The Paulcb coldest ride of Winter 2022-2023

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
It's been relatively mild here since Christmas, the bit of snow we had went away, just got a coupla inches a few days ago and it's disappearing..... unusually mild "January thaw" thats been dragging on.... today, +4C.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I just got back from a 50 mile trip at 24⁰F.

That's not good enough to improve on my -2⁰F and not even cold enough to register on the top 10 but I thought I'd mention it because of the risk involved.

I ride all year but only when I think the risk is acceptable. The biggest factors for safety being clear roads and sunshine. It's been a few days since our last snow and roads were pretty clear but it is a cloudy day and I shouldn't have taken the risk.

My need was to get to a small tree job (I run a tree company part time to make me exercise and to get people to pay me while I exercise) and I decided to challenge myself and try riding there and back.

No mishaps, I got there, cleared a big limb off a fence, cut and stacked logs, and made it back home.

The high risk was due to wind and no sun. On a sunny day, even when it's below zero, the sun warms the roads well. Any small accumulation or snow blown onto the surface is melted quickly. Without the sun, roads stay cold, snow accumulates, hazards increase.

I was able to match car speeds (60 to 75mph) on the freeways when straight. Sweeping corners in the slow lane were fine as I could match speeds with the more nervous drivers by doing a bit of hang-off to keep the bike upright. Cloverleafs (had to do just two) were a challenge and slow but I timed things to be clear of following traffic.

No sliding in corners but I did surprise myself with a back end lock-up when down shifting as the 70mph freeway ended and turned into a 40mph in-town road. Pulled in the clutch, got things back in shape, and remembered not to do that for the rest of the ride.

Sure missed the sun today. Nothing bad happened but risk was much higher than I'd normally allow.

Here's a picture of my winter ride packed up and ready for tree work.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
WR250PackedWithSaws.jpg

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Road in to work today (I'm in-office on Tuesdays) at 17⁰F.

Not an improvement on my -2⁰F but it did remind me to always fill up just before home.
Do not leave the bike needing gas for the next trip.

I left the house today on empty and needed to take off the gloves to fill up which lost all the heat trapped in them from the house. Glad it was warm enough to not make that much difference, but a colder day would have been trouble. Starting the ride with cold hands in cold gloves after the uncovered gas stop was much less comfortable than I would have been if I stayed bundled up for the whole ride.

Gas up at the end, right before you are home and warm.

I'll remember that for next Tuesday when a -15⁰F is forecast. May need to pull out the hand warmer packets for that...if I can't convince the boss to skip the in-office day that week.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
No joy on riding again for a little while. Too busy with dog responsibilities... I mean puppy responsibilities. And the only time the temp will drop below what I've already reported here is at midnight tomorrow night and otherwise it will be warmer. A light sleet and flurries are happening all day today that started last night, light but constant, so no riding anyway for a few days. The snow plows have been by a few times last night and this morning. Very slick roads all around here and the sun not likely to show up for a few days to either melt or cause sublimation to clear the pavement.

Monday we picked up a 9 week old Cavalier King Charles puppy and have been busy, or I have been busy since with getting very little sleep. Puppies need to be taken outside every few hours, then play rough for an hour (sharp teeth that bite everything near), then sleep for an hour, then outside again before there is something to clean up inside. Name is, uh, Charley. And he's about the same size as my size 11 shoe.
PXL_20230124_034924053.jpg

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Another Tuesday, Another ride to work and back (25 miles each way).

Today's ride started at 07:30 and -12⁰F from Woodbury, MN under a bright and cloudless sky.
10 miles at 60+mph along Highway 10 lead to 10 miles along University Avenue. Passed the time and temperature sign at "The Bank" stadium on UofM campus just before 08:00 with it showing -8⁰F. 15 minutes later, work was reached. I didn't stop for a picture today.

I'll take the -8⁰F score for this ride, please.

Ride back on the Yamaha WR250R took just over 1/2 hour starting at 15:15 with a temperature of +8⁰F and all-day sun letting me risk the HW 94 curves through the cities.

KLIM snowmobile boots, bib, jacket and gloves kept me perfectly comfortable both ways without any plug-in heating needed. However, I did have my Oxford heated grips at full power and 3 lower layers (long undies, jeans, bibs) and 4 upper layers (base tee, sweatshirt, turtleneck, jacket).

That's my -10⁰F setup. Any cooler and I need to add active heating for the gloves. I have a 12volt plug-in set of gloves (but need to wire up a source plug on my new WR) and a battery powered pair to try when/if they are needed. Except for the hands, the setup described is good to -20⁰F (tested) or perhaps lower (untested).

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Oh, and I did stop and top-off the tank just before I got home.

The 2.0 gallon tank on the WR250R lets me get to work and back twice before a fill is needed. The on-empty trip meter switched over 9.5 miles before I got to the gas station and took 1.7 gallons to fill.

