A Day in the Rain

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I have been oddly fortunate this year with not seeing much rain. Wanting to test my gear for wet riding, I set off across the state for a tag and some therapy. I recently acquired a used one piece Aerostich and treated it as recommended with nikwax. With a layer of smart wool and a "waterproof" layer that includes a heated jacket. Mulled over not going for an hour or two then on when the stich. It was about 40* and rainy, not down pour but there. Set the first stop close for gas and to give myself an out. As no sign of water infiltration were present, I pressed on. I chose the PA Turnpike, it is a "private" road and arguably the best maintained road in the state. I had about 260 miles to my destination and a thermos of espresso (small one).

Johnstown, PA, famous for a flood and a 70's hockey movie.

IMG_2908.jpeg

So far I'm dry and had nice little over a mountain road and interesting sites.

IMG_2912.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

IMG_2916.jpeg

The rain wasn't done with me yet as I was teased on the way back.

IMG_2931.jpeg

Up over that ridge and at the bottom of that rainbow, was 90 minutes of dark, stop and go, in the worst rain of the day. 550 miles later, the suit preformed above expectation and upon arrival home, I found my socks and boots were soaked. I love wool, I didn't even notice. Now to figure out how to water proof the boots.

Cheers, Will

Attachments

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Nice write up and pics. Good on you to push start and go!
Was it the ‘stitch that kept you dry or the waterproof layer underneath?
I’ve had good luck with SnowSeal to keep boots dry.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Nice write up and pics. Good on you to push start and go!
Was it the ‘stitch that kept you dry or the waterproof layer underneath?
I’ve had good luck with SnowSeal to keep boots dry.
The stich was the hero of the day, was a bit concerned early as the water didn't bead. All dry underneath. I'll check out snow seal, thanks.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Glad the 'stich worked for you.
I recall on the long distance rider email list, there have been mixed results with waterproofness; the weak point seemed to be at the crotch, as water can pool there while seated for extended periods. This seems more an issue with the one-piece suits than with the separates, Aerostich pants and jacket.
Again, reports have been mixed, and I'm certain not all were properly treated before the wet tests.
Enjoyed the photos; we all know if the Coffee Pot were constructed today, it would have to have a drive through. I don't like drive throughs, and my wife doesn't like to get out of the car and go in.
So we never travel together. But it's better than never eating.
(I kid.)

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
the crotch
That was a concern, Dduelin had brought that up to me a few weeks ago. I seem to be tall enough above the waist as to not have a fold there, and purposely sat on the bead rider to elevate any other possible pooling. Somewhere I have a photo of a trailer coffee pot that is a drive thru.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Nice pics [nice bike colors] I want to do more wet weather rides as it seems that's when I have the most available time and we can get eight months of it. I've been out a few times now in wet and dry 40F a little plus or minus it's a great bike for that

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Using brakes in the rain really gives the pads and disc a good cleanout. After about half an hour of regular use they are as sharp as anything. I guess that they get a good sand blasting and steam clean.

My earlier gear always used to feel damp at the crotch, but when I got off, I was never wet. It was just cold. When its raining, anything cold and your brain believes it is water. It even makes you think you can feel it running down your skin. It sometimes it is, but not always. I've never had that problem with either of my last two sets of gear - both were bonded layers of outer shell, kevlar and goretex. I use Nikwax Tex on the outer shell (its designed for use with goretex), and occasionally refresh it with a spin in the tumble drier. It doesn't waterproof (as that would impair the breathability), but it encourages the water to bead on the textile outer rather than soak in. Waterlogged goretex stops it from breathing.
First set was Hein Gericke Master 5. The current kit is Rukka.

There's nothing like frozen rain to make you realise how grippy roads are when they are just wet

I want to do more wet weather rides
Come to the UK.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I still abhor rain riding. I just don't trust the traction and I really can't relax.

I don't want to test the limits and find out the hard way I exceeded them.

I'll continue in it if I have to, but won't start out in it unless I really have to.

I can relate to Chris about riding in the rain ,we both live at what I call the Wet coast. Some tire brands work ok in the rain some not, and stay off the paint markings they are slippery. Rubber boot covers work the best for keeping ones feet dry,if you can get them stilll. Last winter I tried that Flexseal stuff on a pair of boots ,ugly as sin, but did help keep the feet warm and dry ,till it started peeling off. Happy riding,great pictures .

Bike
2009 ST1300
its probably 35 years since I rode from Edmonton to Calgary; more out of necessity than anything else, stopped in Red Deer, chilled a bathtub, got to Calgary and chilled a couple more, you could have thrown in a load of wash, seemed like a good idea at the time, I'm more inclined to ride when my hands and feet tell me I've had enough. I worked on the Norwood legion when 18 ga was crumbling in my fingertips while I was trying to get them some heat, Fort Mac and Grande Prarie, put a MUA in a restaurant there when no truck was shut off [-54] left Edmonton because I knew in my line of work I could never survive there, even here, there's other great things to do, I've pressed these tires that I have and they slip, not only in the frosty circumstances, for me it's gonna be dropping to 3 or 4 C, not rising to 3 or 4 C, it's a once arounder

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
its probably 35 years since I rode from Edmonton to Calgary; more out of necessity than anything else, stopped in Red Deer, chilled a bathtub, got to Calgary and chilled a couple more, you could have thrown in a load of wash, seemed like a good idea at the time, I'm more inclined to ride when my hands and feet tell me I've had enough. I worked on the Norwood legion when 18 ga was crumbling in my fingertips while I was trying to get them some heat, Fort Mac and Grande Prarie, put a MUA in a restaurant there when no truck was shut off [-54] left Edmonton because I knew in my line of work I could never survive there, even here, there's other great things to do, I've pressed these tires that I have and they slip, not only in the frosty circumstances, for me it's gonna be dropping to 3 or 4 C, not rising to 3 or 4 C, it's a once arounder
Huh? :confused1:

Bike
2009 ST1300
I'm not going to venture out in a temperature rise; but having driven this a fair bit, I'm more inclined to riding in cold weather, [gotta get some gear] but a a temperature drop situation as opposed to getting up in the morning. my tires are pretty good, I've ridden in snow and Ice, always good to start off with warm tires, this is a great canadian bike; no heated gear, so far

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I'm not going to venture out in a temperature rise; but having driven this a fair bit, I'm more inclined to riding in cold weather, [gotta get some gear] but a a temperature drop situation as opposed to getting up in the morning. my tires are pretty good, I've ridden in snow and Ice, always good to start off with warm tires, this is a great canadian bike; no heated gear, so far
Yea, me too. No heated gear. Ive eaten my share of peanut butter crackers while i sip coffee in a truck stop.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Treat your feet with Sidi, never be wet again. I did years ago. All Roads...lov em.
I have these, after 50k miles, they need some wet weather love.

IMG_2938.jpeg

I call these my sexy Italian boots, comfy and never disappointing, also I never noticed they have a gortex label. I should give them more of a work out. The stich just seem more robust.

.IMG_2939.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom