Finally, a ride worthy of my ST - Part I

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I love it when a plan comes together. The work schedule (the same work schedule that has kept the odometer on my 2005 ST1300 at embarrassingly low figures) required that I be in Columbus, OH and Saratoga Springs, NY during the same week in late September. My wife?s schedule wanted me to be in Vineland, NJ the following week to be there for my mother-in-law?s back surgery. My personal schedule wanted me to be riding my ST1300. This is the ride report from a trip that made everyone happy.

Day 1

Starting point: Flower Mound, TX
Ending point: Columbus, OH
States covered: Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio
Miles: 1089

It was kickstand up around 5:30 am in Flower Mound for the beginning of my two-week journey.

Fueled up and ready to go:

Start of SS1k#2 Small.jpg

To make things work, and to complete my 2nd saddle-sore 1K (first one by myself), I needed to be in Columbus, OH in the next 24 hours. From Flower Mound, there are two basic ways to get to I-30 East. One goes south through downtown Dallas. Been there, done that. Pretty boring. The other takes Hwy 121 to Hwy 380 and picks up I-30 east of Dallas. Seems more direct on the maps, plus it?s a way I hadn?t been before. At that time of morning, traffic shouldn?t be a problem. It wasn?t. But, I hadn?t planned on other variables. First, it was still dark. Second, there was thick fog. Third, it?s a lot more rural on Hwy 380 heading east than I?d realized. Outcome? More intense ?I hope no deer come flying out of those trees in this fog? riding than I?d anticipated for the start of the trip! Yikes. It?s rare that I get a feeling of joy when I see an interstate highway on the motorcycle, but I felt pretty good when the I-30 signs started appearing that morning.

Once on I-30 east, I watched the beauty of East Texas appear with the sunrise. Then, I pretty much watched the blinding glare of the sunrise until the sun got just high enough to be out of my face shield view. There goes Texarkana, here comes Little Rock. Transferred to I-40 east in Little Rock and took that through Memphis to Nashville. Not a lot of things to write about when traveling on slab. Once in Nashville, it was I-65 north through Bowling Green to Louisville. Unfortunately, some of the most scenic parts of the trip through Kentucky happened in the dark. In fact, just as dusk approached, I picked up a familiar scent of fresh rain. Looked a little further ahead and saw the road was getting wet. Pulled off and found a gas station with a big covered area and set to putting on the rain gear. It rained pretty hard while I was gearing up, but started to let up just as I was finishing. I headed out onto the road and literally within 500 yards, the rain stopped and the road was bone dry. Really? That?s 20 minutes of my life/ride I won?t get back. Oh well, I?m prepared in case it rains later. It didn?t. This experience factors in later in a very significant way.

Picked up I-71 in Louisville and went through Cincinnati around 11:30 pm or so. I?m guessing that ride down into Cincy would be a lot of fun in the daytime. I quickly learned to watch for brake lights on the big rigs to know when the next serious curve was coming on the steep inclines down into town. By the way, has anyone else noticed how darn bright Cincinnati is at night? Heck of an electric bill that town must run up. From there, it was the flat land express (with honors to those original ?flatlanders? from Illinois) all the way into Columbus, OH. Reached my final gas stop near the hotel at 1 am, EDT?right 18 ? hours total, with just over 16 of that being moving time. My second SS1K officially (well, technically ?unofficially?) complete. Amazing how good I still felt. When you take an ST1300, add comfort farkles like a Sargent seat, MCL wings, MCL riser plate and Brakeaway throttle control, you get yourself one fine long distance machine. I found at least 4 different riding positions, which really helps keep from getting stiff or sore. Oh yeah, and props to the folks at PIAA for making some really bright driving lights. Those 1100X?s lit up the night!!

Day 2

After a little hotel parking lot cleaning of the bike, I spent the rest of the day working in Columbus, OH at our divisional headquarters

Day 3

Starting point: Columbus, OH
Ending point: Saratoga Springs, NY
States covered: Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York
Miles: 638

Left the hotel around 6:30 am and headed out on I-71 toward Cleveland. The temps were cooler (high 50?s, low 60?s) but I figured a long sleeve t-shirt under the Olympia mesh jacket would be fine. About 45 minutes down the road, I realized I?d guessed wrong. It was chilly. Fortunately, I?d made a very strategic purchase just prior to the trip. Pulled over at a rest area and out came the brand new Gerbing Signature Series heated jacket liner and G3 gloves. Using the portable dual controller, I hooked everything up and was back on the road. First time I?ve ever used heated gear and immediately thought. Why, in the name of all that is ST have I not made this purchase before??? There?s a special kind of cozy you feel with that gear. It makes me wish I could set up a battery beside my bed and be able to sleep in the gear. Really. It?s that comfy.

