A Weekend in West Virginia

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
A few weeks ago I was presented with a dilemma. Like so many others people, due to the current state of world affairs, especially the uptick in C-19 cases, certain plans I had made months in advance were now up in the air, at the mercy of local regulations and mandates, not to mention prudence, responsibility, and a dose of good ol’ fashioned common sense.

To get the full picture, we have to rewind the story, quite a long ways actually. You see, 21 years ago, I had not the means, nor the ability to travel from my home in North Carolina to a multi-day music festival in Birmingham Alabama. I was a teenager at the time and this 3 day event was set to be unparalleled for the music I was into at the time. Bands from all over the country, and a few from around the globe, were going to descend upon thousands of concert goers for 72 hours of music and mayhem. But I was just barely 16 years old and couldn’t work out the logistics. So I missed it. And that was that.

Then, in mid 2019, an announcement was made that the organizers of that event in Y2K were going to be putting on much the same event with many of the same bands as they had done 20 years previously, a 20th anniversary of sorts, slated for, you guessed it - 2020. Well. We all know what happened to those best laid plans. Then, one evening in March, I got an email that said the event had been rescheduled for the the last weekend of September, 2021. On a whim, I bought tickets. I’m a grown up now! I have the means, the ability, and the time to get myself down there for 3 days to recover a missed opportunity of youth!

Then Delta happened… My Brother-in-Law took his family to Disney, and, you guessed it, came back with the ‘rona. He gave it to my sister, and they both were touch and go, in and out of the ER, fighting off pneumonia and all the other particularly nasty effects of this latest go-round.

You might say I was a bit…hesitant. Hesitant to travel out of state to a concert venue and cram myself into crowds of strangers with questionable hygiene. The venue was taking precautions - proof of vax or negative test within 72 hours of the event. It was certainly better than nothing, but was it enough?

In the end I decided that the risk wasn’t worth the reward. My sister and Brother-in-Law had already been sick for weeks, and I really didn't want to join that club. And besides, being in large crowds of people listening to loud music for 3 days straight just isn’t my thing anymore.

So, there I was, staring at a 3 day weekend blocked off on my calendar, and my prior plans out the window. I knew if I sat around the house all weekend, I would kick myself for not going to the festival. But I also knew I was making the right call avoiding tens of thousands of people. What to do what to do…

How about a little motorcycle camping to simultaneously social distance (I hate that term, but there it is, part of our vernacular) and redeem the loss of an otherwise enjoyable weekend? Sign me up! I ran it by my wife; she was happy to tell me to get out of the house for a few days, I was happy to oblige.

I didn’t have hardly any time to plan, so I sat down at my computer and considered which direction I should go.

My mind retraced my route up to Main from the month before: Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, etc… And then I remembered a conversation I had with a BMW rider as we were sitting side by side, stuck in stop-and-go traffic somewhere on I-81 South. He was on his way home from a weekend riding in West Virginia and was extolling to me the rural beauty and ridiculously good riding.

That was it. West Virginia. Country roads, take me home (for a couple nights).

I scanned Google Maps for good roads, and realized you could pretty much throw a dart at a map of WV and hit good roads. So I narrowed down my focus to what would be easily reached in a day without any interstate riding. That put me somewhere in the middle of the state. I quickly located some potential campsites: primitive, dispersed, and most importantly, free. That set my course for the Monongahela National Forest. I now had a destination and a defined region to explore. I quickly packed my things, gave the bike a good once over, and headed to bed.

The next morning, at 8am, I rolled out of the house and hit the road for parts north and unknown.

20210924_084925.jpg

After my first gas stop, I headed northwest to some of my favorite local roads that take you from central North Carolina to Southwestern Virginia. My plan was to stay off the interstate entirely and really enjoy the ride from sunup to sundown.

I started out on the back roads that take you from Greensboro, past Hanging Rock State Park and Pilot Mountain, and then up into Virginia. Half way up one of my favorite roads, there is a wonderful overlook. If you take back roads, it’s about 100 miles from my front door and great place to stop and stretch your legs.

20210924_095716.jpg

I was settling into the ride nicely and knew that I had made the right decision. There’s just nothing quite like twisty back roads on a crisp fall morning, especially on a weekday when traffic is light. For me, the ST11 hums along these roads in a manner that so drama free. It may not be the fastest bike on the block, or the most agile, but for "safe and sane" riding, find 3rd gear, roll off the throttle on the approach, lean in, hit the apex, crank it all the way out, repeat. Sunshine, wind, and the velvety purr of a V4. Such a wonderful way to clear the cobwebs out of one’s head.

