OH STOC

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Chris:

Sorry to hear about you accident! Hope you heal up quickly!

We were pleased with the Holiday Inn Express. The rooms were really nice & through priceline were $70/night. Also, a mexican restaurant & the BBQ place were both within walking distance.

I posted some pictures of all at Bob Evans Saturday morning on the original thread about OHStoc.

Again, thanks Mac for organizing the whole thing & thanks to newenough for the gift certificate.

Connie & Rick

Bike
None
STOC #
Thanks Tom. I had a feeling about that place when I passed by as I rode through town on my original trip to Logan.
LOL! If you had a feeling, I had "More than a feeling"! (Boston, their first album!) LOL!:crackup

Unbelievable!:wink:

Here are some more of the pics I took. More of breakfast @ Bob Evans! Chris I hope you get to save a copy of the pic of your bike! It looked awesome! I'll understand if you'd rather not thou!

Attachments

Hey Earache and Landon, thanks for letting us tag along and thanks to Mac for setting the whole thing up. (Our first ride with the group.) We enjoyed meeting you all and really had a great time. Couldn't hardly believe it when I started reading thru Earache's 'excellent adventure' and saw what happened to Chris! We were sticking pretty close to Chris thru most of the ride till we had to peel off and head for home. Chris - I hope you're doing well, and look forward to you getting that bike back on the road. If we can help, give us a holler. Again thanks to everybody for a good time, and am looking forward till we can do it again.

RALPH

Bike
None
STOC #
The Ohio River in Marietta, dinner with two friends in Athens Sat night, (Eric is all excited about something and Landon as layed back as always) and finally my breakfast spot on Sunday morning! I would have taken pics on the way home but I ran into rain several times and decided not to risk the safety of the SO's camara! Besides, anything from Indy on north in Indiana is just...well...flat!

Oh, I almost forgot. See the pics of Landon and Eric? Just a few minutes after I shot those pics, Landon asked to see what Eric's running lights looked like when they were on! Of coarse Eric obliged us by pushing the ol on button...the ol on button...the on button...the **%#$ on button...oh, come on now they were working earlier today!! (I'd already put the camara away! Wouldhave been a Kodak moment!) After having a dinner that wasn't all that great, Eric left the resaurant a bit more sour now that he had an electical problem to go along with it! Oh, and as they are pulling out of the parking lot Landon quietly says to Eric, "Your lights aren't on." :crackup LOL!:crackup Eric took the ribbing in stride! Thanks for the laugh you two!

Enjoy! That's all I have!:mcrider:

Attachments

Last edited:

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Man sorry to hear about Chris' mishap. Heal fast and heal well!

Thanks to Mac for organizing this event. We had a great time! Looking forward to it next year.

Thanks to Mellow for providing the gift certificates to New Enough! You Rock!!

Best thing about this event (and any ST event that I've been to) is the new friends we made while there. We even met a budding new motorcyclist (the younger Ralphie- looking good in the saddle! :cool: )

Will post a ride report about the trip up and back home later.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Tom:

I was good talking to you at breakfast Saturday. Glad you found out what was wrong with your bike.

Connie

Bike
None
STOC #
Tom:

I was good talking to you at breakfast Saturday. Glad you found out what was wrong with your bike.

Connie
Thank you and I enjoyed getting to know you and your's as well!

A little more time to get to know people would have been nice but, that's how it goes some times! Next year I'll plan ahead and stay @ the same place as most everyone else! It was just to last minute of a decision on my behalf to plan/budget for this trip. Ironically, after riding 896.6 miles on those 3 days, I only spent $45.64 on fuel. Add in the motel and my trip cost $124.64, not including food of coarse.
Total for the trip was about $250.00. Not bad!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
First, I want to thank Eric (Earache), Landon (STindyO5) and Bill Carez for their care and assistance with my little mishap. Bill went home to get his cage, so he could collect my belongings from the neighborly local.

As for the "incident"... At the time, I was riding third in a group of 4 NB on OH-26 approx. 25 miles northeast of
Marietta, OH on a straight stretch of road, when for
no apparent reason, the rear end got loose. I had
partially closed the throttle in preparation for an
upcoming right hand turn posted for 25 mph. Even though the road was straight, there was a slight hump at the time control became an issue.