The ride from Columbus to Cleveland was a learning experience. For example, I learned that if you put your jacket over the handlebars in just the right way, when you take it back off it can silently pull the remote control for the video camera clean off the clutch reservoir and you won?t even notice it missing for miles and miles. I also learned that if you close your saddle bag and don?t notice that the Nelson Rigg fanny pack storage bag strap is hanging out toward the bottom, and if that strap gets to sitting on a hot exhaust pipe it will melt into a gooey, black liquid and if that hot liquid somehow gets onto the leg of your Olympia pants?it will burn a hole in them. Sometimes, learning ain?t fun.

During my pre-trip route planning, I noticed that I?d be passing very close to Niagara Falls, someplace I?d never been. So, I went through Buffalo (hadn?t ever been there before either. Reminded me of Milwaukee, where I grew up) and stopped at the Falls. Well worth the diversion.

MLR at Niagara Falls Small.jpg

The rest of the ride from Buffalo along the I-90 across New York was beautiful. Fall temperatures and colors combined for a perfect motorcycle day. Especially when someone in a van goes flying by and volunteers to be the ?rabbit? for your speeding pleasure. Making great time, I was enjoying the particularly beautiful foliage along the highway when said foliage got shiny, as in the front grill of a state trooper kind of shiny. Looked in the mirror and out he came, with lights flashing My first thought was, ?what, no radar detector warning??. The second thought was to pull over and hopefully get some brownie points for making it easy for him. I pulled onto the shoulder and continued to slow down. He didn?t. Zoom! There he went?to pull over that van. Whew. Dodged that one. I was doing well into the 80?s when I saw that shiny spot in the trees.

As the day progressed, the Zumo was telling me my arrival time in Saratoga Springs was around 8:30 pm. That meant a little night riding. I had two route options. One was to stay on I-90 into Albany, then switch to I-87 north up to Saratoga Springs?all slab riding. The other, which was about half the distance, took Hwy 30 through Amsterdam, to Hwy 67 and into Saratoga Springs. Using guy-logic, I naturally opted for the shorter, non-interstate route. Only one little hitch?that night riding part. There I was on Hwy 67, a rural back road, thinking about how many deer and critters were lurking on either side of the road. It wasn?t a relaxing ride, but I made it safely to Saratoga Springs. Unloaded, cleaned up the bike (I love Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish!!) and hit the sack.

Days 4-6

Worked in the office in Saratoga Springs. Well, Friday wasn?t as much a work day as a team-building day. We took everyone in the company to a place called Adirondack Extreme Adventure Course. It?s about 30 minutes north of Saratoga Springs and is sort of an obstacle course in the trees?including some fun zip lines. Very cool experience if you ever have the time.

Days 7-8

The original plan for the weekend was to stay at a colleagues cabin near North Creek in the Adirondacks. The weather forecast wasn?t looking bike friendly. Got up on Saturday morning and it was cloudy, but dry so I took off up I-87 to get to Mike?s place. Turned off on Route 9, which led to Hwy 28. Very enjoyable ride with some nice sweepers along the Hudson River.

Hudson River_Small.jpg

Having grown up in Wisconsin, it was great to see some real, true northern Fall colors. We don?t get those deep, dark reds in Texas. Got to the cabin and got unpacked. The weather was getting worse, so I headed into North Creek, stocked up on some food and made it back to the cabin before the rain came. Not the worst thing in the world to spend a rainy Saturday in a cabin in the Adirondacks!