102 miles in 1.7 gallons = 60 mpg

That's why I can tell my spouse the WR250 is a "free" bike. Compared to driving the (at best) 20 mpg truck, every mile I ride saves me at least (1/20 - 1/60) = 1/30 gallons of gas. At $3/gallon that's $0.10 per mile.

As soon as the odometer gets to 70,000 miles, the WR250R was free!

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Inspired by @sirbike, from whom I bought my 2006 ST1300 in November, I took to the road on a sunny 16 degree morning. No winter gear beyond a hoodie under the riding jacket so the excitement diminished when the cold set into my hands. However,I realized how much fun can be had on this awesome machine.
Look at you on the the list.
That’s great. And good to see the ole bike carrying on.
And welcome to st-owners

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I really wish I could get out Friday morning. Expecting -5F or less down here in central Iowa. Especially since I haven't been able to ride for over a week. But we still have that puppy to take care of in addition to my son's new Golden (only 3 weeks older than the Cavalier) and can't for get our 4 yr old grand daughter that we watch every Thursday and Friday. They all show up just after 6:30 am... just then the cold temps will roll in. The streets around here still have too much ice on them in some places but improving slowly. They might be ready to ride a bike on them by Friday... maybe, or maybe not.

I am still hopeful to be able to get a ride in at temps below zeroF. I just don't feel right letting a cold season pass by without it... and not just for this game.

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
-4F here this morning, but too much snow and ice on the roads. :(

Now if I had a dual sport (or something small and light) and not an ST....

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
FINALLY!
I didn't think it would happen but due to my wife getting very sick on Wednesday we ended up NOT watching our granddaughter and my son's new puppy Golden the rest of the week. My wife getting sick was NOT the good part obviously. She stopped at a fast food place for a fountain drink and we are fairly certain she ended up with E. Coli poisoning. We found out that's actually an alarmingly common source of E. Coli at fast food restaurants. She started getting better yesterday afternoon but still is having persistent issues with it a little bit.

Anyway, the good part is that since I wasn't in charge of watching TWO puppies in potty training and a 4 year old who wants to either watch Bluey or to play with Papa Bob I was free today to go out on 2 wheels and find some cold temps. Charley, our new Cavalier puppy, just continued sleeping in his crate after I took him out before I left.

I won't likely be catching up to @mudduc this year but I did make my annual goal to get a ride in at temps below zeroF. Last night there was a sudden Arctic blast that the weather wizards did see coming, but it still didn't get as cold as was expected. I got in a 21 mile ride where the temps showed as -2.5F on my temp sensor. Since no bike temp sensor can read below +14F I carry a temp sensor with me that can read down to -58F. Good thing too, since the bank time/temp sign was broken.

Starting Saturday a heat wave is expected to show up and continue for over a week. Maybe even rain off and on during the week. WHAT! RAIN in February! This year is all mixed up. At least for central Iowa. Not real confident of seeing more than another day with temps below zeroF but I still hope to get several rides in over the remainder of the cold season here.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Overnight it went down to -20C, likely the coldest it will get here..... morning temp was -18C or 0F........ I'm not likely to better my position on the list, so you guys just have at it. Yep, warm spell coming......

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Overnight it went down to -20C, likely the coldest it will get here..... morning temp was -18C or 0F........ I'm not likely to better my position on the list, so you guys just have at it. Yep, warm spell coming......
WHAT? No ride at -20C (-4F)? :oops:

I know... not always possible. ;)

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Overnight it went down to -15⁰F (-26⁰C, 247⁰K) but I'm not getting up at 4am to just to ride around. The only reason I logged -8⁰F is because that temp just happened to fall on a day I needed to commute into the office.

<<BTW, we should all be using Kelvin. The only valid temperature scale.>>
Next week it is supposed to get to 277 on Wednesday.

277 in Minnesota in February! Unreal...

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Currently -22C/-8F here right now, headed to -28C/-20F. No riding. Biting wind with wind chills of -47C/-53F.

I'd love to have top spot, but I'm not that crazy to risk life, limb and motorcycle.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Currently -22C/-8F here right now, headed to -28C/-20F. No riding. Biting wind with wind chills of -47C/-53F.

I'd love to have top spot, but I'm not that crazy to risk life, limb and motorcycle.
I'm at the cottage in the Kawathas and overnight forecast is -27F, -45F with wind chill, brutally cold. Tried to do our daily walk in the afternoon today and temp was -30F with wind chill. Lasted 15 minutes and had to head home.

About 60 miles today in 17° in central Ohio but I feel like I've been cheating all winter wearing a heated jacket and gloves from WarmnSafe. Balaclava and long johns on I faired pretty well. My feet stay warm as long as I'm on the ST11. The ignition switch keeps freezing up though. Have to leave it idle to warm it up enough to turn it off.

Top Bottom