Ride to Rush

Bike
ST-1300
I'm an avid Rush fan and a couple weeks ago, they were touring their way through Texas. I had seen them on this tour already in 2007 (Red Rocks in Denver, and in Houston). They had modified the show a little bit and were going to go to some destinations they haven't been in many years as part of the tour extension. Some guys at work and I (in Houston) decided it would be really cool to go see them in Austin. My boss has a lake house on Lake Travis and we were going to make a road trip, boating, lake house party, concert trip out of it.

The day we were going to leave, my boss calls up and says that he needs to back out (work related). My good friend Kevin calls me as well and says that he needs to back out the same day because his kids were ill. Without a moment to spare, I call my brother Tom in Dallas and ask him if he wants to go in place of one of the other guys. He says sure and throws a tent into his car.

So my trip changed from a road trip with the guys at work into a nice motorcycle ride. I left on Wednesday morning and had packed my change of clothes, and a few miscellaneous items into my bags for the trip. Rush had previously played in Louisiana and Neil Peart (the drummer) rides his motorcycle (BMW GS1150 among other BMW's) from venue to venue, taking back roads along the way. I had hoped I might catch site of him on the way, but alas, no dice.

I headed up I-45, to I-10, passing by Sealy, then Columbus and turning northwest on Hwy 71. I got to La Grange and filled up on Hwy 77. Since I had plenty of time, I decided to take the back roads from there to Austin. I didn't have a GPS or a map, but knew this area fairly well (having a family farm just 10 miles north in Warda). I went up 77 for a few miles and then turned west and went along that for awhile. I believe it's the same route the MS-150 bicycles ride. Hilly, twisty and fun on the ST. Maybe a little daunting on a bicycle. I had been riding so quickly on the superslab that I came into a few turns a little too fast and needed to mellow the pace a bit. The roads were so empty that I saw maybe 4 cars the entire time I was back there.

Eventually I came to Buescher State Park. The previous week, my friend Kevin and I were contemplating camping and he saw that Bastrop State Park (that backs up to Buescher) was rated #2 in Texas as best places to camp. (We actually ended up camping in Goliad, but that's another story). I remembered looking online and seeing a road that went through Buescher into Bastrop and thought that might make for a fun ride and let me see both parks and decide if I want to come back and camp there another time.

Riding up to the Ranger booth at Buescher, there was no sign of life. A sign posted on the glass said, "Out to Lunch, back at 1 p.m." It was 12:04. Since I only wanted to ask permission to ride through (as some parks will often allow), I asked out loud if I could do so, and took the silence as an emphatic "yes".

Winding my way through the 1 lane road, it was quiet, and covered with large oaks that shaded everything. The camp sites looked nice, but since I had not talked to a ranger, I didn't want to hop off and explore any of the facilities, but it all looked nice. At the back end of the park I saw a ranger mending a fence. She had a small scooter, looked up and smiled a big wave and I rode on smiling and waving back. It was at this point I saw a sign pointing towards Bastrop State Park. I turned right and saw this sign. [steep grades]

Looking down the road, the trees changed from oaks to large pine trees. For this area of Texas it's a bit unusual and they are known as the "lost pines". The soil difference is what enables them to grow more easily than the grasslands around. The terrain also became progressively untamed. The Park Road 1C had been marked with spray paint to high light risky spots on the road (presumably for the afore mentioned MS-150) and that made it all the easier to look around while riding this very curvy steep road. Since I was in a Park, without a permit, and unfamiliar with where I was, I decided to not ride fast, especially being a 1 (maybe 1.5 wide lane road). Along the way I stopped and took a picture next to a creek. [picture below]

The road seemed longer than I expected, but when I finally reached Bastrop State Park (the back entrance), I didn't want it to end and the experience seemed too short. I even thought about doubling back and riding it back and forth again. But alas...I was just passing through and still needed to get around Bastrop. Entering the park, they had a sign "permit required to enter". Yet there was no way to obtain one. So I decided to ride forward and explain my plight if anybody was worried about it. I was now on Park Road 1A. It continued to wind around and drop down past a pond. The road "T-d" off and I turned right to climb up a hill and into some dense pine trees. The road twisted back around and looked up over the pond. There were some nice looking cabins back there that seemed to be spaced out well enough and with plenty of amenities (fire rings, picnic tables, etc...)

I turned back and rode down past the pond and headed towards the front of the park. At a cross road, I went straight across and ended up looping all the way around on 1A. I left the park and vowed to return some day.

At the exit there is a golf course. And just beyond that, an F4 parked outside the park. I hopped back onto Hwy 71 and rolled on in towards Austin. I was headed to McKinney Falls State Park.

(continued below)

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST-1300
continuing

I missed the exit for McKinney and ended up running along 290 for awhile until I could double back. When I finally arrived at the park, I was still about 30 minutes ahead of my brother. He showed up and we picked out a camp site, setup camp and went for a walk. We had about 2 hours before we needed to go meet my co-worker (who had the tickets) and eat some dinner. The park has some nice walking trails, and the lower falls looks like a nice place to go swimming, albeit still a bit cool for my liking in April. The falls only drop about 10 feet, but in Texas, it might as well be Angel Falls. The park has nice camp sites, most with water and/or electricity. Unfortunately it is practically next to the airport, which can be a bit noisy from time to time. The road noise also seems to travel from the not too distant freeway. All in all, that can detract from the "park" atmosphere.

