Texas Hill Country December 2008

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I had several reasons to ride this past week....

First....I needed some miles to *try* to stay in the top 100 milesters on the site. I put in 482 miles on New Years Eve....and it just wasn't enough. I ended up 102 on the list. :) I'm glad so many folks had opportunity to ride.

Second...my oldest daughter gave me a wonderful book about food and drink...and other good things of interest, about the Texas Hill Country. I just couldn't wait to make a run and try to find a few of the places discussed in the book. Here's the link to my post about this great book:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55855

Third...I wanted to get to Comfort, Texas and locate the old homestead of my grandfather (father's father). He owned 8 acres of beautiful land right on the Guadalupe River....now at the I 10 bridge just before Comfort. My grandfather sold (no choice) an acre of land to the State of Texas so that they could build that bridge. I think (in whatever year that was), he was paid $1500 for that acre. I did find this land...but his home and out buildings have been destroyed and a really nice B&B (Inn) has been built on the land. It's still just as nice as I remembered it when I was a kid. This is the Inn that has replaced the old homestead....http://www.havenriverinn.com/About_Us.htm.
Comfort has really changed in the past 8 or so years. Antique dealer after antique dealer line the main roads of the town. There are several restaurants in Comfort that are listed in the "book" and I had lunch at High's and it was terrific. Another restaurant listed, A Texas Bistro (very high marks) wasn't open because of the holiday. There is an associated winery linked to High's and they have a very nice tasting room behind the restaurant. My favorite shop in town....the hand made candy/chocolate store. Wow...incredible candy. I've attached a few images of Comfort.

I started this trip in Richardson, Tx and put 482 miles on the bike the first day (1600 for the trip), riding FM roads to Leakey, Tx and the Garner State Park. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/garner/
Garner is right on the Rio Frio. (Frio River) The Rio Frio is mostly spring fed and is cool year round. It's a great place to cool off in during the hot summer months. The river was crystal clear and there were very few people at the park. Garner is the most active State park in the Texas State park system. The campground/cabins/shelters sit in a canyon, cut by the river.....it's a beautiful place. Facilities at the park are modern/new....with a small store, mini golf (open summer only) and other nice amenities. They have it all...cabins, RV, campsites with electic/water.....screened shelters and primitive camp sites. Note that it is really busy in the high season....
Garner is close to Leakey....one of the coolest small towns on the "Three Sisters" (335, 336, 337 FM roads) routes. 337/Leaky is only 8 miles North of the park....and a great starting place. Garner isn't as central to most of the hill country riding...but it is a great place to locate if you want to make some rides west....into Del Rio and the Amistad Lake area. http://www.nps.gov/amis/ You can also pick up pieces and parts of the old Pecos Trail on roads just West and North of the park. http://www.texaspecostrail.com/home/index.asp The Texas Heritage Trails web site....is terrific. It goes over a lot of regional information and suggests itineraries. It also allows you to "build" your own itinerary based using info on site, your experience and your interests. Very well done web site.

I had some really great riding. Not many riders out on Wed., Thurs., or Friday....Saturday was a nightmare of riders from the San Antonio area. I guess everyone got a hall pass and they sure did get out. The weather was really nice on Wed....fog in the morning on Thurs/Friday...but cleared about 10 am.
Lots of wildlife seen on this trip. In the park itself....fox, skunk, armadillo, many, many beautiful birds (Fritos help here :)) ....mule deer, white tail deer, javilina, jack rabbits, cottontail rabbits....and more....

I got 1600 miles in from Wed-Sat. I had to be back for a Sunday job so I returned on Sat afternoon. It was HOT on the way home....89 degrees F in some places.

Don't avoid the Hill Country in the winter....it's a great place to ride. I'm soon to do a long ride in the Old Texas Pecos Trail region.

Forest

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
A few more shots of downtown Comfort, Tx...

Attachments

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Great ride report, Forest. You are the king of the Hill Country. Wish I'd have had the time to get down there over the holidays myself. Nice pics, as usual. Hard getting used to seeing a silver bike in your posts ;)

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I was off all week and you didn't call me? :doh1: I've stopped at the Comfort Exit on I-10 many times...usually gettin back on I-10 coming down from Oklahoma

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Great report. Awesome pictures. :bow1:

You sure have a LOT of stuff packed on that bike in the second to last picture in the first post.

Did you stay overnight in one of the shelters at the state park? I wanted to do that during a trip I took in the fall but there were no parks with shelters nearby at the end of my day. :mad:

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Khris

I should have called! Next time I'll let you know...this trip was a last minute thing.

Texason

I put my tent up. Wed. night was cold and my tent is a lot warmer than the screened shelter. The shelter area was almost vacant....and the regular camping area was kind of full...so I went for the shelter campsite. The shelter is only a bit more money and it was right on the river...so I took that spot...had a part of the park to myself and electric/water as well. I packed my cooking gear, tent...other camp gear...etc....as well as my laptop to do some work in the evenings. The tank bag has my digital SLR w/lens.

Forest

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Good report and pictures, Forest. Thanks for sharing.

The Hill Country Hoot a few weeks ago covered some of the same territory (Leakey and the Three Sisters) but you made it a lot more interesting with family history and pics.

Thanks,

OP
OP
uptoblackwood
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Thanks George...

I really wanted to get to the Hill Country Hoot...but work kept me at the mill. All of you "trouble makers" were in one place!!

I hope to meet and ride with you soon.

Forest

Bike
07 ST1300A
Enjoyed your Post. Keep me in the loop for the Hill Country. My wife doesn't ride and being located in Palacios Tx on the coast, the Hill Country would be a great place to tour with others in the area.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Great report, Forest, with some great photos. Looks like that cardinal was standing his ground...they can be pretty fiesty for a small bird. We have tough ones in New England that stay here year round.

What, specifically, constitutes Texas Hill Country?

Top Bottom