Sadlsor goes x-country on the GS Adventure

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
That sixth gear must feel nice. Do you know what the RPMs are when you are cruising at 80?
I would imagine it would handle better in the crosswinds than the more plastic laden, sail like ST would be. Did you pick up a paper map book at Walmart? Okay I know you are frugal and looking for the freebies at the Welcome Centres.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Brought a flashing stick.
Tons of knives at home, I'm getting by. And Larry was circling the parking lot while I got the batteries, he took me there in his car.
Would have been rude to keep him waiting.
Dinner is done here in Las Cruces, I let that old BMW Nav VI waste 30 minutes looking for a nice chili restaurant that wasn't there.
Cracker Barrel to the rescue.
I got off I-10 East as the sun was setting in a fascinating and colorful manner, but alas. I couldn't get off the street and stop and compose a shot.

20231108_172309.jpg20231108_172343.jpg

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
At 1am this morning I veered off I-10 East to I-20 East into Tejas. That will get me home if things go well.
No map to see which towns I'll roll by, but I need fuel.
Miles pass. (I know, done this trip before.)
More miles, but no towns or gas ⛽ stations. The TFT warns me I'm down to 19 gallons, and one bar of ten is left illuminated, making me nervous.
Bingo! Where the hell is Toyah?
It's right here. And there is a Valero gas ⛽ station!
But it's closed.
But the pumps are working!
Twelve minutes messing with my favorite keyless gas cap.
It worked last time, but not this time.
I tried both keys, in the antenna ring under the rear fender. I turned the bike on again, and off.
Nope. Start the beast again?
Maybe I didn't leave the engine on long enough, so I rode it around the empty, dark parking lot. Half a dozen big rigs were idling, good thing someone gets to sleep.
Back to the pump, shut the bike down once more.
Open, Sez A ME!
Damn, I ain't got time for this.
Out comes the toolkit, and a few bad words. Good the Torx to remove the section of the gas cap tank thing, allowing me to access the tank.
I fill it up with premium, and don't install that piece of the tank ring... the 2 bolts, trim piece, and the Torx go into a little cubbyhole in the top of the tank. The gas cap appears to have latched closed.
Then put Noraly's favorite tankbag back on.
No receipt prints!
Probably won't matter, I'm not making SS1K time with all these delays.
Oh, and it's starting to rain. I put the FroggToggs on almost an hour ago, but I'll probably want to add the heated jacket liner now. Done.
It was a lot of circling to find the Valero station, it wasn't a direct route of the interstate. So now, a few more wrong turns and I'm heading back to the onramp.
It's pitch black, raining, and lousy visibility. There's the onramp.
No, wait. It's that other street! I turned on the wrong one but that's OK, the GPS shows this is a frontage road, and looks like it gets me to the highway in less than 2 miles. We're riding parallel to the freeway.
Now this 2- lane road is getting kinda sketchy, think I'll slow down. The next moment, as I was still decelerating, we pop up over a small rise and it drops down into a flood area! It's dry enough, but there's about 30 yards of sand till the pavement is visible again.
Glad I slowed before hitting that, and we rolled through it to the other side -- where a barrier has been erected a quarter mile down the road. Pulling up to it, I can see this is the end of the road. I can see the interstate, less than 75 yards to my left.
I ride around the barricade, and return the way we came. Dang, I'm tired.
Slowing and looking for the sandy washout, there it is. Just slow and easy, then back to the highway.
The front tries to push through some deep sand, but the sand pushes back and dumps me off the left side.
Well, isn't that annoying.
Pitch black, and sprinkling. No way I can solo lift this with that load out back.
Undoing some 6 or 8 tiedowns, couple of RokStraps, and with the flashlight I see the just-now-filled fuel tank emptying its contents onto the sand. Great.
The tankbag isn't blocking the fuel from exiting, but it sure is getting soaked.
Removal is easy enough, with 4 quick-release buckles. Have I told you how sore my fingertips are from Mosko's quick-release buckles?
Stay tuned, I don't want to lose all I've typed.
Till then, someone took pictures of the event.

20231109_022056.jpg20231109_022119.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Were I closer, I'd drive over to help you out. What an adventure. This kind of thing keeps you young.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Continuing... fell off about 1:30. Unloaded the bike, untied it all - clothes (few), toolkit, dirt boots, drone and GoPro sharing another bag, and the laptop.
And the gas-drenched tankbag.
I started out tired, so a couple of unsuccessful attempts had my feet sliding out from under me. Waited a couple minutes, tried and failed three more times.
Ok, this is called ..."problem solving."
Step back, look and think. Oh. I'm lifting it uphill. Well that's no good. It's stupid, too.
Grab the tail rack, spin it around, and try again.
This goes on for 45 minutes, and I'm exhausted. I laid down on a grassy knoll and closed my eyes... woke up 20 minutes later with the cloud-soaked sprinkles lightly bouncing off my face.
Get up, stretch, go at it again.
I raised it twice for about 6 inches each time, backing up into it, until both feet slipped in the sand at the same time, putting my butt back on the ground.
Am I still trying to lift it against the hill? I slid it around on its engine guards several more times.
At 3am, 90 minutes into it, I had it on the sidestand. 30 minutes later the dirty luggage was back on and tied down.
All my riding had been removed, piece by piece, with each failed deadlift attempt. And it was all wet.
Back on the road and the rain just keeps coming. But the bike and I need some dirt washed off us.
Stopped at the Rustic Cafe in Midland, bike screen told me it's 59. I don't see any cowboys in here, mostly truck drivers.

20231109_072356.jpg

The Warm 'n Safe jacket liner warms up nicely, but I haven't felt the gloves yet. My other gloves were soaked while I was impersonating Arnold Schwarzenegger, so I just put the WnS on after I got it back on 2 wheels.
Cool... looks like the rain has stopped.
Let's get back to it.

Screenshot_20231109_070247_Highway Weather.jpg

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I think an adventure often starts out as a pain in the butt, and it takes a while for it to mature into an adventure.
At least some are that way.
If you don't have too many more adventures, you might just be able to beat the DFW after work traffic....otherwise....good luck!

And watch for possible early morning dense fog through the Jackson area.

Top Bottom