Sunday, the weather looked like it was clearing up, so I headed out. Back down Hwy 28 to Weavertown, where I picked up Hwy 8 northeast toward Lake George. If you ever have the chance to ride in that part of the world, I highly recommend Hwy 8. Nice twisties and sweepers. Unfortunately, the roads were still a little damp so I couldn?t be as aggressive in the twisties as I normally like, but it was still a fun ride. Hwy 8 puts you at Lake George in the little town of Hague. From there, I took 9N along the west side of the lake to Ticonderoga. Then it was Hwy 22 south down the east side of Lake George, then the west side of Lake Champlain. More beautiful colors and a very enjoyable road to ride. In Whitehall, I headed east on US 4. I couldn?t be this close to Vermont and not be able to color it in on my ?states I?ve ridden in? map! It started to sprinkle a little as I pulled into the Vermont welcome center for a quick nod to the over-45 yr old bladder Gods. Pretty interesting little welcome center on US 4E if you?re ever in the area. I thought it would be cheating to just pop a mile into the state to check the box, so I continued east on US 4E to Hwy 30 near Castleton Corners where I turned south. Nice ride down to Hwy 153, which headed southwest back toward the Vermont/NY border and Hwy 22, That got me back down into NY, on my way toward Saratoga Springs where I planned to stop for lunch. Turned off Hwy 22 onto Hwy 29 and followed along the Batten Kill River. Man, I love riding in the Fall in the north! Crossed the Hudson River and turned onto Hwy 32 in Schuylerville, NY. That wound around quickly to Hwy 50 and a straight shot into Saratoga Springs and a nice, leisurely lunch.

Back on my way after lunch, it was straight through downtown Saratoga Springs and back onto Hwy 29 west. So far, the weather had been fine. Overcast, but no rain. Looking west as I traveled along Hwy 29, the sky was looking a lot darker and pretty serious. I pulled over at a service station, thinking it would be a good time to don the rain gear. Once stopped, I remembered my experience earlier in the trip when I took the time to put on the gear, only to have it stop raining. Would the rain really be that bad? It?s been overcast all day long and hasn?t rained yet. I?ll bet I?ll be just fine without the gear. Back out on the road I went. Less than 5 minutes later, I noticed the cars coming the other way had their headlights on. Hmmm. I could see cars a little further ahead with windshield wipers moving. Not good. Really no safe place to pull over now. Maybe it was just a brief shower. Then?around a curve and WHAM! Rain started coming down in sheets. Cars were pulling over. I slowed down, adjusted the windscreen up to the point where it helps blow the rain off my helmet shield and gripped the bike a little harder. Onward and oh, so wet-ward. I?ve never ridden in rain this hard?with perfectly good rain gear only inches away in my saddle bag. I could feel water running down the inside of my Olympia mesh jacket and pants?pooling in the seat area. Nice. I kept going and it kept raining. I finally reached the intersection of Hwy 29 and Hwy 30?my next predetermined waypoint. Thankfully, there was a gas station with a covered area for me to park. I was able to get out of most of the wet clothing under my gear and get the rain gear on.

Properly clothed, I headed north on Hwy 30 into the Adirondack Park. Biker colleagues who live in the area told me this was a must-do route. I can see why. Despite the on-again, off-again rain it was a gorgeous ride, all the way north to Hwy 28. By the time I?d reached Hwy 28, it was back to pouring rain and stayed that way for the rest of the ride. I reached the cabin about as cold and wet as I?ve been in awhile. Fortunately, plenty of dry wood and a nice fireplace helped get the chill out. That and a couple of beers.

Day 9

Starting point: North Creek, NY
Ending point: Vineland, N Y
States covered: New York, New Jersey
Miles: 358 miles

So much for the fun, beautiful riding. Today was all about getting to my mother-in-law?s house in southern Jersey. She was having back surgery the next day and my wife was flying out from Texas to be with her for 10 days. Of course, the ride out of the mountains was great and even the ride down Interstate 87 was nice. Definitely worse places to be riding a motorcycle on a beautiful Fall day. For example, there?s I-287 and Route 17 and the I-95 (better known in this part of the world as the New Jersey Turnpike). All roads I?d be riding on over the course of the day and wow, all roads I?d really rather never ride a motorcycle on again. It started as I was approaching the point where I-87 merged with I-287. Literally about a quarter mile before the exit onto I-287, the rain started. I pulled over just before the toll booth in I-287 and put on the rain gear. Not a fun place to be pulled over putting on rain gear. Paid the toll and headed south on I-287. In only a few miles, Zumo had me turn onto Route 17. Of course, because I?d taken the time to put on the rain gear, the rain had virtually stopped in the next few miles. I can?t win! Route 17 is one of these bizarre NJ roads where you think you?re on a freeway, complete with 55 mph speeds (or more if you are a local). Yet, there are businesses and crossroads all over the place, with people just pulling onto the road at random. I?ve been there a hundred times in a rental car. What a different experience doing it on an ST! Yikes.

