Steve3b3 and Zion

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
For you in the coffee threads, you all know that @steve3b3 has been doing a solo tour from Massachusetts, out to Oregon, down the coast of California, then out to Las Vegas. (With lots of stops in between)

I contacted Steve the other night and arranged to meet him in ST George and ride through Zion with him.

Last night I told Steve that Nevada and Utah were an hour difference. That threw me off, because I was expecting him in ST George just before 11am, that was until he texted me when he was leaving his Las Vegas hotel @ 8am, Utah time. And since I had just woken up a few minutes before that, I hurried to get dressed and get the bike ready to go.

I only had 50 miles to go to the Cracker Barrel in ST George, so I made it about 15 minutes before Steve got there. We had a nice breakfast and got to know each other a bit since we have only met through the Coffee Club. After breakfast we rode to a Chevron so Steve could gas up. We tried several times and each time failed to sync our SENAs up, but no dice!

Off we went! Jump on I15 north for about 10 miles to SR9 East. That takes you right to the front gates of Zion (after about 30 minutes of riding. Once in Zion, I had Steve lead, so he could stop to take pictures when he wanted. That worked prefect, since you just stay on 9, all the way through the park. Steve stopped at several spots and took some pictures (I took a couple also)

20210716_Zion.jpg

As we were getting close to the East gate, Steve started talking to a guy about his ride. Then three guys come up on bikes; two newer GWs and a cruiser. And a gal stated asking about directions to get to Kanab, so Steve whipped out his paper map and we helped her out.

We then rode down to where US89 and SR9 @ Mt Carmel, where we stopped and chatted for a short bit. At this point, Steve was heading south, for the north rim of the Grand Canyon, and I was heading north.

BobNSteve.jpeg

Steve-N-Bikes.jpg

It was great meeting Steve and the ride through Zion was perfect, not too hot and not that much traffic.

I'm sure Steve could add more about his adventure south. My adventure north was not short of action!

All the way through Zion, we could see thunder clouds, ugly thunder clouds. And they were where I was heading, north. 22.5 miles north of where Steve and I parted, was my turn off for Cedar City, Hwy 14. I have been across it several time now. I had checked the weather and it looked like I would miss the storm, but I guess it was moving slower than the app figured! As I turned on to SR14, I could see I was going to be in trouble! It was looking really nasty ahead. But, how bad could it be? Maybe a couple of miles of a little rain, right?

Less than 5 miles up from SR14, it started raining on me. Okay, a little rain, big deal! As I got up a little farther, the buckets started coming down, then pea sized hail came crashing down on my hands! Those little suckers HURT! The hail lasted at least 5 miles and let's don't forget the flashes and BOOM! within a couple of seconds! And the temperature dropped down to 50F. (It was in the mid 80's through Zion)

I hit it smack in the middle!o_O

SO, was I smart enough to put on my rain gear? Of course not!

20210716_DirtyBike.jpg

I had cleaned the bike on Wednesday!

By the time I got to Cedar City, I was about 60% dry.

I heard from Steve, he made it down to Page AZ. :)

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
Bob, thanks for the suggestion to see Zion NP, and for taking the time to ride it with me.
It was great meeting you and riding with you.

Zion was impressive!
I worried a bit that I'd ride off the road while ogling the scenery.

I got only a little rain, while existing the Grand Canyon NP.
Your bike was pristine, before the rain.

Steve

Attachments

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
You've got to make Zion a destination.
It's beautiful.
Man! U hit all of my buttons! We travelled so many of the same roads! If u end up in pagosa springs, stop in the neon mallard for a cocktail! My kids own it. Im leaving again in a month to be out there again!
By the way, i went thru that shithole we call vegas so you didnt have to! If u get a chance, hit the mojave dessert. The joshua trees are the best there!

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
Based on those pics, absolutely. The dream is to do a big circle ride, south from Calgary down through to Utah, Nevada, California and back up the coast and home. Sounds like you've had/having and amazing trip.
It HAS been a great trip so far.
I want to see a friend I Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods, and Pikes Peak, and I'll be ready to go home, though.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Bob, thanks for the suggestion to see Zion NP, and for taking the time to ride it with me.
It was great meeting you and riding with you.

Zion was impressive!
I worried a bit that I'd ride off the road while ogling the scenery.

I got only a little rain, while existing the Grand Canyon NP.
Your bike was pristine, before the rain.

Steve
That's a lot of rock. :)

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
We rode HWY SR9 through Zion. There is a piece of Zion that you can only see if to take the tram, which we did not do. Because Steve still had a long ways to go that day, we didn't double back, which gives you a different perspective!

Sure glad your trip is going well! Just don't over do it! ;)

I was able to get the 2012 cleaned up today!

20210719_Clean1.jpg

20210719_Clean2.jpg

Just in case you'll forgot what it did look like! ;)

20210716_DirtyBike.jpg

Top Bottom