A Whole New Backyard

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
It’s no secret. Pants has ants in his pants. I do, I freely admit it. My biggest fear is that one day, I will wake up and have nothing to do. I’m getting ready to retire, and that means I’ll have more time. But it also means I’ll need to have more things to fill up my time. So, I did something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.

I bought a dual sport.

I picked up a gently used 2020 Suzuki DR650. I researched D/S motorcycles and the DR650 is a very reliable bike with a strong following. I have a couple buddies that own this bike, and they helped me decide that this one is the right one for me.

I’m not interested in crossing roaring rivers, climbing shear vertical cliffs, or qualifying for the Dakar Rally. Rather, I just want to ride some gravel and easy 2-track roads, and eventually, do some back country camping.

So I bought a rear rack for the bike, and threw an old Givi 31L top box I had lying around on it. I bought a Garmin XT GPS and mounted it on the handlebars. I went online and found some gravel roads not too far from my house. And then I woke up and decided – “Let’s go see what’s over there”.

I discovered that there’s a whole new backyard to play in.

I hope you like the pics.

This morning was different. As a long time street rider, suffice it to say that I’ve seen everything around here. Or so I thought. Although there is always some excitement that comes with the anticipation of any ride, usually for me a local motorcycle ride is like the movie Shawshank Redemption: It’s a good movie worth watching, but I’ve seen it quite a few times before. I know that he escapes successfully.

But not today. For this ride, I’m going off the beaten path. On this day, for the first time in a while, I woke up excited with anticipation.

I packed some walking shoes and a lunch and took off after the morning rush hour traffic subsided. I skirted the city riding leisurely on the back roads.

Anywhere I found a gravel road, I would take it just to see where it goes. Turns out this was just someone’s abandoned driveway, but I stopped to take a picture of the Azalea bushes formally declaring that Spring is here.

And then it happened. I hadn’t given this moment much thought before, but I must admit, when I got to where the pavement ended, my fingers started tingling with excitement. Prior to then, for some 200,000 miles, this was the point where I usually turned around. No matter how inviting things looked ahead, I could or should go no further.

But not now. Today, nothing is going to keep me from moving forward.

I got a new GPS for the occasion. A self-prescribed “Tom Tom” man, this time I relented and bought the Garmin. I was having some issues with it and stopped to go through the “Settings” menus. As I scrolled through the map settings, I came upon “Avoid Unpaved Roads”.

Not today, Mr. Garmin.

Now let me be clear. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing with an off-road motorcycle. I’ve got a perfect day for it: great visibility, dry roads, comfortable temperature. So I’m taking my time and practicing techniques.

Whenever I find a road or a trail that I think I can ride, I take it.

I found some mud on this trail and decided to turn around and not risk a fall.

There’s a whole new world to discover where the pavement ends. My whole life, I’ve lived within 30 miles of this, and never knew it existed.

Found a crawfish pond. I suspect they are harvesting right now, but I didn’t see anyone.

The color in these fields is delightful.

This is bayou Portage, near it’s beginning. Here, it’s much smaller and narrower than where I’m used to seeing it.

What a day!

I get to Hwy 190 and turn east. I go about 1 mile and turn right at the first brown sign I see. These gents are dip netting for shad, which are used for crawfish bait.

I had a nice time talking to them.

This is a spillway set up by the Army Corps of Engineers, which dumps water from Bayou Cortableau to Bayou Portage. I’ve never seen water “falling” like this in south Louisiana.

I ate my lunch here and enjoyed listening to the white noise of the water.

After lunch I ran on the gravel back north to Hwy 190 and turned east again. I found a gravel track that led me to this cool place at the Atchafalaya River. I waited a little while to see if a train would come, but it didn’t happen.

Realizing that I have to get to the other side of the swamp, I relented back to the highway and road that about 6-8 miles. The DR 650 handles highway speeds just fine.

On the east side of the swamp, I turned into the Serburne Wildlife Management Area. About 4 miles south on the gravel road, I saw a simple sign that said “Nature Trail”, so I turned onto another gravel road and found the trail. I decided to take a walk.

Everything is green here.

It was a nice walk through the woods.

I got back on the bike and using my GPS, tried all of the gravel roads in the area.

The front tire was feeling a little loose at times, and I learned that I will need more aggressive off road tires going forward. None the less, I was enjoying it a lot and just slowed down a bit. For the most part, I ran about 30 mph in 3rd gear, just putt putting around.

The other thing I’m learning is that dual sporting is a very solitary experience. I hardly saw anyone all day.

I stopped at the river here to drink some water and be thankful for my blessings. A gentleman working on a camp next door came upon me and asked if I was OK. I told him I was never better, and then asked him if I was trespassing on his land. He told me I was but invited me to stay as long as I liked.

I told him that he has some beautiful property.

That was the last picture I took. I reached the interstate and rode it West for about 6 miles to get past the swamp. Again, the DR performed very well. I rode the paved back roads back to my house. After letting it cool off a bit, I washed the DR and put it away.

