A road less traveled

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Sometimes you end up in areas the others just don't go for whatever reason. As some of you may know my wife and I full-time RV and haul our motorcycles with us. At this time we are in Idaho doing some volunteer work at Dent Arces Campground about 20 miles from Orofino Idaho. The other day we went for a 200 mile ride and ended up on Old US 95 near White Bird Idaho. We all have seen or been to the NP's and seen great and wondrous things. But this to me explains why we motorcycle.

First pic is of my wife Anita on her BMW F700GS, the second is just a picture of what was there and the third is the location. For this of you that do not know of this road it is a hidden treasure with history of great Indian wars during settlement times in Idaho, Unbelievable area.

Attachments

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
If you're still in the area, take a ride out to Elk City on 14. Great road following the Clearwater River.

Chris

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Yep we've done that a week or so ago. We will be here until the end of July. WE have a lot of roads to ride.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
The Orifino Best Western is one of our favorite hotels, always immaculately clean, motorcycle friendly, awesome motorcycle location, we'll be staying there on our return from WeSTOC

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I'm curious.
@Moto-Charlie and I, were wondering, the other day, if it was possible and what kind of setup could be used for traveling in RV while hauling motorcycles.
Okay since Todd decided to hijack this thread, :nanana1: I will give some quick thoughts. Oh they are my thoughts so they may not be right, but they could be.

First there are a bunch of ways to get setup for RVing with motorcycles. But I think the first question that needs to be answered is How long will I be gone? A week or 2, a month or two, three or four? The longer you are out and about the requirements change. Are you boon docking, do you want any hook ups, do you want free camping, etc? these are import questions because they will help determine what your NEEDS are. NEEDS, not wants. Needs are cheaper than wants. Your idea of RVing may and most likely are different than mine.

Here is how we started and here is where we are at today. I had a 14 seat shuttle bus that was handicap accessible. I gutted it and built it out, but it was really setup for extended stays. No full bath just a composting toilet, no full kitchen but we did have a sink with fresh water and waste water, a queen size bed always ready for usage. Then I built out a 14x7x7 cargo trailer which held two full size bikes and had a shower with hot ware and a full kitchen. This was built out over a few years so it changed a lot over time.

Now I have a 31 foot Class C toy Hauler and I tow a car to boot. I also gutted this one and rebuilt it to fit our needs. Both rigs were setup for being completely off grid, Full solar on the first one, We went 29 days without being pulled in. I have a couple more batteries to buy for the one we have now and this to will be fully off grid ready.

I will say that if you do want to do this make a list on paper, not the computer, and certainly not in your head if it is anything like mine it will be there and then poof it is gone and never to return.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Look at all that snow... Get out of there!
Yea look at it and look how clean the RV and trailer are. Do they really get used or does Todd just go out to visit them when someone is mad at him. Hmmmmm. Yep Todd I am picking on you.

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Thanks for the pictures, I am slowly planning a trip for next summer. Shipping the bike to San Diego and heading North to see Oregon, Washington, Idaho and who knows where else.

Bike
2014 ST1300
Okay since Todd decided to hijack this thread, :nanana1: I will give some quick thoughts. Oh they are my thoughts so they may not be right, but they could be.

First there are a bunch of ways to get setup for RVing with motorcycles. But I think the first question that needs to be answered is How long will I be gone? A week or 2, a month or two, three or four? The longer you are out and about the requirements change. Are you boon docking, do you want any hook ups, do you want free camping, etc? these are import questions because they will help determine what your NEEDS are. NEEDS, not wants. Needs are cheaper than wants. Your idea of RVing may and most likely are different than mine.

Here is how we started and here is where we are at today. I had a 14 seat shuttle bus that was handicap accessible. I gutted it and built it out, but it was really setup for extended stays. No full bath just a composting toilet, no full kitchen but we did have a sink with fresh water and waste water, a queen size bed always ready for usage. Then I built out a 14x7x7 cargo trailer which held two full size bikes and had a shower with hot ware and a full kitchen. This was built out over a few years so it changed a lot over time.

Now I have a 31 foot Class C toy Hauler and I tow a car to boot. I also gutted this one and rebuilt it to fit our needs. Both rigs were setup for being completely off grid, Full solar on the first one, We went 29 days without being pulled in. I have a couple more batteries to buy for the one we have now and this to will be fully off grid ready.

I will say that if you do want to do this make a list on paper, not the computer, and certainly not in your head if it is anything like mine it will be there and then poof it is gone and never to return.
I'd be curious to see pics of you're comfortable sharing

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Yea look at it and look how clean the RV and trailer are. Do they really get used or does Todd just go out to visit them when someone is mad at him. Hmmmmm. Yep Todd I am picking on you.
Oh Thanks Brad...:rofl1:
You have the best equiped set up I have ever seen...much more thought out.
No hyjack here.
And as far as how clean it is. That pic is two years old. Late March, we were packing for AZ. Snow melted a week later. It gets dirty.....but cleaned before bed time...

So Mr. Brad...... You are so close...why are you not joining us for NewSTOC...?? I can set you up...;)

T

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
So Mr. Brad...... You are so close...why are you not joining us for NewSTOC...?? I can set you up...;)

TODD I would love to but unfortunately we are on duty during those dates. We have a 4 day rotating schedule and we start back on the 12th. :confused:

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
The wife and I just finished a 3 night camping trip to Oregon and Washington. Left the RV and packed up the bikes. Now that I have my CPAP power issue squared away we will be doing more of this. Here are a few pictures from Hells Canyon, Idaho Right, Oregon left.

Attachments

Top Bottom