We headed into town for the concert and my brother was wanting to find some ginger beer for a drink he had been introduced to while in the Florida Keys called a Dark and Stormy (Ginger beer and Dark Rum). My brother had been working with Nortel in the telecom industry for 15 years as a programmer. Eventually they shrunk to the point where they offered him a severance package he could not refuse. He had taken a year off from work and had saved enough for WAY early retirement. Being a tree-hugger, he decided to start work with the Nature Conservancy and got a job clearing invasive plant species from the keys. Some of the stuff is really nasty and really destroys a significant amount of native plants and animals. He had been there for 6 months and returned to Dallas just 2 days before I asked him to get back in the truck and head down to Austin. We couldn't find any parking (or Ginger beer). My brother (now known as Mangrove Tom) graduated from UT many moons ago and was familiar with the area and we eventually found some parking that came available after 5:30 p.m. We ran down to meet my co-worker with the tickets at a place called Stubbs BBQ. It was a pretty cool place and they had their own band there just about to start playing as we left. Good eats.

Rush normally plays outdoors, but this was one of the few exceptions. I generally like outdoor music better because it allows the music to breathe. Although it didn't sound bad, it still didn't sound as good as outdoors. The song change up was really good and the audience seemed to be into it. Coming back to the campsite (we were given a code for the chained gate), we stayed up playing acoustic guitar, drinking, talking, smoking, until 3 a.m.

The next morning my brother took my bike for a short ride and I told him he needed to get one and go with me to WeSTOC. He was very seriously considering it. Especially since my friend Windchill (new member here) just picked up an '08 and is hopefully going with me.

I had to haul butt to get home by 2:45 to pick up my kid, as my wife had taken off to go to Rolex (horse show). Headed back, I didn't have time for any back roads, but did manage to find the bat mobile.

I included a picture of Mangrove Tom juggling fire this last weekend (he came down for our NASA chili cookoff we have every year). The night before the cook-off can be a little strange.

Attachments

Last edited:

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Thanks for the writeup Doobage! It's good to hear that you're getting out of town on two wheels again, but where has the famous "Doobage Tray" gone to? NASA isn't using it in the ISS are they?

OP
OP
Bike
ST-1300
Yeah, my cookie sheet has been retired for about a year now. My band broke up around April last year and I haven't had a need to haul my bass anywhere.

I suspect that I'll remount the cookie sheet for my ride to WeSTOC. I should probably register. I'm guessing camping in the middle of the week will be available as well.

Oh and the white bucket was filled with water. But most of us were lit. I'm surprised nobody else caught fire.

Bike
GL1800 2015
1st time I saw Rush was in '79 (farewell to kings tour) quite a few empty seats in the house...A major blizzard literally shut down the city!

2nd time was '81 or '82 (moving pics tour) one of my friends brother was a concert promotor, and he had gotten 2 Tics. second row center!
he put the names of his few close friends in hat and I was lucky enough to win the draw!

The last time I saw them was a few years ago (vapor trails tour)
I'm STILL trying to figure out what was up with the clothes dryers on the stage:crackup

check this out if you didn't already!...
http://www.bmwbmw.org/bmwforums/viewtopic.php?t=8693

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Doobage, as a fellow Rush fan Im jealous. I was however at the Red Rocks show, woo hoo. I have seen Rush 5 times. My favorites were the Roll the Bones tour in Vegas, and about 6 years ago they came to Fiddlers and played alot of 2112 and Caress of Steel. Definently my era of Rush....

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I saw them... geez... in 1996 at the Summit in Houston during the T4E Tour :D

I was close enough to the stage that I thought I had flash burns when they did the pyro's :bow1:

And Peart's solo.... :headbang:

OP
OP
Bike
ST-1300
Glad to see a "show of hands" of all the Rush fans out there.

I'll make sure to bring some tunes to WeSTOC!

I have to say that one of the two bands I loved to listen to was Rush growing up.

On April 1st 1994, they were here in Peoria. My daughter was born that day. I asked my son who was five at the time if he wanted to spend another night at grandpa and grandma's house. He said no, so I didn't get to go. How could I turn down my 5 yrs old for my favorite band? It just wouldn't of been right.

13.5 yrs later, I finally got to see them in concert the same day Curt rode into St. Louis after the first leg of the Iron Butt Rally. I drove down to St. Louis, Checked into the hotel, went to help with Curt's windshield motor and then went to the concert.

I have to say it was one of the most amazing concerts that I have seen. They played for three hours. They all looked like they were having fun and enjoying themselves. Geddy only skipped one high note that he used to hit in Tom Sawyer. Pure amazing.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Awesome.

I grew up listening to the Moving Pictures LP. Also wore the grooves out of the Exit Stage Left album. Those guys are truly master musicians! :bow1:

I think the last time I saw them in concert was the Power Windows tour in '85.

Geez, I'm getting old! :D

Dave S

STOC #
???
I think I saw them last in '86. (can that really be true?) They sure know how to fill up a venue with sound! A brilliant red Barchetta... for me.
KZ

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Just watched them in Phoenix at the Cricket Pavilion. about 50 feet from stage.
THey seemed to be in good form and so were we. good show..

Top Bottom