Sometimes we can’t see the forest for the trees. I learned that all we have to do is look harder. Having the right tool to explore with doesn’t hurt. I enjoyed wandering about my new backyard, and I look forward to many more adventures to come.

Stay thirsty, my friends…..

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Good to hear you enjoyed your off road experience. I felt the same way when I first got my KLR650.
I agree that you should consider a more aggressive off road tire if that's where the majority of your riding will be done. The Kenda 270 was my choice and still is a popular choice for the type of riding you're doing. They are a knobby tire and last forever, even when riding on pavement a lot.
Take Care....

Last edited:

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
Wonderful post, thank you!
I had this same epiphany several years ago. I too, had ridden every paved road many times over and, like the OP, I started in on the gravel roads. I also ran those roads many, many times and was ready for something new. Well, I was out of different roads, so the only option was to change bikes. I had picked up a new, non-current 2017 Yamaha SCR950 on the cheap, took it out for the maiden voyage and 20 miles in, the road turned from paved to gravel. I slowed down, getting ready to turn around (after all, this is a street bike made to LOOK like a scrambler) and thought, WTH, rolled on the throttle. I'm glad I didn't turn around, this thing is a HOOT on gravel. It looks like a retired flat track bike that has put on a few pounds. It is heavy, low and long (I know, that's what she said) and after I increased the horse power by 25%, she's even more fun slinging gravel around the corners. Keep up the fun, y'all! Jevers

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Thank you for reading my ride repot.

I am well aware of Itchy Boots, and she is an inspiration for sure. I've finished Season 1, and I'm taking it slow, savoring 1 or 2 videos at a time, "liking" every one along the way.

I've got a long (LONG) way to go on the dual sport. I have no idea what I am doing - I rode a few (and owned a couple) of dirt bikes back in the stone ages. Suffice it to say I won't be doing any of that stupid stuff on the DR650. Again, I'm not planning on qualifying for the Dakar Rally on this bike. I just want to do some easy off road riding and get away from the masses.

I ordered an IRC TR8 front (knobby) and the Shinko 244 for the rear. I was told by some DR friends that this is a good combination. We will see....

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@HPPants thanks for sharing your journey and the great photos.

My only thoughts are to give someone you know a general idea where you're headed when you go out in case you run into an issue where you can't call for help.
If you're always in cell range enable tracking on your cell, or get yourself a SPOT type tracking device.

Have fun, keep sharing & be safe!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I had a KLR650 , but sold it, as it got me in trouble. Then I bought a DR650, but it got me in even more trouble. So it went away. and now I have a Versys X300, and it is trying to get me into trouble. Ride safe, and try and have a buddy along. But still had a hell of a lot of fun in between falling down. Now at 72, it hurts a lot more, so my off pavement riding is a bit more tame.

A bit of Winter Riding in the mountains.

SAM_2091.JPG

Summer Time Adventure. Continental Divide Riding.

SAM_3522.JPG

Trying to take a short cut through the mountains. Don't do this alone. Found out that Spots do work when there is no Cell coverage.

SAM_1619.JPG

A bit tamer but still can get into trouble.

SAM_4118.JPG

Last edited:

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Looks like the OP is in prime country for those blood sucking skeeters in Louisiana. They're monsters.

OP
OP
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Chuck - good on ya for keeping the risk in check. My buddies with Dual Sport bikes are egging me on to conquer the world, but I'm matter of factly not biting. Seriously, I don't want to get stupid on this thing. i just want to ride gravel, forest service roads, and the occasional EASY 2 track trail. THAT"S IT!

(famous last words....)

Honestly, the absolute worst mosquitos I ever experienced were in Alaska. Those "Tiger" varieties with the striped thorax are horribly incredible.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Another RR already???
:oops:
:thumb:

You're going to have fun on the DR.....opens up a whole new world of opportunity!

But.....doing this.....
"I found some mud on this trail and decided to turn around and not risk a fall.".....
you'll miss a lot of fun and story chances. Besides.....mud is soft to fall on! :biggrin:
Now....you need to find some hills and rocks to ride on....more fun than flat land!
Have fun with it Joey!!!!

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks for sharing Pants! I really enjoyed reading through and viewing the pics. I've long wanted to pick up a dual sport to do some gravel road exploring. My aspirations are the same as yours - not to do anything too technically difficult, but just to be able to explore places past where the road ends. I like the DR650, but good ones are hard to find used and they maintain there value really well. I also like the CRF300L Rally; not sure how available the way this crazy market has been.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Another RR already???
:oops:
:thumb:

You're going to have fun on the DR.....opens up a whole new world of opportunity!

But.....doing this.....
"I found some mud on this trail and decided to turn around and not risk a fall.".....
you'll miss a lot of fun and story chances. Besides.....mud is soft to fall on! :biggrin:
Now....you need to find some hills and rocks to ride on....more fun than flat land!
Have fun with it Joey!!!!

You mean Hills and Rocks to Fall On. There I fixed that for you. Also don't forget the tubes in the tires will go flat at some point when you least expect it. More Fun.

SAM_3552.JPGSAM_3553.JPGSAM_3554.JPG

Top Bottom