From there, my next destination was Marion, VA where I would hop on State Hwy-16, otherwise known as The Back of the Dragon.

Along the way, I stopped at the Historic Shot Tower State Park, as I’d seen it so many times from I-77 but had never taken the time to actually go check it out. There was no one there so no tours that day. But it was still cool to check out something that had been designed so long ago, and was perfectly engineered to make birdshot for black powder shotguns using nothing but gravity and the friction of air. I often ponder how resourceful our ancestors of just a 150 years ago were. If they couldn’t buy it, they’d figure out a way to make it or make do without. How many of the processes and innovations they developed are now lost forever? How long would it take us to figure out how to do things efficiently, the way they did, if we lost modern infrastructure and high speed machines and manufacturing capacity? Scary to think about, really. But I digress…

20210924_104236.jpg

I arrived in Marion at 12:30 and stopped for a bite to eat. Uncle Phil has trained me to know that really, we all just want to look at pictures of food :biggrin:… A philly cheese steak before tackling Hwy 16 was just the ticket!

20210924_122027.jpg

The Back of the Dragon was a lot of fun. Not too technical, not really any pucker factor, if you paced it right. But a solid, exciting ride, and I was glad I planned it in as a part of my route. I continued on through the backwaters and byways of rural West Virginia for many miles, through curious towns with names like “Cucumber”, “Yukon”, and my favorite, “War.” I was truly humbled by what I saw. The abject poverty and economic depression of some of these towns was simply stunning. Towns that had once been the pride of farmers, factory workers, coal miners, and their families, the blue collar everyday folk that made up the backbone of America, now left in various states of disrepair and depression. I say I was humbled because I was sincerely struck by how undeservedly fortunate I am to be here on a motorcycle (a luxury by almost any standard), with the means to take a long weekend and just go out riding for the heck of it, passing so many families that probably are struggling... I hope such towns don't get completely left behind as "progress" marches on.

In the early afternoon, while coming into the town of Welch, WV, I missed my turn and had to double back. I saw a little war memorial and pulled over to stretch my legs and confirm my route. After a few moments analyzing my GPS, I became a bit more aware of my surroundings. I was stopped in front of one of the most unusual and unexpected war memorials I had ever encountered…

20210924_143621.jpg

According to the plaque this tiny box car was part of the French “Merci Train”. I found a website devoted to the history of these fascinating railroad cars scattered about variously in the middle of nowhere America, “The Merci Train was a train of 49 French railroad box cars filled with tens of thousands of gifts of gratitude from at least that many individual French citizens. They were showing their appreciation for the more than 700 American box cars of relief goods sent to them by (primarily) individual Americans in 1948. The Merci Train arrived in New York harbor on February 3rd, 1949 and each of the 48 American states at that time received one of the gift laden box cars. The 49th box car was shared by Washington D.C. and the Territory of Hawaii. Parades and ceremonies of welcome were conducted in the state capitols and major cities of almost all the states. The largest and most attended was in New York City where more than 200,000 people turned out to welcome that state's assigned box car.”

This particular box car was originally gifted to the state of WV and put on display in Morganton, but as the years passed, it was lost (literally and figuratively) from memory, until it was discovered in a farmer’s field -- the wooden components mostly rotten, the iron parts rusted out. It was brought to a nearby trade school and carefully restored in the late 1990s (if memory serves me, I forgot to take a picture of the sign).

These exact rail cars were used to transport troops and equipment in both WWI and WWII. The sign on the car indicates it can carry 40 men, or 8 horses. 40 men in that tiny car for hours, or even days on their way to the front… I cannot image. But once again, our ancestors never cease to impress.

From Welch, I continued Northeast through the New River Gorge. Of course I had to stop for the obligatory New River Bridge photograph…

20210924_171257.jpg

At 7:30pm, I arrived at the campsite I’d picked out the evening before. With nothing but a cursory look at Google maps, I really had no idea what to expect. Little did I know that this campsite would be almost 11 miles down a gravel road. It wasn’t exactly what the ST was designed for, but as long as I didn’t get jerky on the throttle and kept her out of the ruts and potholes, it wasn’t too bad. By the time I got to the campsite, I was ready for a break!

20210924_191006.jpg

In the failing light, I hung my hammock and took a few moments to enjoy the serenity of the river flowing by not 10 yards from where I’d be sleeping.

