Alaska, me too?

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Tomorrow is the start day for a long ride.
I prepped the 2006A for the trip.
First task, double dark with ride-on.
Next knowing that my new fender and fender extender might be at risk after seeing @Willsmotorcycle fender issue, I bought a junk red fender. Rustolium has a close blue color match. So compulsive. Texture is way off. No problem, not that compulsive.
Visiting a friend I saw an empty cranberry juice bottle. Perfect.
Just in case the bike follows @Uncle Phil ’s Bluebell, I don’t mind having the spare black bags on to keep my blue bags safe.

My poor digestive system would not do well on three weeks of road food.
I drilled and bolted Velcro to strap electric and gas cookware in the left bag. Keeps the cost of food down too.

IMG_5096.jpeg

IMG_5094.jpeg

I bought this bike in 2020 to replace my previous winter and harsh conditions 2004 ST with an abs ST. Hence the blue 06.
It sat for a couple seasons but I finally did all the heavy maintenance. It ran adequately when I bought it. Very nice after the tune up, and after 2000 miles has become turbine smooth for the following 2000 miles.

Yesterday I did a shakedown ride near fully packed for the trip. 250 mile round trip to have lunch with my sweetheart working out of town this weekend.
IMG_5093.jpeg

A couple hours of final packing and tidying up around the house in the morning and I’ll be on the road.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Congratulations on your upcoming trip, hope it is eventful in all the right ways.

What is the thing in your kitchen pannier?

IMG_0489.jpeg

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Yahoo...! Keep us posted. Quite the adventure.......
Good plan on a throw away fender....
I am sorry to say...but I give that fender extender about 10 minutes on those rough roads.......... :shrug1: :twocents1:
Hope it holds up better....... And keep us posted as much as you can...
T

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
This is great, enjoy the trip!! More than once I had the pilot car 100yds ahead of me.

May the pilot cars be kind, the rain fall while you sleep, and the vistas inspiring.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice, be safe and eager to hear about the ride.

TPadden

Tom Padden
My poor digestive system would not do well on three weeks of road food.
I drilled and bolted Velcro to strap electric and gas cookware in the left bag. Keeps the cost of food down too.
Four Alaska tent camping trips, and to be honest I wouldn't even travel with anyone who carried either food or cookware on their bike (other than for boiling water). I told traveling companions that and the one time a rider either didn't hear or listen I made him pack it up and mail it home from Great Falls Montana. Good luck on your trip but if camping I'd be concerned more about becoming "road food" and other "digestive systems".

You, Will, and Phil, are more adventurous to begin with; I never did and wouldn't make the trip solo, although the first time it was just my wife and I. :)

Tom

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Four Alaska tent camping trips, and to be honest I wouldn't even travel with anyone who carried either food or cookware on their bike. I told traveling companions that and the one time a rider either didn't hear or listen I made him pack it up and mail it home from Great Falls Montana. Good luck on your trip but if camping I'd be concerned more about becoming "road food" and other "digestive systems".

Tom
I agree.. and I've never been to Alaska, I follow that logic for camping anywhere. In Yellowstone NP they said even scented toiletries, like chap stick was something you didn't want in a tent.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just watch the Yukon sections of the Alcan from Burwash Landing to Tok.
And it's the same from Whitehorse to Dawson City.
This was my 4th trip and I have never seen the Yukon roads in worse condition.
And if a pilot truck tells you that you have to follow them, nod your head and pick your own 'lines'! ;)
The Cassiar is the best shape I've seen it in the 4 trips I have made up there.
The Top of the World highway is gravel from Chicken for about 25 miles then turns into wonderful new pavement to the Canada border.
From the border to the Dawson City ferry it's hard pack for the most part so you can make decent progress.
Hope your trip is without incident - but wise choice on the saddlebags.
You may want to also think about your mirror covers ...

Last edited:

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
Safe travels!

As far as traveling solo, once on the Alcan, there is only one road north……you are never really alone. You will leapfrog the same people at every tourist attraction and gas station, and be in the same campgrounds every night. By the time you get to Dawson City, you will know lots of folks.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Safe travels!

As far as traveling solo, once on the Alcan, there is only one road north……you are never really alone. You will leapfrog the same people at every tourist attraction and gas station, and be in the same campgrounds every night. By the time you get to Dawson City, you will know lots of folks.
Must have been Raymond who scared them off because we NEVER EVER ran into anyone we weren't traveling with more than once. If it wasn't Raymond or me, it was most likely due to daily mileage.

Never really alone??? :rofl1::rofl1::rofl1: We definitely were on different rides, even on the Alcan and Cassiar!

Tom

Last edited:

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
Must have been Raymond who scared them off because we NEVER EVER ran into anyone we weren't traveling with more than once. If it wasn't Raymond or me, it was most likely due to daily mileage.

Never really alone??? :rofl1::rofl1::rofl1: We definitely were on different rides, even on the Alcan and Cassiar!

Tom

Yeah, I could post up some pictures of long stretches with only me in the picture too, but you get my point. I can also post up some pictures of a caravan of RV’s at every construction zone, using the same Alcan I was using. It’s like hiking the Appalachian trail. You can hike all day by yourself, but stop for a few minutes and the other hikers using the trail will overtake you…..because it is only one trail.

At any given time on the Alcan, in the summer, there are plenty of people making their way north. To the OP, I wouldn’t worry about making that trip solo. Use your common sense and you will likely be fine and have the adventure of your life!

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Yeah, I could post up some pictures of long stretches with only me in the picture too, but you get my point
We agree there are times you are really alone but if you just wait... ;) In spite of my surly manor I actually prefer to travel off the beaten path with a companion or two I know and enjoy riding and camping with. Not a problem if you don't. :thumb:

I also would NEVER hike the Appalachian trail by myself; someone would have to be holding the gun to my head. :rofl1:

Tom

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I certainly admire your wanderlust Frank. At this point in my life, I am more into reading about others adventures, than paricipating in them myself.

Best of luck on the trip, and may it be full of joy and adventure. Keep us posted on how things are going.

Have fun, ride safe.

Top Bottom