Amalfi Coast

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
I rode the Amalfi Coast today from Sorento to Salerno then slabbed it back home. The only bad part of the day was hitting Naples rush hour traffic on the way back. Temps today were in the mid 70's all day, bright and sunny with few clouds. A perfect day for riding. Traffic was minimal except in the towns. Traffic on the weekends is horrible with tour bus after tour bus.

The Amalfi Coast is like the Pacific Coast Highway in many ways just alot more compact. Lots of fun, great views, great food. Almost perfect, I just don't have any of you to ride it with!!

I would post the pictures but I can't make them small enough (size) to upload. Anyone have any hints on making pictures small enough to upload and still be able to see them?

JD

Last edited:

FGrella

07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I rode the Amalfi Coast today from Sorento to Salerno then slabbed it back home. The only bad part of the day was hitting Naples rush hour traffic on the way back. Temps today were in the mid 70's all day, bright and sunny with few clouds. A perfect day for riding. Traffic was minimal except in the towns. Traffic on the weekends is horrible with tour bus after tour bus.

The Amalfi Coast is like the Pacific Coast Highway in many ways just alot more compact. Lots of fun, great views, great food. Almost perfect, I just don't have any of you to ride it with!!

I would post the pictures but I can't make them small enough (size) to upload. Anyone have any hints on making pictures small enough to upload and still be able to see them?

JD
I am extremely jealous. I just got back from Tuscany where I drove all though the wine country hills and towns from Florence to Siena and every where in between. But alias I was stuck driving a BMW 550D. My families originally from Aveleno and Sterno. One day I?ll make it to Naples and the coast.

OP
OP
Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
Mac, My wife and I want to go to Italy so bad, and the two places we must see are the Amalfi Coast and Lake Como. Italy is so beautiful, but I have heard and seen that the traffic and the roads can be very tricky. Did you feel like you were safe on your MC? What an amazing place to live. I would love to see the pictures. You can open a Facebook account fro free and they will let you post any size photo files that you want...for free! Plus you can just link to it on the Forum and people can go to it that way.
Cheers!
Michael
Michael,

Once you learn the "rules" in Naples for riding something on two wheels it is actually not bad. It looks much worse than it actually is. That said, there are places I will not ride like downtown Naples. Drivers here, as a general rule, actually watch for motorcycles and scooters. I predict I will get a ticket on my motorcycle within 24 hours of returning to the states and riding the way I ride here though!!! There have been a couple of bad car and motorcycle accidents that involved Americans. The ones that come to mind, in my opinion, could have been avoided if all parties involved had been going a bit slower and if everyone had obeyed the one way and no u-turn signs (Neopolitans will stop and back up if they miss an exit and will do a u-turn on an on/off ramp if they decide they don't want to go that way). Traffic laws are basically not enforced unless there is an accident. Then they throw the book at you.

Unfortunately Facebook, MySpace, pick your poison, are not secure and put way too much info out in the digital domain. Google your screen name and see what comes up. If you use the same screen name for multiple sites . . . let your imagination work on that for a bit. Hello, my name is JD and I am a conspiracy theorist.

If you decide to come over this way, I have a guest room. A couple of beers and a sea story or two will cover the rent!!

JD

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Great pics JD, I'm jealous. I have been to Italy numerous times and never tire of it. I will always go back there.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
"I'm jealous, I had to drive a car instead of a bike" ON THE ITALIAN COAST!!!!

Youse guys make me sick.

OTOH, I was on the Cali coast and mountains during the weekend. Not so bad. :D
This was on CA 33 north of Ojai. Didn't get any good shot of CA 190, my new favorite road. Too busy riding. :D
calstoc 060.jpg

JD, another good resizer is the one I use, free thru various sites. Here's one of many sites that host it.

OP
OP
Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
JD, are you there temporarily or did you move there from the US?
I am here for at least three years, could be five. Depends on what opens up, and where it opens when my three years are done here. Unfortunately I think a tour in DC is on my horizon. I love DC, lots to do, but it is expensive.

JD

FGrella

07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I am here for at least three years, could be five. Depends on what opens up, and where it opens when my three years are done here. Unfortunately I think a tour in DC is on my horizon. I love DC, lots to do, but it is expensive.

JD
I wish I could make that happen for me, but there's not much call for a Healthcare accountant in Italy.

Several years ago, I got to visit the Amalfi area. I was in the military at the time, and a group of us rented a Mercedes 190 and toured around Italy. It is truely a beautiful place. I would love to do it on a bike some day.

Top Bottom