Before I knew it, the rear slid right. I tried to
steer into to the skid, when the rear began to slide
left. Instinctively, I tried to steer to the left,
when the rear suddenly and violently skidded right
again. At that point, I was very nearly perpendicular
to the road! As you can guess, I high-sided onto the
pavement. My helmet was one of the first parts
to hit. I was able to roll on my right
side, but not before tearing all the ligaments in my
right shoulder.

My beloved SSMST dug her right driver's foot peg into
the pavement (snapping it clean off the hinge mount),
which caused her to do a 360 deg. barrel roll.
Eventually, she landed on her right side and slid off
the road onto the shoulder facing SB. There she laid
motionless, with only the left saddle bag still
attached. The right bag, top box, shield, mirror
covers, dash all destroyed. Given the devastation,
the only item of Tupperware not damaged was the front
fender!!!

Fortunately, I was riding ATGATT. My armored Teknic mesh
jacket, pants, and gloves, combined with my Shoei
RF-1000 kept me from more serious injuries. According
to Bill, one minute I was fine, the next I was
fishtailing. He also indicated that we were traveling
approx. 45 mph at the time. I don't recall, because I was a
little busy at the moment.

Thus far, no one is certain what caused the ?incident.? My theory: either (a) the rear brake partially seized (possibly from heated brake fluid), or (b) engine braking as I closed the throttle cause the rear to partially lock up, or (c) a combination of the two that conspired against me as I pulled negative G?s over the hump. This simulated a classic rear wheel lock up and release that tends to lead to a high side crash.

As for my STeed, she?s probably a TL. The frame and forks are bent, not to mention the Tupperware damage. To my surprise, my wife doesn?t want me to repair the bike. She want?s me to go out get a replacement ST. (Isn?t that sweet?) I don?t know what I?ll do, but I decide that shortly. As for me, I have an upcoming date with an MRI machine. Except for my right shoulder, middle back, and a dislocated left index finger, I suffered only minor bumps and bruises. Let this be a lesson: RIDE ATGATT. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had been riding like those Harley guys.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I was told inquiring minds wanted to know what happened and how I was doing. Suffice it to say I won?t be able to ride for a little while, but I will see you all on the road again soon. I thank everyone for the kind words and thoughts. I will help me heal faster. Ride Safe!

Chris

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
Glad to hear you are OK... Time will heal you.

As for the bike... it's just a bike and you can get another one!

From the marks on the road, I guessed it was a rear wheel lock up. I'm sure it's hard to control if you aren't expecting it!

Bike
None
STOC #
Cnris!:hat1: Unbelievabley good to hear from you!!!:clap2:

So glad to hear that you are doing well and that your SO is supportive! She must be related to mine!:-D Thanks for the ride report as it help explain things from your point of ride! Looks as if you handled it pretty well inspite of the final out come!

I'll be looking forward to another ride together next OH SToc!!!:mcrider:

(Something told me that puttiing that bungie cord on your bike as you passed me was a bad ideal!:roll: ) :crackup

Good healing to you!:bow1:

Last edited:
If you're back in the market soon enough, I know Honda of Marysville just got an '07 ABS in. Speaking of ABS, would that have possibly prevented that type of lock up? Thoughts?

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Chris, glad to see you can post. Hope you recover quickly, but knowing a little about the shoulder it will be a while before you are pain free. I hope you can get a new ride soon.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
If you're back in the market soon enough, I know Honda of Marysville just got an '07 ABS in. Speaking of ABS, would that have possibly prevented that type of lock up? Thoughts?
First, I'd like to thank all of you for your support and well wishes. Next week, I'll get the results of the MRI.

As for whether ABS would have prevented the "incident," that's hard to say. In the unlikely event that I inavertantly locked up the rear wheel by braking when I did not intend to, then I think ABS would have prevented lock up. One of my frustrations is that I may never know what caused the bike to become uncontrollable. Bill Carez (the rider trailing me) thought I was going to get my STeed under control.

Earache, in his post mortem at the hospital indicated that I should have "hit the gas because bikes can either steer or brake, but they can't do both." The more I think about his statement, the more I regret not opening the throttle. However, I didn't have the presence of mind to do that. Instead, I elected to wrestle with a 700# opponent. If there's ever a next time (and hopefully there isn't) I will get on the gas.

Hindsight is 20/20. Having something like that happen so quickly without your intended input would rattle anybody. Hey, you got to learn and live. Some don't get the luxury of retrospective. Just glad you're alright.

Top Bottom