20210924_192328.jpg

20210924_191037.jpg

I didn’t have much time to enjoy any of the scenery, however, as it quickly got dark and I had to make some dinner. Reconstituting freeze dried backpacking meals for the win. Light weight, no prep, no clean up. Perfect for me as a total novice motocamper. The pad thai with chicken was surprisingly good. Or maybe I was just hungry after a 400 mile day on back roads.

20210924_194927.jpg

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to gather any wood for a fire, and everything was soaking wet anyways, as it had rained the day before. So I sat in the dark, smoked a pipe, and let Ted Simon keep me company and inspire me for tomorrow. I rolled into my hammock at about 9pm, turned off my light, and let nature’s noisemaker overwhelm my senses and lull me to sleep under a blanket of stars.

To be continued…

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Very well written ride report, Jeff. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, there's a lot of history in our past.

(Borrowed without permission from a favorite local radio talk show host, Michael Hart.)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Great writing. I wish I could hear the narration with your made-for-radio voice.

WV has been my favorite state for riding. Hope to get back up there soon.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm really disappointed to hear this about I-81, as I used it quite successfully a few years back from GA to CT. Smooth sailing, no traffic to speak of, until we hit Scranton PA. Was in the fall, and it was actually very pleasant in all regards, save for the fact I was driving a big box truck. Even then, I enjoyed the mountain views and wide open hiway.
Many years ago, while stationed in Groton, CT, I didn't know better, and spent too much time on I-95 in both directions.
Of course, there are nicer routes for 2 wheelers like ours, but we made great time.
Wasn't that long ago.
How do I know this?
Because, even at my age I can still remember it.

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
The next morning, I awoke with the sun, around 6:30. Despite the fact that it had dropped into the mid 40s during the night, I was warm and comfortable all night in my hammock. However, the prospect of leaving the sleeping back and getting up was not a welcome one. It was quite cool and being down in a valley, there was a steady breeze. In my haste to leave, I didn’t pack anything warmer than a sweatshirt. So instead of getting up, I curled up in my bag and went back to sleep for another hour and a half. I’m here to tell you, that would NEVER happen during my tent camping days. I would welcome the morning so I could finally get up off the uncomfortable ground. The hammock has revolutionized camping for me. I know, broken record and whatnot…

Once I woke up again around 8am and finally convinced myself to get out of bed, it was time for coffee… I get these little single use pour overs from Academy. I saw a YouTube motorcyclist using them on one of her trips and thought they were just a brilliant solution to coffee on the go. Its definitely better than instant coffee of any sort, though it’s admittedly not the freshest…

Unfortunately, in my haste to pack, I also forgot a mug, or really anything to drink from. No matter. Cut the top off a water bottle and wear my riding gloves to beat the heat of the fresh brew!

20210925_073708.jpg

I didn’t have a particularly long route planned today, because I wanted to leave plenty of time to be free to stop / explore anything that looked interesting. But first, I had to break camp, let the bike warm up, and confirm my route. I didn’t want to do 11 miles back out the same gravel road if I could help it.

20210925_083645.jpg

I threw a leg over at about 8:30am and hit the road, hoping the gravel would end sooner than later and some nice tarmac would present itself. Instead, I was confronted with exactly the opposite. An unexpected (and as far as I could determine, unadvertised) gate blocked my way. I could get around it if I really wanted to, but looking at the sign posted next to it, it was posted at 16 miles to the other gate.

20210925_085117.jpg

That’s a big nope. With no cell signal whatsoever, I was left with no option than to try to figure out a route on the 3” screen of my Garmin. I recognized the name of a town from my planning the day before, and figured it was closer than the way I’d come in to the campsite the night before. I just hoped the gravel road out would be as good or better than the one in… Nothing left to do but roll the dice and go.

20210925_090345.jpg

Although I shaved off 4 miles from going the other way, the 7 miles on this road wasn’t exactly what I would call ‘fun’ on a 700lb road bike. But, we went slowly and cautiously and made it to the other side nonetheless. A second river greeted me. If you know how mountains and rivers work, you can imagine what I’d just went through. Unknowingly, I had gone up and over the mountain that separated the river I slept next to from this river. There were a couple pucker moments, and I was thankful to be back on black top.

20210925_092208.jpg

About 30 minutes later, I arrived in the small town of Webster Springs, WV. I drove through the entire town and didn’t see a single place to eat except for the little local diner I barely noticed on the way in, so I turned around, waved to all the same people a second time, and stopped at a hole in the wall and grabbed the Saturday special. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, and for $4 I wasn't complaining.

