Hill Country, TX March 4-6,'08

Kelly Cox

SilverSTreak II
OK, I'll admit it...left the ST in the garage and took my "couples bike" (GoldWing)...but it was only because my ST's rear tire is a bit slick at the moment. Hill Country was beautiful, as usual, made even more so by the great weather on arrival day and touring day....my 300-mile trip back to Cypress, TX was rainy, as expected.

This trip began with me heading west on I-10 (yuk) from Houston area through San Antonio. I was actually headed out on a grand adventure to Big Bend, but the reality of the distance hit me somewhere around Hondo, TX and I pulled over and studied the map. My highlighted route from my Nov-07 trip to the Hill Country caught my eye and I was drawn northward to Hill Country (and admittedly, to a bit of familiarity) instead of Big Bend. I'll save that trip until another day, when someone can go with me....

Anyway, I decided to stay in Leakey so I wouldn't have to "commute" from the larger towns in the area (Kerrville, Fredericksburg) and it was a good decision. I stayed at D' Rose Inn in Leakey, which caters only to motorcyclists and bicyclists. Deb (the owner/proprieter) does a great job of making you feel at home...it did help that I was the ONLY visitor on night 1, and only 1 of 3 on day 2. Her busy periods are the weekends, apparently.

In Leakey, there are a few good places to eat, but the only sit-down meal I ate was at a Mexican food restaurant called Mama Chole's....really good fajitas! From past experience, I also know that there's an Italian place at the north end of this tiny town, called Vinny's, but I was too busy riding to eat much.

I did the traditional curvy routes of FM335, 336 and 337...but also rode Ranch Road 1050, which is more of a valley route surrounded by some of the higher hills in the area. Also, ignored the GPS and found that a few of the "ranch roads" in the area are dead-ended into gravel...but was still good riding, and definitely no traffic.

FM 337 is still a mess in places, as it's under repaving construction. From Vanderpool westward to Leakey (i.e. west of Highway 187), you'll have to ride through several sections that are hard-packed gravel/dirt, which is not fun on a touring bike. Also, Ranch Road 470 east of the Y at Utopia is also under construction for about 15 miles....not too bad, but try to avoid it.

The deer are everywhere as usual, not to mention the turkeys...even saw a porcupine in the middle of the road on a sharp curve just before sunset. The deer are running in groups right now, so where you see 1, you'll 100% for sure see another deer or two to follow, so don't assume you dodged a bullet if you miss the first one. There are several more coming out right behind that one.

Also, did a quick visit and a 2 or 3 mile hike in Lost Maples State Park (on 187) and finally found the Stonehenge II / Easter Island replica (on RR 1340 just west of Hunt).

Anyway, if you get the chance, spend a night in Leakey...try out the hammocks at D' Rose after you've had a hard-riding day. Can't get much more relaxed than that.

Ride Safely!

Attachments

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Thanks for the write up and photos! I'll be hittin' that area again soon. Have to wait a bit for the flowers to show....

Forest

Bike
2007 ST1300
Is that Cypress TX in the Northeast TX? Sounds like a great trip and sorry about the rain. My 2 sons and I went to Austin a couple of weeks ago and it was also cold and wet. I'll be sooooo glad to get some warm, sunny Spring weather. I'm also looking forward to a trip to the Bend area. Never been and my wife wants to take the cage so I need a pre-trip on the St to do some recon on the area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kelly Cox

Kelly Cox

SilverSTreak II
No sir, it's the Cypress just NW of Houston....was about 300 miles each way to Leakey.

Top Bottom