Dallas Arboretum

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I love to ride...and I put on a lot of miles on my bike. This year, I put a few less miles. I wasn't able to ride for about 4 months due to an bike accident in May. I'm healed up and I'm trying to make up for it now! :)
This past weekend I rode to Tyler, Texas to perform with the East Texas Symphony. Report here: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50740 Great fun.
After a nice ride home through "East Texas", I returned home on Sunday about noon with family members requesting a trip the Dallas Arboretum. Great! A few more local miles on the bike! :) The Arboretum is located on an inner city lake, Whiterock Lake, North of downtown Dallas...about 4 miles. http://www.dallasarboretum.org/Visit.htm The Dallas Arboretum was developed around two very beautiful private estates, both purchased by the City of Dallas for the development of the Arboretum. One...the larger, was the DeGoyler Estate and Mansion. 44 beautiful acres. The other estate, the Camp estate, added 22 adjacent acres as well as another beautiful historic mansion facility to the Arboretum.
At one time, Everette DeGoyler was the richest oil man in the world. His legacy and gifts have funded two large University libraries as well as his beautiful Dallas homestead providing the grounds for the Dallas Arboretum. I've traveled extensively in my two professions...one music and the other a SCUBA travel business...and have toured gardens worldwide. I can say that the Dallas Arboretum competes with some of the best gardens in the world.

Riding twisty, hilly and beautiful roads is a great pleasure....but riding to a great destination, stopping and "smelling the roses" is well worth the effort. Having nice places, close to home, gives us good reason to crank up the bike and ride...even if it's just a few miles.

I'm going to organize a RTE to the Gardens on Sunday, October 26th...11:00 AM. It will be a bit different than most RTEs. We'll pack lunch and picnic on one of the large lawn areas of the Arboretum. (ah...a new packing challenge!) After lunch we'll tour the gardens. The mums will be in full bloom! Info to be posted later today. I hope some on the forum join me for lunch on October 26th....on the stunning grounds of the Dallas Arboretum.

Enjoy the images.

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
More of the Dallas Arboretum...

Attachments

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
How about a few more....water gardens, expansive lawns, intimate paths, native plantings...
The garden is amazing.

Attachments

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
One more post with images....
The garden has a large pumkin patch staged for the fall...and often live music in a large lawn overlooking the lake.

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Steve....I am also very glad the City made these purchases. If you viewed the garden website...and then to the history of the garden, DeGoyler gifted the estate (property) to Southern Methodist University. SMU then sold the property to the city with the sole intent (requirement of sale) of building the garden.

Forest

Top Bottom