When did you first ride the Dragon?

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
I haven't been there yet either...some friends and I are planning a trip for this spring/summer:)

H20SKIER

Bob
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Great memories here also.My first ride was a 1972 Honda CB350 when I was 16 I used to drive it back and forth to school until it got so cold I couldn't stand it!!!! Cool pictures!!!!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Way back before it was called the 'Dragon' and the Gap was a run down motel and worn out gas station back in the early 70s.
I remember when Rob Pemberton bought the place (he used to have a ST1100 and stocked ST1100 tires there).
He got a write-up in one of the bike magazines and then it became a 'destination'.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Rode the Dragon on the 1100 while attending the Honda Hoot in Asheville in 1994. Had just left from Foxboro where I watched Greece lose to Argentina 4-0 at the World Cup.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Folks, this is a picture of six of us on our 1970 Honda 350's at the Dragon in 1971 before it was the Dragon. We saw NO other bikes on our entire loop from Cherokee, over to Gatlinburg, down to the Gap and back to Cherokee.
The first is the Deal's Gap store as it was then. That is Katie and me on the gold CB, Bill and Linda behind us on their CL and Johnny to the right beside his CL with Paula.
The second is again in front of the store. That is Paula in the front and me with my back to the camera. Notice the pillows for butt padding and my Easy Rider headband.
The third is where we camped along the Little Tennessee at the western approach to the Dragon.
Sorry for the quality of the photos but they are 35 years old snapshots. Paula also filmed (Betamax didn't come out until 1975) some of the action and she and Johnny had it transferred to DVD last year and we have been enjoying reviewing it.
Very Cool! Here's a quick auto-correct to help with the pics! :c)

Attachments

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
2006. Rented a car to drive to Atlanta to pick up my first ST1100.
Then rode 129 from down in Georgia all the way up through the gap.
I went again on the next ST1100 in 2013 or so and then on a 2000 VFR in 2015.

Folks, this is a picture of six of us on our 1970 Honda 350's at the Dragon in 1971 before it was the Dragon. We saw NO other bikes on our entire loop from Cherokee, over to Gatlinburg, down to the Gap and back to Cherokee.
The first is the Deal's Gap store as it was then. That is Katie and me on the gold CB, Bill and Linda behind us on their CL and Johnny to the right beside his CL with Paula.
The second is again in front of the store. That is Paula in the front and me with my back to the camera. Notice the pillows for butt padding and my Easy Rider headband.
The third is where we camped along the Little Tennessee at the western approach to the Dragon.
Sorry for the quality of the photos but they are 35 years old snapshots. Paula also filmed (Betamax didn't come out until 1975) some of the action and she and Johnny had it transferred to DVD last year and we have been enjoying reviewing it.
I thought at first you were talking about the dragon 'rally' in Wales, Great Britain. I did the first in, I think, 1960 or 61 in the depths of winter, on a 197cc Francis Barnet, from Essex to North Wales. I slept in a tent with no ground sheet or sleeping bag, just laid down on the snow in my riding gear which was lots of layers and not much else! Food? I took the bacon out of the sandwiches that I'd taken with me, heated it up over a fire, put it back in the sandwiches and ate them, that was it till we stopped at transport cafes on the way back: which took 18 hrs in the snow. Those were the days!.... Swede.

Top Bottom