K-Country, Labour Day Weekend

Bike
2014 ST1300
I woke up this morning fairly early and decided that rather than go back to bed on the off chance I might fall back to sleep, I may as well get a ride in while everyone else was asleep. So I was out the door at 7 am on my way to Kananaskis Country, west of Calgary. I got out of the subdivision and realized that the mesh jacket I was wearing based upon the forecast for later temperatures wasn't going to cut it and circled back for a heavier jacket. Also, I hadn't wiped bug guts off the shield the last time I was out so there was that as well. But it sure was a beautiful sunrise:

K1.jpg

Onwards and upwards. I took this next shot just before the exit to K-Country from Highway 1 looking west:

K2.jpg

Barrier Lake, just inside the park entrance:

K3.jpg

Then I just stopped and took pics as they struck me on my ride through. In the past, I have typically driven this route (Highway 40) later in the day on sunny blue skies. But today, I still caught early morning light peeking over the mountains and it was overcast which gave the whole ride a bit of an ethereal quality. It's always a bit of a tossup riding through the mountains; do you ride a bit faster to enjoy the twisties or ride a bit slower to enjoy the scenery. Today, it was slower, in fact I pulled over a couple times to let vehicles pass by me. I had to be careful not to get scenery drunk though and keep at least one eye on the road and what I was doing but it sure was hard today. Enjoy:

K4.jpgK5.jpgK6.jpgK7.jpgK8.jpgK9.jpg

The last shot above is a picture of Nakiska where the downhill was held in the 1988 Winter Olympics that were in Calgary.

K10.jpgK11.jpgK12.jpgK13.jpg

I didn't see any wildlife today, generally you can count on at least seeing some Mountain Goats but all I saw today was cattle. I did notice a couple of the hikes appeared to be closed due to animal warnings, i.e. Grizzly sightings, so maybe that was keeping everyone out of sight.

I got home around 11 so it was a 4 hour ride. Likely would have been quicker if I hadn't stopped to take pics every 200 metres. Had a bit of close call coming out of the last corner from Bragg Creek just before the roundabout that splits off to Calgary or Cochrane. It was a long curve to the left from my point of view, but wide open, i.e. flat farm land on either side with no obstructions. There was a chain of vehicles including a motorhome coming the other way and just as the chain was about to pass me, the last car in line decided to pull out to pass. I managed to make the shoulder but definitely needed a shower and new underwear when I got home. The only small amount of solace is I think he was more scared than I was but yet another lesson of how people don't see motorcycles and will take stupid chances to pass in order to gain an extra 15 seconds travel time to their destination. Maroons.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Or the next traffic light.10 seconds ahead of everyone.Just wave & give the thumbs up.I know i have had it done to me.Usually I just want some visuability from the truck etc ahead of me.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
how people don't see motorcycles and will take stupid chances to pass
First, great shots of what was seemingly for the most part a great ride. Thanks for sharing.

Secondly, I’ve had nothing short of a half dozen close calls such as yours this season. I’ve gotten into the habit to have my finger on the proverbial trigger (high beam switch) to flash in an effort to grab the attention of the potentially offending cager.
On rides, I often purposely watch drivers as they go by and have seen far too many head looking down in their laps at what can only be their Facebook status updates as they buzz by at 90km/hr.
I have recently upgraded my headlights to LEDs and have angled them up. I am determined TO BE SEEN!!!
Mission on every ride is to get back safe.
You accomplished that with minor collateral « drawers » damage. Well done!

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Beautiful country you live in. Thanks for sharing!

Bike
2009 ST1300
Great scenery and great photos, I've never been on the 40 but now I will someday, I've been back and forth to Edmonton via the 1 through Calgary now and then but nearly always through Jasper and last few years only with a Motorhome. I may be riding out to Alberta to meet a friend riding his ZX14 back from Montreal in a couple weeks. I always enjoy the trip, it's always great seeing the Alberta skies and scenery it's a great feeling and I'm looking forward to going on the bike.
Yeah nothing like defensive driving these days, I've had a few of those situations I find myself slowing down more as I approach a line behind a motorhome, especially if there are more than a few cars behind it, having driven one a lot you learn a lot about humans in cars; mine is a C21 with a V10 and it's actually pretty quick. But a couple things are first, people drive as though they resent you. The second thing is, some will do almost anything to get in front of you, a lot of them don't actually want to pass you, they just need to get in front of you and often, slow down. I drive a service van and rack up a lot of miles and almost never encounter this. I consider myself a good defensive driver; signal way ahead, move in a smooth predictable manor, change lanes gradually, perfect visibility in my mirrors, watch the vehicles behind me. I've still had occasions where I've had to react to aggressive tailgaters pulling out to pass nearly sideswipe me and go on to risk getting eveyone into a head on collision. Fortunately I've managed to avoid being three wide so far, but you do get to where you're anticipating debris field avoidance.
Speed seems to be the best defense, whether I'm the motor home or the bike, reduction of speed that is, and early. I get the four way flashers on pretty early, I'm pretty sure it gets most people to look up from their phones.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Got back from my 3:30 am solo Tim Horton Ride to see the news, no sooner said than seen unfortunately, not so far off what's being described on the news right now near golden, sadly one dead and four injured as a pick up pulls out to pass and collides with motorhome.

Attachments

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. Looks & sounds like a wonderful time, except for the new shorts thing. Thanks for not sharing those photos. :)

Top Bottom