My ride to Texas for cheapSToc

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Left home on Sunday about 10 a.m. to ride to the Big Mac to meet up with one of the guys that was going to cheapstoc with me and on to other parts in south west Texas. 39 degrees when I left, it was an uneventful ride to the bridge with little wind crossing the straights. Spent the night at Dave?s place and left in the morning to pick up another rider in reed city, then on to Indiana. This was to be a leisurely ride out so we did a little site seeing along the way. We did hwy 1 in Illinois to the free ferry crossing of the Ohio river into the land between the lakes in Kentucky. Tennessee and Alabama were next along with Mississippi and Arkansas, we rode a couple of sections of the trace, which we had almost all to ourselves. A thundershower between Shreveport into Texas had lots of sky to ground lightning so we pulled off early rather than take a chance. We arrived in Junction in the afternoon of Friday and met some new riders, along with some familiar faces. Saturdays ride was great, a little rain later on in the day but no big deal, stopped at the lone star motorcycle museum and looked at the old iron, the place has some real nice bikes. Dave and I left early Sunday morning for big bend, and Russ headed for home due to a wedding anniversary. Big bend was nice, the river road was great, 300 miles of rain and fog followed, we didn?t stop at Guadalupe due to rain and fog so thick you couldn?t see much over 100 feet. I experienced my first flash flood in Carlsbad, 18 to 20 inches or so flowing down the streets and the cars and trucks blasting through the intersections made for some anxious moments. We took advantage of the weather to cut across Kansas and Nebraska, as there wasn?t any violent weather predicted for a couple of days, as it turned out, the weather reports were right on as we enjoyed sunny skies and mild temperatures. We stopped in at J&P cycles in Alamosa Iowa for a look around, and met one of our riding partners in Menominee, Michigan for a sandwich and he then rode back home with us. Trip miles ridden via my GPS were 5047 in 12 days. I averaged a little over 50mpg for the trip. With the gas prices rising We spent more on gas than on motel rooms splitting the room costs between us. Highest temperature we saw was 93 on the river road, coldest was my ride across the UP to the Big Mac, mostly it was in the 70s and 80s. Dannyk

Attachments

darn the bad luck. I wish I had known your plans. You quite literally rode past my house on route one in southern Illinois. Would have been fun to ride down to the river ferry with you. Oh well. Glad you had a fun and safe ride.
Mark

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Danny, I really am sorry I couldn't make that run and meet you. Sounds like you had a great trip and I know you saw some beautiful down in Big Bend. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll see you at YooperSToc. Mac

Top Bottom