20210925_100037.jpg

To further drive home the impression I’d picked up the day before of just how economically depressed these little towns were, 3 gentlemen at the adjacent table were discussing work and life woes. One of them had been evicted from his apartment and had spent a month moving from couch to couch before he eventually decided to stop bothering his friends and family and pitch a tent off in the woods. He was working to save enough money to afford another place to rent, but to make matters worse, his truck had broken down and he didn’t have the $400 the mechanic said it would take to fix. He was left with only an old 4 wheeler to transport himself to work, rain or shine. The other two men wished him well, and both agreed they hoped he could find somewhere to stay long term before it got cold. Once again I was humbled and thankful for all the luxuries I enjoy on a daily basis and determined not to take any of them for granted.

I had gotten a few looks from the locals when I first walked in, decked out in my head to toe riding gear. At least 2 of the patrons had on Harley Davidson T-Shirts on. When I finished eating and walked out to my bike, someone had left a single yellow flower on my seat. I guess they really liked my Honda and were just too shy to tell me.

20210925_095036.jpg

After breakfast, I headed out of town for the back roads around Snowshoe ski resort. I was a ride I will not soon forget… The cool fall air, the excellent roads, the leaves beginning to change colors — everything you could ask for for a day out on 2 wheels.

Around lunch time I found myself in Cass, WV, where apparently they do train rides on historic steam locomotives. I would have gone on one in a heartbeat, but after talking with the folks in the office, the ride was a 4 hour round trip, and it was sold out. Oh well, maybe another time.

The one locomotive was 112 years old, and the other was one of the only small gauge steam engines to still be in active use on the original track/route and in the exact location where it began its life on the rails over 100 years ago. I sat by the side of the road and watched as it left in a plume of coal smoke and steam.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 1.02.29 PM.png

After the train pulled out, I got back on the bike and headed for my next waypoint. But almost immediately I was obliged to pull over once again for an unplanned detour. As I rounded a bend, I noticed a gigantic steel structure out in a field. I had no idea what it might be, but it was huge, and so seemingly out of place, it warranted further attention. Just a mile or two later down the road I saw signs for the Green Bank Observatory. I recalled reading something about it when I was doing what scant research time allowed for this trip. I didn’t know anything about it other than folks seemed to agree that it was worth the visit. I went in, parked, and asked someone who was leaving if it was worth stopping. They enthusiastically said “Yes! It’s amazing.” So I opted to pay the $12 for the tour and went inside.

20210925_143454.jpg

I could wax poetic about all the things they told us, but I’m not smart enough to do that. What I can tell you is it’s taller than the statue of liberty, the receiver dish is almost 3 acres large, the receivers themselves have to be kept cold to reduce interference (and when they say cold, they mean just a few degrees above absolute zero!), it weighs over 17 million pounds, and if you made a phone call from Saturn, it could pick up your cell phone’s signal!

The tour ended around 2:30 and I hit the road again. I rode from Green Bank up to Seneca Rocks area. I wish I had stopped to take more pictures, but the roads were just so good up through here that I was having too much fun to remember to stop. West Virginia was proving to be every bit as good, or better, than the BMW rider on I-81 had led me to believe. I made a meme to reflect my feelings... :rofl1:

Meme.jpeg

That evening, I had another campsite planned that would me right beside another river (well, more of a creek I would soon discover). And once again, I unknowingly had to ride 5 and a half miles down a gravel road before I would arrive at the campsite. Thankfully this road was very well maintained and relatively flat.

20210925_182534.jpg

I decided to put the rain fly on tonight, not for any fear of rain, but to cut down some of the breeze and maybe keep in a little more heat, as it was supposed to get quite cold again that night.

The first order of business, since I had a bit of daylight, was getting the fire ready. I grabbed deadfall and the like until I had a sufficient amount and got everything completely prepped and ready before the sun went down.

20210925_190633.jpg

Dinner was going to be chicken and dumplings. It was actually quite good.

20210925_191434.jpg

Around 8pm, once it was good and dark, and the temperature falling, I lit the fire and prepared to settle in for the evening. After having to sit on the hard ground for multiple nights on my recent trip to Maine, I decided to invest in a collapsible camping chair. I didn’t have to invest much though! $35 on amazon got me a nice little aluminum framed seat that fits easily in the side cases of the ST11. It was light years better than sitting in the cold dirt! I kicked my feet up, enjoyed the fire, and some desert.