Finally, Route 17 merged into I-80, which quickly dumped me onto I-95 South. Again, having lived in Delaware for 9 years and regularly doing business in the northern Jersey area, I?m a veteran of driving on the Jersey Turnpike. However, my ST has a figurative big yellow rookie strip on it. The good news is that a lot of people wanted to drive very fast and I was more than happy to tuck in behind them and try to minimize the amount of time I spent on that particular stretch of road. That said, I have to admit that riding along, looking to my left and seeing a brightly sun lit (the sky had completely cleared), crystal clear Manhattan skyline was every bit as cool on the bike as it is in the car. I love that scene?even if I?ll never get used to seeing it without the Twin Towers at the bottom. Never forget.

Once near the bottom of the Turnpike, I got onto Hwy 55 south and rode uneventfully into Vineland, NJ.

Days 10-11

Hospital time with wife and MIL. No bike riding.

Day 12

Starting point: Vineland, NJ
Ending point: Chadds Ford, PA
States covered: New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Miles: 50

With everything under control in MIL land, I made a quick 50 mile run to spend a day with a family friend in Chadds Ford, PA. The only noteworthy part of this trip was my first time riding a bike over the Commodore Barry Bridge from NJ into PA. It?s a tall bridge and it was a windy day. Pretty fun at the top, but happy to get to the bottom.

Rest of trip covered in post II

OP
OP
MLRickards
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Re: Finally, a ride worthy of my ST - Part II

Day 13

Starting point: Chadds Ford, PA
Ending point: Louisville, KY
States covered: Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky
Miles: 683

After a great breakfast at Hank?s Place in Chadds Ford with a former work colleague, it was kickstand up and southwest bound on Route 1, on my way back to Texas. I?d opted to exchange time with family and friends for non-interstate highway riding, so the ride home was going to be all interstate, all the time. From Route 1 in PA to I-95 south in Maryland, I took the I-695 loop around the north side of Baltimore and picked up I-70 west toward Frederick. From there, it was I-68 through western Maryland?a very pretty ride, even for an interstate. Although, it was painful knowing how much outstanding back road riding I was missing and through such a historically rich part of the country. The miles flew by and soon I was in West Virginia (yea?another state to color in on the map!). It?s as beautiful as I?ve always heard. Just south of Morgantown, I picked up I-79 south and followed it all the way to Louisville, KY where I?d planned to spend the night. Another 11+ hour day on the ST and I felt like I could have kept going. Man, I love this bike.

Day 14

Starting point: Louisville, KY
Ending point: Tulsa, OK
States covered: Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma
Miles: 671

Getting from Louisville, KY to Dallas, TX via Tulsa, OK isn?t the shortest or the fastest route. But, it is the route that let me surprise my 86 yr old grandmother with an overnight visit, so that?s the route I decided to take. I left Louisville around 7:45 am, heated gear warming me up and a beautiful, clear sky making it a great riding day. It was hard to believe it had been 13 days since I?d passed through Louisville going south to north on my first day of the trip. This time, I was able to see the city and enjoy the drive along I-64 along the Ohio River. I watched Kentucky disappear in my mirror as I crossed the river and said hello to Indiana. Another state to fill in on the map! And, a state I?ll always remember as giving me a special welcome. Uncharacteristically, I was riding along in the left lane and very characteristically, not paying the least bit of attention to my speed. The sudden blast of radar detector warning in my earphones changed that. I backed off the throttle, looked down at the Zumo (74 mph and dropping fast) and looked up to see the Indiana State Trooper cruiser slowing down under the bridge. Uh-oh. I looked in the mirrors and saw him turning around and heading my way with lights flashing. Boy, the thoughts that start running through your head at that moment. I opted to listen to the thought that recommended pulling over immediately and hoping that being overly cooperative might help. He pulled up right behind me. Busted!!

