Son and Dad have a 2400 mile adventure

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
My 12 year old son and I Just got back from our 10 day trip to see some of the great lakes. We left our home in Ankeny and headed towards the Wisconsin Dells with my wife following in the car. Leaving Iowa at Lansing then north to Wisconsin. We then made our way to the house on the rock arriving just in time to dodge some rain while we toured the place. Then traveled the rest of the way to our camp site in the Dell where we did some site seeing and camping with my wife. Sunday morning we got up and said good bye to my wife and headed to Manitoc WI where we loaded on to the ferry to Ludington MI and drove out to the state park and then back to a private camp ground. Where we spent the night. The next morning we witness a group of rouge squirrels raiding our neighbor?s food, watch one drag off a Hershey?s chocolate bar. We then left Ludington and a headed north on 31 to 22 and back to 31 along Lake Michigan and then hit HWY 119 "the tunnel of trees" and crossed the Mackinaw bridge and back west on HWY 2 and camped at Brevort Lake. Had some friendly folks help us with a great camp site and some home made beef stew. The next morning we ate breakfast in Brevort at a small dinner and got the low down on a bear rescue near Newberry. So we headed north to White fish bay and took in the great lakes ship wreck museum and then to Newberry. Where my son got a chance to have a bear cub slobber over his arm great time then to Marquette. The next morning we headed to Copper bay and then back down and over to porcupine Mountain for the night. Next day we left there and made our way up to Ely MS and took in the wolf sanctuary. "By the way HWY 1 is a blast to ride" Spent the night there and the back to Duluth and hooked up with Grandpa worked our way back stopping in Baldwin WI to hang with my sister my sons Aunt out at the air field where she sky dives. Then Stopped at Blackhawk Park then back home.

We had a great time everyone we met were great time seen so much and even missed even more there is a lot to see and do in the UP. Wished we had kept a pen and paper handy to write down all the things that we were told to check out on the way. The people of Michigan are great willing to help out any way they can. All in all mileage just over 2400

Attachments

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That is just fantastic that you two were able to take a trip like that...that will be one he remembers for a long time! :woo

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
How did you like house on the rock? That place is a freak show. I really like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Good on youse guys.

Do it again next year...

and the year after...

and...

OP
OP
Toaksy

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
It started out that I had pomised him some camping trip on the bike last year and then I brock my ankle and hadn't been able to ride. When I got the OK I asked he where he wanted to go. He didn't hesitate and said Yellowstone. I was thinking some thing in the state butr I thought for a minute and said I can make that work but we where just there last year and gave him a few ideas to think about. In a day our two he told me that he would like to go see the great lakes. I set a general plan in place and we headed out.

I know he had a good time his smile got bigger as we went on. He is also a real motorcycleist didn't mater what the weather was doing we were going to ride acording to him and we did many times the ride was so good we didn't want to stop.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Good for you. I just wonder? Who had the bigger smile? You or your son? Sounds like he will be ready to do it again. I wish I could have done something like that with my dad.

Top Bottom