Highway 40 through K-Country

OP
OP
Weaselinsuit
Bike
2014 ST1300
Decided to run the route in reverse today going from the north to the south and back north up through Black Diamond, Millarville and Bragg Creek. Stopped at the Fahr Brewery in Turner Valley and picked up some Rauchbier which is really tasty but hard to find in the City. Didn't get any pics; it was pretty busy and frankly I was having too much fun. The mountain goats were all over the road through K-Country licking the salt off the road, spooky eyed traffic obstructions. One was even kind enough to cool down the road surface in front of me with a strategic squat. Hot as heck though. Kept passing guys coming the other way in t-shirts or singlets or vests.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I'm sure that it was a hot ride today, even at the higher elevations. Probably the smart thing to do is play hooky as you did and avoid all the crowds on the weekends. Over the last few years it has gotten so much busier there in K Country.

Did you get your annual pass?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
What might K Country be?
It is an area on the southern eastern slopes of the Rockies. It is SW of Calgary. The "K" stands for Kananaskis which is what the area is named. Hiway 40 runs through the middle of it. A nice riding loop is from Calgary, through Longview, over to Hiway 40, up to Hiway 1, and back to Calgary. Plenty of places for lunch, picnics, etc and the riding and scenery are great.

OP
OP
Weaselinsuit
Bike
2014 ST1300
I'm sure that it was a hot ride today, even at the higher elevations. Probably the smart thing to do is play hooky as you did and avoid all the crowds on the weekends. Over the last few years it has gotten so much busier there in K Country.

Did you get your annual pass?
It was still 31 degrees through the Highwood Pass. I thought about a pass but I generally don't stop except for a quick pic. But I'll probably end up getting one just in case.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Wow! I just rode Hwy 40 in Utah east of Salt Lake City. It's darn pretty, but this is even a bit better, dare I say.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
A buddy and I went out last Friday. We did not have a lot of time so just went to the summit of the Highwood Pass and back rather than do the full loop. Near the summit we saw a sow grizzly with her three cubs about 100 yards from the road. Pretty neat to see.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
That's a gorgeous Hwy 40 down in K Country! If you are on the Hwy 40 north of Hinton and south of Grande Prairie, there can be similar scenery. Big difference is the roads north are terrible, and the large truck traffic is continually trying to kill you with rocks, mud or unsecure loads, or impatient driver's passing and causing head on collisions or near misses. There is a reason it is labelled Death Highway, second to the Hwy to Ft. Mac. Many of us travel and extra hour to avoid this Hwy 40 while going south. The stress and sanity are worth it I say. Only 358 days until moving south. I will be paroled then as we will be empty nesters.

Top Bottom