Highlights of the conversation. LEO asking for license and registration. Me frantically searching for my registration card only to finally remember (and try to explain) that in Texas, we don?t have registration cards. Me asking how fast I was going. LEO saying 72 mph. Me asking sheepishly what the speed limit was. LEO saying 55 mph. Me apologizing profusely, saying I?m 14 days into a 15 day ride and can?t remember the last 55 mph highway zone I?d been in. LEO complimenting me on having a nice bike (hmmm?this may turn out alright). Me saying I didn?t like it as much at the moment as it made it too easy to go 72 mph in a 55 mph zone. LEO laughing, then going to car and checking to see if I was wanted. LEO returning with a warning and a caution to slow down. Yea!! Third time I?ve been pulled over in 3 yrs with the ST and my 2nd warning. I think I have the good looks of the ST to thank.

Back on the road, I realized that the warning was computer generated, which meant that I now had to go the speed limit for the entire time I was in Indiana?the next LEO to pull me over would be able to see that I?d just received a warning. Drat. Made for a long ride through southern Indiana and an extra boost of enthusiasm (and twist of the throttle) when I crossed into Illinois. I?d like to write more about the trip at this point?but it was through southern Illinois. I don?t know that many different ways to describe flat and farmland.

I-64 took me into downtown St. Louis, where I do believe more interstate highways intersect than any other city in the country. Not an easy place to navigate through, but I found my way to I-44 west and rode it like a rail through Missouri, straight into Broken Arrow, OK and a very surprised Grandmother.

Day 15

Starting point: Broken Arrow, OK
Ending point: Flower Mound, TX
States covered: Oklahoma, Texas
Miles: 294

After starting this trip with a nearly 1100 mile SS1K ride, the under 300 miles from Tulsa to Dallas seemed like a cakewalk. Running down I-44 west toward OKC was painless and fast. Nothing like a couple of pick up trucks that settled in at 80-85 mph for the whole trip. I just hid behind ?em. Picked up I-35 in OKC and sprinted into Texas. I always love crossing the Red River headed south on I-35, but it?s particularly satisfying when it means the last 50 miles or so of a 4,100 mile adventure. Pretty sure I said a ?God Bless Texas? out loud as I crossed the river! Pulled into the driveway within a minute of 15 days, 8 hours from the time I left. An incredible experience and one I will absolutely do again.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Mark

Great report! I enjoyed it a lot. I wish more on the site would post up ride reports and images. Glad you made this trip and had a great time.

Forest

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Mark,

Great write up on what sounds like a terrific ride. Thanks for sharing. Getting to the northeast is definitely on my to do list.

John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice Mark, always fun to do a multi-day ride. Great pics.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Good stuff all in my backyard...

The 'Dacks and the 'Skills are Nestoc territory and then there are the Poconos and Finger Lake areas..ALL Awesome!

I took the family to the Travers Stakes Horse Race in Saratoga Springs in August which was AWESOME..Not to be missed,,

OP
OP
MLRickards
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Good stuff all in my backyard...

I took the family to the Travers Stakes Horse Race in Saratoga Springs in August which was AWESOME..Not to be missed,,
I took the whole company to the track a couple of weekends before the Travers. My first time at that race track and it was incredible. What a step back in time. It's amazing to see how different Saratoga Springs is for the 6-8 weeks of track season. Even the restaurants change their menus (not the food items...just the prices!)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Thanks, Mark.

Indiana HP Officer: "Hmmm, George Catt. You any relation to Janice Catt?"

Me: "Yeah, she's my sister."

Indiana HP Officer: "Well, slow it down, okay?"

(This was in 1966, my '62 ex-Delaware State Police cruiser _vs_ his 66 Caprice. :D

Bike
2005 ST1300
I took the whole company to the track a couple of weekends before the Travers. My first time at that race track and it was incredible. What a step back in time. It's amazing to see how different Saratoga Springs is for the 6-8 weeks of track season. Even the restaurants change their menus (not the food items...just the prices!)
The great thing about the Travers is the fact that for lawn seats you pay 5 bucks for each family member (my 10 year old was free) and then you can bing lawn chairs and your own cooler with adult beverages, lunches, snacks etc...
The horses go through the crowd to get to the racing paddock which the kids love..
The family and I can get a whole day's entertainment for 15 bucks!!

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Wonderful write up, I felt like I was along on the trip. Thanks for bringing us along. Any thought on stopping at Moonshine while you were passing through?

Top Bottom