyed the trip from Mt Mitchell back to I-40 via US 80. If you've never ridden HWY 80 from Marion to the Parkway, you need to. Apparently the road has a reputation. It's known as "The Devil's Whip". Just google it. It's a great ride, but be on your toes, as there are some tight switchbacks and the steep elevation change adds a different set of challenges to your average curvy road...

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.52.04 PM.png

Afterwards it was unfortunately all Highway towards home... I hit a serious slow down due to road construction just past Mocksville... After waiting for what felt like forever for things to get going, I decided to exit the interstate in favor of the back roads.

20210517_175402.jpg

I made it home, after almost 9 hours (including stops) on the road and over 400 miles on the road. I don't deny it was a long day...

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 7.58.05 PM.png

Rather than pausing for fast food, I stopped at the grocery store for some dinner supplies along the way. My wife and kids are still in Georgia, and will be on their way home tomorrow. But since I'm by myself, a good meal was in order... Reverse seared ribeye, potatoes, onion, and zucchini were on the menu, along with a tall pour of scotch and a good smoke.

20210517_203158.jpg

20210517_212050.jpg

Glad to be home... Some things about the trip to reflect on... Some things I would definitely do differently and some mods to the bike I'd like to make... But all in all it was a great day and I'm very happy to have the opportunity to be back on two wheels.

Until next time, thanks for reading!
Excellent job! I hope it was the sun turning your oil light on! If u ever get a chance, try cajun country..

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
Excellent job! I hope it was the sun turning your oil light on! If u ever get a chance, try cajun country..
Actually the oil light (and neutral light if you look closely) are both on because we were at a standstill on the interstate, so I cut the bike off to keep from boiling myself. Where/ what is Cajun Country?

Top Bottom