20210925_201016.jpg

An hour and a half later, the wood was reduced to a pile of coals. I was honestly surprised it had lasted that long! It had been a wonderful day, and enjoying the fire next to the bubbling creek, under the milky way, miles from anyone was about as perfect an ending to it as one could ask for.

To be continued…

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Enjoying the travelogue.
Tech question: is the fly you pictured part of your hammock, or did you get it separately?
I have an Eno hammock already, but no dedicated fly. Do you have bug netting also?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
Enjoying the travelogue.
Tech question: is the fly you pictured part of your hammock, or did you get it separately?
I have an Eno hammock already, but no dedicated fly. Do you have bug netting also?
Thanks.
Well, I'll preface by saying it was a bit of a splurge, but I have been looking at them for about 5 years, and eventually just said "screw it, you only live once"...

The hammock is a War Bonnet Blackbird XLC. It has an integrated mosquito net that works well. It is also cut different than the Eno. It's asymmetrical with a foot box to reduce pressure on your feet and knees while you sleep. The rain fly is also made by Warbonnet.

I think for the two, I paid right about $400. But honestly, I would pay that again tomorrow if someone said, it was either that or go back to sleeping on the ground.

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
Looks like you must be hitting campsites in the Monongahela National Forest. What's your plan for tomorrow? I'm about 2 hrs northwest of Seneca Rocks in Morgantown. Would love to meet-up for lunch.

John G.

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
There are MNF campsites near Glady, good roads between there, Davis & Parsons. Jordan Run Road N of Seneca Rocks between WV28 and WV42 is a blast too.

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
Looks like you must be hitting campsites in the Monongahela National Forest. What's your plan for tomorrow? I'm about 2 hrs northwest of Seneca Rocks in Morgantown. Would love to meet-up for lunch.

John G.
Unfortunately, this report recounts my trip from 3 weeks ago. Otherwise I would take you up on that!

Bike
2003 ST1300
Horsehead, THAT was an awesome travelogue!!

As a fellow North Carolinian, I've been to some of the spots you mentioned in both NC and VA.
This is a great time of the year for travel and I'm chomping at the bit to go - soon.
I'm not a camper but you make it look like fun!
I've seen the hammocks in videos from "Camping with Steve" on Youtube and they look pretty comfortable.
Please do more.

Also, I'm not familiar with that windscreen farkle? you have - can you advise please?

Last edited:

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Brings me back! Cass is the 1000 places you want to see before you DIE. Loco. Shop, ride to the top of “mountain”.Stay in town in original houses with boardwalk sidewalks .Back in time for $90.00 per night(14 years ago) .Laid back people OH YEAH.

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
Unfortunately, this report recounts my trip from 3 weeks ago. Otherwise I would take you up on that!
Another time then. Think about WV-STOC next year. We haven't firmed up a date yet but will probably be the Wed-Su before or after BRG.

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
Also, I'm not familiar with that windscreen farkle? you have - can you advise please?
Thank you sir! Look out for one more installment in the next few days ...

The windscreen farkle is a Laminar Lip. The previous owner of my Bandit 1200 had one installed and I was immediately sold. It disrupts the air flow coming over the top of your factory screen and dramatically increases the bubble of quiet air in and around your helmet...

When I bought my ST11, I had to ride it home from the seller's house about an hour and fifteen minutes or so. The buffeting was so bad I had a pretty substantial headache by the time I got home. The first thing I bought for this bike was the laminar lip. It's not perhaps the perfect solution, because there is still a very minor bit of buffeting, but I can easily see over it and you still get some fresh air movement, unlike the ungainly tall screens I have seen on some other bikes.

Check them out! It's a good investment, I think.

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
Another time then. Think about WV-STOC next year. We haven't firmed up a date yet but will probably be the Wed-Su before or after BRG.
I would love to join y'all at the WVSTOC next year. I'll keep my eye out for the official thread / dates and try to block off my calendar

Bike
2003 ST1300
The windscreen farkle is a Laminar Lip. The previous owner of my Bandit 1200 had one installed and I was immediately sold. It disrupts the air flow coming over the top of your factory screen and dramatically increases the bubble of quiet air in and around your helmet...

Thank you.

I am driving a National Cycle windscreen on my 1300 and it's not bad but still is tiring.
I have the Honda original and hated it for the buffeting and noise - NOISE.
With their return policy, I may just give this a try!

Attachments

Top Bottom