Trip report....Dallas, TX to Richmond, VA and back!

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
The end of September, I started a two week trip from Dallas, TX to Richmond, VA. I started the trip with a Saddle Sore 1000, making it from Dallas to Sparta, NC.....just over 1100 miles that first day...over 4000 miles done over the period of the trip. I posted an accident report yesterday.....about hitting an 18 wheeler tire casing and it can be found here: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31015 What a way to start, huh? The final run of the SS1000 was tough. The tire incident and then I had planned a route that included the Jeb Stewart byway(way more technical than the Dragon) for a late afternoon run....that didn't happen and I did the byway starting about midnight....very tough after 1000 miles. I took it very easy.

The trip got a lot better after that. I had many objectives for this trip. First the SS1000, then five days visiting friends in Richmond. My wife, Susan, flew to Richmond and we had a great time sight seeing in the Richmond/DC area. After the Richmond visit I wanted to do a great combo of the scenic byways/skyways www.byways.org on the way home. I completed the entire lenghts of the Blueridge Parkway www.blueridgeparkway.org, taking two days to do the parkway (ending at the Great Smoky Mountain National Park..and camped), I did the "famous" Tail of the Dragon (both ways) on US Hwy 129 in NC, I made the run across the Cherahola Skyway and then rolled into Chattanoogo, TN. One of my wife's cousins and her family have a lovely home on the top of Signal Mountain. Wow...what a view. I made a run down the "W road" on the back side of Stone Mountain (switchbacks NOT wide enough for two cars at the same time). I made a great run across TN to Nashville and spent several hours in the Country Music Hall of Fame. This was fun for me as I've performed in bands with several of the people in the Hall, including Ray Charles....and I almost married a woman who's father played fiddle with the Bob Will's band. The Natchez Trace's northern start point is Nashville. I started the trace with a plan to take two full days on the trace. It was perfect weather and the ride was perfect. Few cars, lots of wild life, including wild turkey, deer, eagles, hawks, bobcats (2)....and lots of other beasties. When I got to the end of the "Trace".....it was about 6 pm with light rain. I decided that instead of setting up a tent (nice State park in Natchez) and deal with the rain...that I'd make the run home. It would mean that the day would end up with about 750 miles on the bike. Not a problem as I felt great as I started out from Natchez...BUT...there are really lousy roads in Lousianna. Traffic was bad, rain, very dark....but I slugged it out to the interstate and the run from there was great. I got home about 2 AM.
So....I'll post images from the trip in this thread. I'll try to put up a short description of each image and short comment. I'll only be able to put out a few a day. The Dallas Opera season has started and time is at a premium. I play clarinet in the opera orchestra here in Dallas.

Best

Forest

It is really about the ride. So much to do and see in this country.....

Images
1 Start of SS1000 and trip
2 It was very foggy at the start
3 Sunset east of the Mississippi
4 Was going to camp upon arrival and end of SS1000...but did the hotel thing. It was late and I was tired.
5 Friends in Richmond lived here....nice park and pond with fountain just across the street. They live near the "FAN" area of Richmond (for those of you familar with the area)
6 Wife (on right) and friend point out the Sept 29 EVERY YEAR....is a free fee day at all US National monuments, parks, etc. We hit Historic Jamestown and Historic Yorktown...as well as Mt Vernon on this day. Mt. Vernon is owned and operated by a private foundation...so no free entry there...but wow...they had an enactment thing going on and it was fun.
7-10 Monticello pics. Jefferson had it together...big time....that's me in the last image.
11-15 All from Historic Jamestown....be sure to do the "Historic" National Park/Monument. There are other Jamestown "things"....and are mostly tourist traps. Active archeological activities are still an ongoing process at the site.
More to come.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Historic Yorktown battle field and area....great fun. History, fun in the town itself and the shopping/restaurant area on the waterfront is a lot of fun. It was a beautiful day. Susan and I and our friends Mike and York rode two-up from Richmond to the parks. Mike owns a Vulcan (800cc I think).

More as I reduce the file size and find time to post.

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
We spent several days two up on the bike in the Richmond/DC area....just doing the tourist thing. Several treats were in store for us....as we pulled into a very busy parking lot area at Mt. Vernon, we realized that their was some kind of special even occuring that day. It was a fantastic re-enactment on the 12 acres of field on the Mt. Vernon property. www.mountvernon.org Mt. Vernon was rescued by a ladies group many moons ago and it has been conserved and run by the Mt. Vernon Ladies Assoc. They have done a wonderful job. Recently they have opened a replica of Washington's Grist Mill and Whiskey Distillery. Both well worth the time it takes to explore...(not long).
Images from Mount Vernon...I love the freedom that I feel on the bike. I love that it takes me to all of these great places! I simply point it down the road....and seem to always end up someplace great.

Entry to Mt Vernon and in no particular order:
Grist Mill...very successful business venture
Distillery...extremely successful business venture
grounds...a beautiful place on the river
farm....did away with tobacco and started other farming
dock....Washington took over a million herring from the river each year
enactment images....these guys and gals were really having fun and did a great job.

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
We also were able to make a trip to the new Marine Corp museum in Quantico. http://www.usmcmuseum.org/ Wow....
My wife's uncle "Bill" was a member of note in the Marine Corp. He was a member of the famous Fox Company that made the famous hold at Chosin Reservoir in Korea. http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/chosin.htm
This is one very well done military museum. Use of full size equipment was common in the displays.

