Travels with Catt, 2009

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Good visit with sis in St. Anthony. The stair well is complete, carpet laid, all put back together. Can't really brag on this job, brother Mike is the finish carpenter. But I helped!temp 510 001.jpg

It was 2-days from Fort Davis, TX to St. Anthony, IN, needed another place to hide. This little God Shop near I-44 in MO got the job. Works for me. temp 8 001.jpg

This one is on Tuesday morning, before losing the right mirror cover. Just an artsy sunrise landscape shot. Calendar? The cows were cooperative, didn't move a muskle. :D temp 8 002.jpg

So, 2 more nights at Sister Di's place, take her and mom to lunch on Wednesday, visit with brother Mike that eveing and genarlly catch up with family action. All is good.

Head out Thursday morning for Casey, IL to reacquire my errant oil cap. Got a little lost in Indiana as no sun and no compass. Figured out my error and finally made it to Terry's. He was on the job with TLC so I just grabbed my stuff and headed toward Adams. But first, apply the new GIANT! Moonshine STicker. ReSTored wears it with pride. :D temp 510 009.jpg

More 2-lane plus some I-57 and I-55, made it to Adam's unscathed. The road construction on IL-59 SUCKS!! We did some minor maintenace, rear brake pads and weld the muffler back together (see Muffler Man thread.) Then off to bed. He's working 6 to 6 right now so not a lot of visiting after the work. Rode into his work with him this morning after a fine dinner last night of Moon Burgers and sweet potato crisps. :D

From Aurora/Warrenville, I visited the in-laws then hit the slab for Indiana and Michigan. Once in Michigan I got on M-60 toward jackson. Nice rolling country in lower MI. Quiet, little traffic, no hurry. At Jackson got back on I-94 for the final hump to Plymouth.

Can you fly? Well, ReSTored can. Fastest continous ride ever outside California. Made it to sis #2's pad a little early, helped with dinner prep, had her daughter and son-in-law, too. Good dinner, fresh salmon, C-O-T-B, other sauteed veggies, and rice pilaff. All good.

In bed now, going to visit more nieces tomorrow. I'll take pics. :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good STuff George.. It's almost like being there.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Thanks George! That's some seriously good stuff...

I've got a little jealously problem...my buddy Ray has a Moonshine sticker on his 'new' wing. It's not right I tell you....

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Thanks George! That's some seriously good stuff...

I've got a little jealously problem...my buddy Ray has a Moonshine sticker on his 'new' wing. It's not right I tell you....
A little heat gun will cure that problem. As for yur own sticker, jus' plan on accompanying me next year. :D

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Saturday, May 9, visited Meijer's Gardens in Grand Rapids. Niece works in the gift shop there. Drove over (thru heavy rain!) with sis and 'nother niece. No motorcycles were involved today.

Couple of pics from the Gardens, really nice property and indoor art galleries. Gotta post the horse and garden trowel over at "unusual sites". :D

oirinally designed by Leonardo da Vinci, this horse is a single piece bronze casting. He never got to finish it, but it's done now. Sister Jan under the hoof.temp 11 015.jpg

Here's the whole story. temp 11 013.jpg

temp 11 018.jpg Another large object, don't know the story but it's really big. :D That's the niece standing next to it.

Second niece's younger son on the slide. temp 11 024.jpg

Sister's lazy cat. temp 12 002.jpg

...and, Meijer Gardens has TONS of flurs, too. Just an example. temp 11 010.jpg

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Sunday (Mother's Day) took sis and niece to Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. Another fine day, again no motorcycles tho.

Thomas Edison's signature from the building dedication in 1928. temp 12 003.jpg

Way lots of vehicles, of course. Last remaining original weinermobile (saw a new one on Good Morning America this morning.) temp 12 008.jpg

One of the displays is a 20th century "generation" display, homes and artifacts from each generation last century. Pic is, of course, the 60s. :D temp 12 014.jpg

temp 12 018.jpg Took this one for ACL, old steam traction motor with a "newer" 4 row combine behind. Huge display of ag. equipment. Didn't know that Ford built the first modern gas-powered tractors.

Ford V8 #1. temp 12 025.jpg

Large aero display, too. DC3 hanging from the ceiling gives a little perspective to the building. It's huge and it's full and would take much more than an afternoon really see it all.
temp 12 027.jpg

Kenneyd's Lincoln (from Dallas), Lincoln's rocker (from Ford theatre), and Rosa Park's bus are examples of other displays.

Huge display of American "freedom", includes revolution, civil war, slavery and emancipation, and womens' suffrage. Display of Carie Chapman Catt, distant relation heavily involved in that effort in the early 20th century. Only mention of my family in the whole place.

So, a great day, good visit with family, and now just chilling and catching up. Gonna do some minor maintenance today (tar pressure 'n such) and get'er all packed up to head east. Have a nephew in Maynard, MA who's looking for me Wenedsday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Michingan, Canada, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut.

CampSTOC is in full swing, the sun is shining, and I'm gonna...

GO RIDE!!!

Details later.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
In Indiana now after CampSTOC and Schlep's TechSTOC in PA. Haven't been updating here cause my regular contributions have the pics 'n updates 'n such. I'll do a big report when I get home.

Click on my name (on the left) then Find Other Posts By...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
George is on his way home, finally. Here's our peripatetic ST traveler as he arrived here in Iowa:

The phrase 'beaST of burden' comes to mind for some reason. :)

Great to see you George. Have a safe trip home. Hope you worked in a stop at the Freedom Rock.

Warm Regards, John (and Sally)

Last edited:

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Good to see you still having fun out there George,
How's that tin can workin out down in the speedo drive?
Such improvisatory innovation.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Quick update:

Sitting in the Aerostich factory in Duluth, MN, using Andy's free WiFi. :D

Picked up several items for Adam and me.

Headed south from here to camp in the Wisconsin woods.

Speedo is fixed yet again. New parts are ordered, they'll get installed along with tars on Monday or Tuesday.

HiSTory: Home on Memorial Day, left for CreSTOC on Thursday with a fresh back tar and used shock on STick. Home on Sunday, put new brakes on ReSTored on Monday, met Mac that evening in Grand Junction; on to York, NE then Moline on Wednesday. (Speedo broke half way between Grand Junction and York.)

Putt's Funeral. :(

Followed Rob Parker home to La Porte, IA on Thursday, came up here to Duluth today.

Top Bottom