A few more images of Mt Vernon...

Threshing barn...very innovative
more of the distillery
and me....preparing to leave Richmond and head for the Blue Ridge parkway.

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Blueridge Parkway images.....I'll use several posts to try to document the trip from the Northern start point to the Southern most post of the Parkway. Weather varied by side of mountain or elevation...or time of day. The overlooks were so numerous that it would take weeks to stop at every opportunity. I had very little traffic along the way....VERY FEW cars or bikes were on the parkway the two days I rode the length of the Parkway. People live along the length of the parkway. Most traffic was seen around the small towns along the way....people simply coming or going from home to work or to shop in town. I'm going to try to post these images from N to S....but no sure bet here....
I know many of the riders on the list have done the BR parkway....it was my first time and I enjoyed it a great deal. If you've been there....maybe this will bring back a few memories...if not...perhaps it will encourage a ride in the future.

Enjoy

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Deals Gap and the Tail of the Dragon...
A great day to ride the Dragon. Very light traffic, overcast and NO police.
I ran the Dragon in both directions. I know there are many roads in this country that provide just as much fun (been on many of them)....but ya' know...you finish the ride and you can say, "I did the Tail of the Dragon"....

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Great places to eat along the trip route are always very important! (Coop taught me this....just look at his byline)...

Here are a few places I was referred to or stumbled across. All are very, very good.

Inside the DC beltway (take the Metro!!!):
DINO
http://www.dino-dc.com/
An amazing wine list. Dean Gold, the owner is a great! He's on site most of the time and knows his wine. The food was great too.... :)

Falls Church, VA:
FORTUNE Chinese
http://www.fortunebanquet.com/ WEB site down today???
703-538-333
6249 Seven Corners Center
on Arlington Boulevard, Falls Church, VA 22044
If you like Chinese seafood or Dim Sum...this place is amazing. Be ready for a wait. It is packed all the time. York....one of our friends that we visited in Richmond on this trip.....her parents owned one of the best Chinese restaurants in Miami, FL for years. She raves about Fortune...

In Richmond, VA, in the FAN area:
Si'
www.sitapas.com
Small and quiet. Great little tapas bar and the food was fantastic.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 K1600GT
Forest!!!,,you went to Quantico but you didn't go to Indian Head for the EOD museum! I'm shocked,,shocked! Spent 8 long months there. DC is a wonderful town, at least it was in 77'-78' Georgetown was a great get away for a single ARMY guy. Thank you for sharing your pictures, that was truely a great trip.

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Dave,

We only had 4 full days....and there is so much to see in that area. I'm glad we had such good weather...so we could ride to all of these places. Next time....
My list for things to see and do in the DC area got a lot longer after this trip.

Forest

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Well....the holiday season is over and so is much of my extra work doing seasonal music jobs. I have a few more days of images along this trip and here goes....

A few more shots on the Blueridge Parkway....it was foggy at the higher elevations.
Camping at the end of the Parkway at Great Smokey Mountains National Park..
Pancakes at Peter's rest. in Cherokee, NC..

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
From the park I did Deal Gap and then the Cherohala Skyway. It was a good day to be on the Skyway...but cloudy most of the day. I made the ride across with a guy from Texas...he made 100,000 miles on his BMW as we crossed the Skyway...

Attachments

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
It was then on to Chattanoooooga to spend a night in a real bed. I stayed with my wife's cousin and her husband. We had a great meal that evening. They live on Signal Mountain....on "the brough".....all you southern "folks" will know what the brough is. (for the rest...it's the edge of the mountain cliff)
The view of Chattanooga was spectacular from their backyard. I got a great nights rest for the travel to Nashville the next day....

Attachments

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Nashville was great. I planned to spend the entire day in Nashville doing the tourist thing.

Images from downtown.
Country Music Hall of Fame.

There are lots of things to do in Nashville. The CM Hall of Fame is something I've always wanted to see. I've played a lot of music jobs with people in the Hall....including Ray Charles. A former girl friend's father was a member of Bob Will's band. He played fiddle. My wife's great aunt married Ralph Peer, founder of Southern Music Company, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Peer ....one of the great businessmen and a guy who was very important in the promotion of American folk music and the producer of many of the early greats in folk/country/western music.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
In the Southwest part of Nashville, starts the Natchez Trace Parkway. I started on a three day venture from the Northern start place of the Trace, with the objective being to finish at the end, Natchez, Mississippi. You should really take your time on the trace. There are many things to see and do...both on the Trace and in the small towns that are just off the Trace. You only have to travel a few miles down the trace to encounter one of the MANY points of interest. I stopped the night, and stayed at Tombigbee State Park and then again in Jackson, Mississippi.

It was raining lightly when I got to Natchez. I arrived at about 6 pm and decided to make my way that night for Dallas, Tx. (home) It was probably a mistake...the roads in Lousinana were wet, it was dark...the the roads were some of the worst I've ever traveled on. (State Hwys) I arrived home at about 2 AM.

Attachments

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Nice report. It looks like you did the same thing I did at the Gap. Waved at the photographer and lost your line through the curve. I almost went back and said " let's try that again", but I didn't.

Top Bottom